Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Moon landings (?)

Underpants

• Site Supporter

Nothing wrong with plate pies. As mentioned, the moisture to pastry ratio is better than a deep filled pie. My mum used to make plate meat pies and gravy for tea and I really fucking miss them.

She also made potato pie, which was basically Lobby with a massive suet crust on in a pan that looked like she’d nicked from a prison. It was the only thing she made I couldn’t eat. She could make a full pan last for days.

I’m basically working class with culinary aspirations.

2 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Hunters do great plate pies.

Because it's a shallow dish, they are much more moist with a better balance between meat and pastry than a deep fill.

Cheese and Onion plate pies are my fav, with lancashire cheese and white onion. Never had one as good as my Nana used to make and she never wrote down the recipe. I think the magic was in white pepper.

Smithills coaching house used to do a decent version of a Lancashire Cheese and Onion pie before it got solg to rich land developers for arsehole in 4x4s to have flats.

My mam couldn't cook for shit, because her mam couldn't either, but had about six dishes she could pull off...

She did sommat similar to the lanky cheese pie but with bacon.

Tried to recreate it, but my chef side can't help but poncify it up...

She also did a belting oven baked steak and onions - tried to do it but adhere to cheffy conventions I've been taught and it never tastes the same.

Chef and kitchen work is the wankest job going.

Work your arse off, when everyone else is enjoying themselves. You end up knocking about with the same twats you've just spent ten hours with...

And perversely your diet becomes compromised of utter shite.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Nothing wrong with plate pies. As mentioned, the moisture to pastry ratio is better than a deep filled pie. My mum used to make plate meat pies and gravy for tea and I really fucking miss them.

She also made potato pie, which was basically Lobby with a massive suet crust on in a pan that looked like she’d nicked from a prison. It was the only thing she made I couldn’t eat. She could make a full pan last for days.

I’m basically working class with culinary aspirations.

I'd be gutted when my mam hadn't been arsed to make the suet crust on a similar dish...

Same if we had broth from leftover lamb shoulder from Sunday tea and 'pot herbs' - but she hadn't been arsed to make suet dumplings.

Without those additions it pretty much was peasant food.