Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

1923 cup final

Mounts Kipper

17 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Apparently we only took 5000 fans. 

Mounts - I questioned that figure when I first read the book  

Don't want to discredit that book "The lads of 23" , because its a great read ,  but they relied on some rather lazy journalism , a lot of which was syndicated , in that If one newspaper reported it , the majority just copied and repeated it. 

That figure when traced back , if you read some of the reports carefully ,  is the people leaving Bolton station that day

They looked at the number of special trains leaving Bolton that day and came up with a figure of " over 5000 " 

If you caught a train from Manchester , Wigan or Preston which a lot of people had to you because seats were not available you were not included in that total. 

To put it in context - We took more than 5000 to the 1904 cup final at Crystal palace and best part of 20,000 to the 1926 final. 

1 hour ago, Benny The Ball said:

Mounts - I questioned that figure when I first read the book  

Don't want to discredit that book "The lads of 23" , because its a great read ,  but they relied on some rather lazy journalism , a lot of which was syndicated , in that If one newspaper reported it , the majority just copied and repeated it. 

That figure when traced back , if you read some of the reports carefully ,  is the people leaving Bolton station that day

They looked at the number of special trains leaving Bolton that day and came up with a figure of " over 5000 " 

If you caught a train from Manchester , Wigan or Preston which a lot of people had to you because seats were not available you were not included in that total. 

To put it in context - We took more than 5000 to the 1904 cup final at Crystal palace and best part of 20,000 to the 1926 final. 

I was surprised if that figure to be honest especially as cup fever had really took hold of the town, the book says we took 5k  to Huddersfield which was 12.5% of the crowd, I’d expect we took many more,  remember the cup tie their in the 70s, think we took 8000. 

think I’m wrong with 8000, just checked the attendance was 27k that day, Huddersfield previous biggest crowd that season was less than 11k so we must of took something like 12k. 

I do remember sitting on the slipway at Kearsley waiting to get on St. Peter’s way and I counted over 100 coaches passing before we managed to get on the motorway. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• 2 weeks later...

There was a article in the Bolton news think it was last year about one of the 1923 players who went on to manage or was assistant manger of the great Austria side of the 1930 S then went to Holland and was given credit for coming up with total football style . Don’t know if anyone read it and can remember who he was ? 

1 hour ago, Farnywhite said:

There was a article in the Bolton news think it was last year about one of the 1923 players who went on to manage or was assistant manger of the great Austria side of the 1930 S then went to Holland and was given credit for coming up with total football style . Don’t know if anyone read it and can remember who he was ? 

Yes - The player you are referring to is Bob Glendenning 

He played for Bolton before the first world war - he was not actually part of the 1923 side 

The article you refer to is here - fascinating - https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/17688059.how-ex-bolton-player-bob-glendenning-helped-shape-dutch-football/

and an ex Landlord of the Ainsworth Arms 

2 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

Yes - The player you are referring to is Bob Glendenning 

He played for Bolton before the first world war - he was not actually part of the 1923 side 

The article you refer to is here - fascinating - https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/17688059.how-ex-bolton-player-bob-glendenning-helped-shape-dutch-football/

and an ex Landlord of the Ainsworth Arms 

Splendid article that. 👍