Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Ever Been Made To Do Stuff At Work You Didn't Want To?

Smiley

And I don't mean tossing Swanny off in the back of the van Baz!

Got clients down south who's head office is in the States.

2 of them are over there at the minute and have had to attend a "team building" 3/4 days in some lodge in the mountains in New England.

Last night they were dragged into singing "Kumbaya" around the campfire…. and nearly died with shock. They assure me there's worse to follow.

Can't think of anything worse.

First day as an apprentice, on site with a psycho portuguese fitter, he was crawling around some planks wedge into the top of a lift shaft, told me to climb up and help him set plumb lines. Fuck all below except 14 floors of fresh air. I shit myself. One week later I was dancing around them

• Site Supporter

First day as an apprentice, on site with a psycho portuguese fitter, he was crawling around some planks wedge into the top of a lift shaft, told me to climb up and help him set plumb lines. Fuck all below except 14 floors of fresh air. I shit myself. One week later I was dancing around them

Fuck that.

A grizzly bear is having a shit in the woods when this rabbit hops up beside him and starts dropping his load too. The grizzly says to the rabbit...

''You know when you're having a dump, does shit stick to your fur?''

Rabbit says ''Oh yeah, all the time, why do you ask?''

Grizzly picks the rabbit up and wipes his arse with him.

Surely, loathe him or hate him, it must have been a spectacle or worthy as a source of anecdotes? It's not like it was a public hanging or owt that would mark you for life (possibly).

It was a spectacle. I just always considered him way over rated and over hyped.

• Site Supporter

I've never been "made" to do something I didn't want to do, but I've done stuff I didn't really "want" to do. Like working in Saudi Arabia on various occasions, once for a few months, which almost tipped me over the edge. I could've refused, but I got a promotion out of it, so it was ultimately worth the sacrifice.

Once had to sign off a purchase order for hundreds of rabbits to be sent for lab tests. Felt awful.

on a mildly related note, last night I was taken to a restaurant where they expected me to pick my dinner whilst it was still alive.

on a mildly related note, last night I was taken to a restaurant where they expected me to pick my dinner whilst it was still alive.

Was invited to do this many a time whilst in China. Usually it was some "carp" like river fish. I always left it to the host. However, as the guest, I was always offered the head and eyes  which I declined. Those boys and girls would eat owt that moved, often stuff that looked as though it had just crept from under a stone. :)

You're not wrong. 2 words: sea cucumber

Gip

Looks like a slug, has the texture of a slug and fuck me I can still vividly recall the only time I tried a bite 8 years ago :(

I hope I never come back as a hedgehog!

Worked in a mineral laboratory just north of Perth in WA. It was basically crushing iron ore and performing various tests on it.

One of the tests was very messy and they had to do it outside, this one particular day it was 40 degrees outside. They made me brush the yard and pick up rocks for 12 hours straight. Health and safety chief made sure my clothes covered most of my skin, I was basically dressed for winter.

How come I didn't tell them to stick it? Because the exchange rate was ace, 20 quid an hour! The first beer after that shift didn't touch the sides.

Speaking of working in the outback. I once worked at a pub halfway between Darwin and Alice Springs in a town with a population of 18. I worked there for 3 months to qualify for a second years visa. It was good for the most part, but one job I particularly remember was anthill smashing.

There are millions of termite mounds in the bush, and if you gather them and then smash them with something and add water and a little cement, the powder sets like concrete. I had a full week of gathering and smashing anthills in 45 degree heat. As an added bonus, on day 4, my girlfriend rang me from Melbourne to tell me she was dumping me.

A mate of mine did a few months fruit picking for his. He said it consisted of picking up cucumbers by hand while a fat Australian called him a lazy cunt whilst sat in a tractor eating a pie.

Speaking of working in the outback. I once worked at a pub halfway between Darwin and Alice Springs in a town with a population of 18. I worked there for 3 months to qualify for a second years visa. It was good for the most part, but one job I particularly remember was anthill smashing.

There are millions of termite mounds in the bush, and if you gather them and then smash them with something and add water and a little cement, the powder sets like concrete. I had a full week of gathering and smashing anthills in 45 degree heat. As an added bonus, on day 4, my girlfriend rang me from Melbourne to tell me she was dumping me.

A mate of mine did a few months fruit picking for his. He said it consisted of picking up cucumbers by hand while a fat Australian called him a lazy cunt whilst sat in a tractor eating a pie.

Still, alls well that ends well.I mean you could have been Kent White forever *shudders*

• Site Supporter

got a written warning for refusing to take some high spending clients to old trafford, company had season tickets there and various other clubs nation wide for entertaining  etc, i said i'd go anywhere else but wouldnt go there and the md had to cancel his plans fly up and take my place.

my one and only disciplinary record and never got asked again while I worked there for some reason.

got a written warning for refusing to take some high spending clients to old trafford, company had season tickets there and various other clubs nation wide for entertaining etc, i said i'd go anywhere else but wouldnt go there and the md had to cancel his plans fly up and take my place.

my one and only disciplinary record and never got asked again while I worked there for some reason.

Good man.