Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

F1 2022

Winchester White

• Members
46 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Although Seb can be an annoying twat at times fair play to him saying outright that he won’t race at Sochi

FIA slow to pull the race from the calendar as expected 

I like Seb got a lot of time for him. Real competitor and always one to stand up for equal rights or morals. Top fella

4 hours ago, Rudy said:

I like Seb got a lot of time for him. Real competitor and always one to stand up for equal rights or morals. Top fella

1 hour ago, Winchester White said:

Used to think he was a total tit with his antics at Ferrari but he seems like a completely different bloke now, top marks Seb 👍

That’s me now. He’s changed from being a bit entitled and petulant to being a very principled bloke. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he soon stands up and says he’s not racing in the Middle East due to human rights issues. Much as I like Lewis he could learn from Seb about how to go about raising issues without annoying some folk ie  take a stand, state the facts and don’t criticise others

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Ferrari will be fastest this year.

Bosses have stuck a picture of a Russian tank on the rear view mirrors.

Alpine will be fastest but they’ll be going backwards

I record the qualifying on Saturday (about 1pm) and the race on the Sunday (about 2pm) and keep away from the news to watch the recording with a beer early evening as I’m usually busy weekend afternoons. Keep an eye on this thread and you’ll know when races are coming up

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, kent_white said:

Right - I'm going to try and give F1 a fair go this season. Where do I start. Bearing in mind my baseline is realising there's a race on about three times every season when there are about ten laps left?

You have to accept straight away that whilst the drivers tend to take the limelight, it’s as much about the lads and lasses building and running the cars as it is about the lads (entirely lads for now) that drive them.

In this order, the key parts of F1 are:

The car

The driver

The tyres

Strategy is key in terms of when to change tyres and what compounds to choose (this is the part that probably turns a lot of people off the sport, but it really is a vital call by the teams in terms of when to swap and to which compound). Tyre strategy is probably the biggest deciding factor for half the races during a season.

Theres always a few crashes. Watching a million quids worth of colourful carbon fibre being shattered all over a racetrack is quite fun.

Drivers - Hamilton and Verstappen have the best cars. Ignore the old trope about them winning easily for that reason. They’re in those cars because they’re the best drivers. Plain and simple.

47 minutes ago, Spider said:

@kent_white

if you’ve got sky sports, there’s a good documentary on sky sports 1 tonight called Duel. It’s about last season and I think will get you very interested…

Thanks mate - and thanks for your reply yesterday. 

What am I supposed to do? Support a driver or a manufacturer? 

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Entirely up to you.

I will always have a soft spot for the Williams team.

Then it's any British driver really for me although plenty of others past and present are characters or really good drivers that I like to see do well also.

1 minute ago, Winchester White said:

Entirely up to you.

I will always have a soft spot for the Williams team.

Then it's any British driver really for me although plenty of others past and present are characters or really good drivers that I like to see do well also.

I think that's the problem - when you've no emotional investment in it. What's that young British lad called? 

50 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I think that's the problem - when you've no emotional investment in it. What's that young British lad called? 

1 hour ago, kent_white said:

That's the beauty of it for me, it's not like footy where you've got your tribal allegiance.

Mclaren are my team, always root for them and enjoying seeing their resurgence but Lewis is that good at what he does, he's one of if not the greatest of all time, and one of ours, that I can't help but support him.

Also fallen a little bit in love with Kimi Raikkonen over the years. There'll definitely be something missing this year without him. 

Edited by boogs