Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Stayers / Leavers (Opinions)

Ratwhite

Reading that on official site, nothing to grumble about there. Two who have cost a fortune in wages and done very very little for us, one who cost a fortune and has been a disappointment, one too injury prone and one too expensive to be second choice keeper. all going. New contract for Walker and extension for Quade Taylor with some of the other more promising academy lads offered deals. Fair enough.

Now for the hard part, getting those we want to sign on the dotted line

But iver realised im probably just talking bollocks because hes going to play a back three

Unfortunately he is and if rumours are to be believed we're signing Kuipers who looks handy. For me the ideal team after this summer looks like -

Bogdan/Amos

Baptiste, Kuipers, Wheater, Ream

Pratley, Vela/Davies/Austin

New Rw please, Clough/Davies, Clayton

And fuck knows at ST

Meh - we can put together a defence that, if not outstanding, should be competent if organised properly.

Threlkeld/White Baptiste. Wheater Moxey/Ream.

Full backs aren't great, but they don't need to be world-beaters. Give them a decent run in a stable side with a midfield that gives them cover, and they'll be ok.

And I, for one, am glad we're offering a new contract to Heskey - we need a hate-figure/scapegoat to take the blame. An on-field partner for Gartside. It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.

Oh well, onwards and, if not upwards, at least not too far downwards.

Meh - we can put together a defence that, if not outstanding, should be competent if organised properly.

Threlkeld/White Baptiste. Wheater Moxey/Ream.

Full backs aren't great, but they don't need to be world-beaters. Give them a decent run in a stable side with a midfield that gives them cover, and they'll be ok.

And I, for one, am glad we're offering a new contract to Heskey - we need a hate-figure/scapegoat to take the blame. An on-field partner for Gartside. It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.

Oh well, onwards and, if not upwards, at least not too far downwards.

Yep....also Dervite is fine in a 4 man defence, Taylor looks promising, we're supposed to have Kuipers signed, & with either Bogdan or Amos in goal we've a defence good enough for this division so long as we play a back 4......it all turned to shite when we tried to play with a 3 man defence that none of the players seemed comfortable with.

IMO what we're missing is a big bruiser defensive midfielder who can give us a bit of cover in front of the defence.....I'd hate to see us being bullied again next season.

Woodland and Lester were two of the ones that you would have thought would make it in our outstanding youth team of a couple of years back. Woodland in particular is a disappointment for me because he has a tremendous shot on him and was an England youth international. Who knows his knee injury may have taken a lot out of him.

Must of missed that. When did he say that?

He said it when he first started using it & at the time you could see his point, even though at the time we had a number of defenders also out on loan.

However, he also carried on playing about with it after that & as I indicated at Forest away, when there was no need to play it, it did seem to be becoming a preferred formation of his. With disastrous results due to our current squad being ill equipped in their talents to carry it off.

In a later interview he finally admitted he thought it a good formation, having played it under Martin O'Neill & used it at Celtic. A formation that still left you playing 2 up top, that had fallen away with more teams playing a 4-3-3 formation.

I'm hoping he's put it to bed, I fear he won't. As we discussed at the time, I can't see it working in this league.

Woodland and Lester were two of the ones that you would have thought would make it in our outstanding youth team of a couple of years back. Woodland in particular is a disappointment for me because he has a tremendous shot on him and was an England youth international. Who knows his knee injury may have taken a lot out of him.

Jesus, we don't get many of those!