Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Strawberry plants

TMGJ - you're the man with green fingers. I've sown a wildflower medow ptach over the weekend (we have a very strange garden - all levels, with parts on a very steep incline)

So we've done away with lawns and wanted to create a large wildflower gardern ovelooking the upper decked area. Now, the question is we've put down a load of compost as the soil isn't great, scattered a lot of seeds, racked and watered (it also get really dry) so how often do I need to water and what's the best way to get them to take?

We also have a vertical wall with about 40 cells that we've planted in. It gets some sun but not a lot, we've had joy with snapdragons, herbs and we're trailing ivy. We'd like to add dome more colour - any thoughts?

Why are you tarting up someone else's house? You should change the locks rack up a load of debt that requires them to go to court to evict you, then the night before the eviction - smash the gaff up, hacksaw through the central heating and water pipes and take a hammer to the bathroom fixments, wear safety goggles doing this, store your piss in milk bottles for a month beforehand and leave them, in the last week move into one room and defecate in all the other rooms, then spray paint "A nonce owns this house" on the pavement outside. Then do a moonlight flit.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

29 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Why are you tarting up someone else's house? You should change the locks rack up a load of debt that requires them to go to court to evict you, then the night before the eviction - smash the gaff up, hacksaw through the central heating and water pipes and take a hammer to the bathroom fixments, wear safety goggles doing this, store your piss in milk bottles for a month beforehand and leave them, in the last week move into one room and defecate in all the other rooms, then spray paint "A nonce owns this house" on the pavement outside. Then do a moonlight flit.

Because I don't live in Great Lever.

2 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Says the bloke who lives in twelve finger-land on a big hill that has eyes, and takes four hours to get to a train station.

Living in a small village with shit transport links keeps the tramps out. Plus it's too fucking cold to live rough up here.

3 minutes ago, Traf said:

Living in a small village with shit transport links keeps the tramps out. Plus it's too fucking cold to live rough up here.

Weren't you originally brought up in Farnworth? Apart from one or two roads it was solely populated by tramps, and still is, that's why we moved away in the late 70's, my old man looked at a massive house on Bolton Road before we moved to GL (the nice bit) had six brick Garages out back, they couldn't get a mortgage because it was so dilapidated and vile druggy squatters had been in it, my dad had the cash for all the peripherals and him and his two brothers were all tradesmen, but they wouldn't have it (the brokers) About four years later he could've sold it for a packet to be a nursing home.

44 minutes ago, Traf said:

But if you did...

...those alterations would have been done before you got there.

They'd do annual planting for us? Very generous of them.

Being seasoned renters, we are good with potted plants and any we do plant (aside of stuff like bulbs) we usually dig up and re-home in the new place.

Also good with a bit of festoon lights, which we also take with us.

Been members of the RHS for years - always got good tips for urban gardens/unsual spaces 

Just now, Not in Crawley said:

They'd do annual planting for us? Very generous of them.

Being seasoned renters, we are good with potted plants and any we do plant (aside of stuff like bulbs) we usually dig up and re-home in the new place.

Also good with a bit of festoon lights, which we also take with us.

Been members of the RHS for years - always got good tips for urban gardens/unsual spaces 

Whilst you're here...

Beauty & The Beast (?I think?) at Manchester. Cheap tickets anywhere?

12 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Weren't you originally brought up in Farnworth? Apart from one or two roads it was solely populated by tramps, and still is, that's why we moved away in the late 70's, my old man looked at a massive house on Bolton Road before we moved to GL (the nice bit) had six brick Garages out back, they couldn't get a mortgage because it was so dilapidated and vile druggy squatters had been in it, my dad had the cash for all the peripherals and him and his two brothers were all tradesmen, but they wouldn't have it (the brokers) About four years later he could've sold it for a packet to be a nursing home.

Yeah, Highfield! That's how I know GL's a shithole.

2 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Not from me, doing storming business. But, if you want tickets to Wise Children's Wuthering Heights at the Lowry - I'm your man.

Yeah, not sure about that. It's not for me.

8 minutes ago, Traf said:

Yeah, Highfield! That's how I know GL's a shithole.

Getting the 501 to Burnden doesn't count as knowing Great Lever, tycoons built mansions there (The Brooklyn, Lever Grange, Walkers, Johnston Paint bloke) Highfield is just a big council estate that had a flat-roofed pub that was byword for rough. It did have a good chippy though, but a good chippy is a signifier of trampiness of an area.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

3 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Getting the 501 to Burnden doesn't count as knowing Great Lever, tycoons built mansions there (The Brooklyn, Lever Grange, Walkers, Johnston Paint bloke) Highfield is just a big council estate that had a flat-roofed pub that was byword for rough.

Trust me, I knew great lever.