Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Burnden Park Pitch

Underpants

20 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

Some great pics on the nostalgia section of that site.

One v United at home in 78/79, first time I've seen pics from that match.

Cracker of Jeff Chandler with Dave Felgate, and a player I don't recognise.

Brilliant pics. As long as you ignore the ones of Cuntona towards the end.

19 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Great pics on there. I was amazed to see seats in The Lever End when Frankie was playing. Was convinced that they went in much later than that 

They went in for that season back in div 1 1978. My and my dad got season tickets that season

4 hours ago, mickbrown said:

They went in for that season back in div 1 1978. My and my dad got season tickets that season

If you’d asked me the year they went in I would have guessed at around 85. I have such strong memories of “We are The Lever, The Lever Enders” that I’m amazed that I’m remembering from when I was less than 14

That said, me and my Dad always stood on the Burnden Paddock and I clearly remember it getting a lot more packed and a lot of trouble at the Embankment end of the paddock so it makes sense now 

• Site Supporter
On 03/04/2020 at 17:41, MancWanderer said:

Great pics on there. I was amazed to see seats in The Lever End when Frankie was playing. Was convinced that they went in much later than that 

Wasn't it after we'd survived the first trip to the top division?

• Site Supporter
27 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Wasn't it after we'd survived the first trip to the top division?

Pretty sure you're right mate,I remember sitting in them really low down for that pre christmas Friday night game against utd couldn't see beyond half way. 

Definitely summer of 78 after promotion to Div 1.  No top flight games were played with standing in Lever End.  Thinking how the ground was in 77-78, it was superb, then the seats were put in behind one goal and a few years later the Embankment was a no-go zone for home fans (even before the Co-op wall).  Then they fenced off about a quarter of the Burnden Paddock.  4 great sides/ends to stand on became less than 2.