Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oldham home

DomRepWanderer

I like White in the middle with Tutte and would have them to as my central midfield but Whites unavailable.

Comley is shocking Crawford and Sarcevic not much better.

As i said maybe the captaincy is affecting Sarcevic

Tuesday night Evatt can again pick the usual suspects Comley, Crawford and Sarcevic or he could try something new.

Maybe a midfield 4 with Tutte and young Riley central and Darcy Kioso out wide

For me we lack true midfielders but over run with these Hybrid [his words] Wing backs

5 hours ago, jules_darby said:

Darcy in CM?! Jesus. Can only assume you don’t remember when Elmander played there at Wembley?

You've lost m e there Jules.  Elmander was a striker so was out of position in midfield.  I know we've not seen him in the flesh for 7 months, but isnt Darcy a central midfielder?  And a good one.

20 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

You've lost m e there Jules.  Elmander was a striker so was out of position in midfield.  I know we've not seen him in the flesh for 7 months, but isnt Darcy a central midfielder?  And a good one.

Not really; he’s more in the point or #10 role than a traditional box to box or holding CM

And we need to win the battles in the middle of the park right now; a lightweight Darcy would not help that

I like the kid but we’re struggling as it is with Comley/Tutte and Sarc with Crawford slightly further forward....IMO you’re Not using him in this 4-4-2 folk are clamouring for (Like Elmander at Wembley), unless you're dropping one of the front 2 or playing him on the right 

if we’re swapping out Crawford it’s not changing that much to be the panacea we’ve been looking for 

5 hours ago, kent_white said:

I remember reading when he signed that Comley had the best pass completion record of any player in the division last year.

One of the perils of recruiting from an excel spreadsheet I guess?

His pass completion for us is probably decent, but that's because 90% are 10 yards sideways or backwards.  Crawford's not going to have a 90% pass rate when he's trying, successfully or not, to play incisive passes to the front men most of the time.  Last season Hernandes at Man U had a 75% pass completion which was the 128th best in the prem out of 147 midfielders.  He got loads of assists and a few goals and anyone can see he's a decent player.   Not being harsh on Comley but his limitations are obvious, even when he has an error free spell its all played out around the halfway line with safe passes, it asks no questions of the opposition and he's not breaking up opposition attacks.

The strange thing for me is we take all these risks at the back, I presume to draw teams out, but then are completely pedestrian and laboured when we do attack?

They look like they playing with fear to me, too scared of making mistakes so don't take risks.

And the middle three are not functioning which doesn't gel us together in this formation either 

2 hours ago, jules_darby said:

Not really; he’s more in the point or #10 role than a traditional box to box or holding CM

And we need to win the battles in the middle of the park right now; a lightweight Darcy would not help that

I like the kid but we’re struggling as it is with Comley/Tutte and Sarc with Crawford slightly further forward....IMO you’re Not using him in this 4-4-2 folk are clamouring for (Like Elmander at Wembley), unless you're dropping one of the front 2 or playing him on the right 

if we’re swapping out Crawford it’s not changing that much to be the panacea we’ve been looking for 

I dont see anyone in the squad that's capable of winning the battles in midfield, physically.  Either too small/lightweight (Darcy, Crawford, Comley, Tutte, White) or just too slow and cumbersome (Sarcevic).  So in that respect nothing is lost to have Darcy in there, but you gain his "engine" and enthusiasm, a quick brain and more attack minded game than most of the others.  Even if he's not in the first 11 it still doesnt make sense to me how he hasnt been an option from the bench for even 5 minutes when 22 other outfield players have had a chance, some after walking into the club 2 days before a game.  And as you say - play him wide on the right occasionally if he cant be in the middle, it would immediately improve our crossing for me, as well as being a dead ball option.  If we were creating chances without him or looking solid in midfield fair enough but IE is getting it wrong for now.

2 hours ago, jules_darby said:

He should have started Tutte yesterday and it could have been a different outcome. 

7 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

He should have started Tutte yesterday and it could have been a different outcome. 

I’m with you on Tutte should have played. I can only think it was his previous comments about him not being ready for 90 mins and there being a game on Tues?

20 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

I’m with you on Tutte should have played. I can only think it was his previous comments about him not being ready for 90 mins and there being a game on Tues?

We can all have opinions on who should play but if its based on who's training the best its all pointless speculation.  Tutte hasnt trained as well as Comley, and so on.  Taft must be one of the worst trainers (assuming he's not injured), and IE wouldn't have found that out until after he signed him.

6 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

We can all have opinions on who should play but if its based on who's training the best its all pointless speculation.  Tutte hasnt trained as well as Comley, and so on.  Taft must be one of the worst trainers (assuming he's not injured), and IE wouldn't have found that out until after he signed him.

I train well; maybe I will get a game

11 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

It’s not going to be all about training but he does see them 95% more then we do.

I believe his training comments were aimed at Darcy and not Tutte though

What I find a bit worrying is that he's pitched himself as a progressive football man and is trying to use 40 year old tactics to motivate players by publically calling them all shit.

He called every single one of them out and the only common denominator between them is the time they've spent training under him and his staff.

Edited by ErnestTurnip

• Site Supporter

I suppose having signed so many players, some are going to be shit. You can do all the background checks in the world, speak to former team mates/coaches etc but you’ll never get it 100% right.

As time goes by, he’ll weed out the poor trainers, them who can’t settle in the area etc. Its going to take time. Now is the time for patience

7 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I suppose having signed so many players, some are going to be shit. You can do all the background checks in the world, speak to former team mates/coaches etc but you’ll never get it 100% right.

As time goes by, he’ll weed out the poor trainers, them who can’t settle in the area etc. Its going to take time. Now is the time for patience

10 of Oldham’s starting line up was all new to the club with a mixture of frees & loans

9 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Not much between Comley & Tutte, both bang average L2 players, although Tutte seems slightly better at the moment, said it before, we should have retained Lowe, we don't have any ball winners now White is injured and that midfield needs shoring up big time.

Crellin looks okay, although it looks like his mother has cut his hair using the old saucepan trick 🧑

I know what you mean that they are both Div 2 players, but Tutte just looks far better on the evidence so far, assured and safe in possession with a football brain, and forward thinking.  Not going to rip up trees granted.  Agree on Lowe, if keeping him was an option, I always assumed Div 2 would be beneath him (it is) so its very frustrating he settled for Salford when at least Blackpool or Fleetwood would have made more footballing sense.  Unsure what you mean about White though, if he's won any tackles in the games he's played I must have missed them.  Looks very non league to me.