Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Getting round London

• Site Supporter

Calling NiC and other London dwellers! We are spending 3 nights in London next month and wondering the easiest and/or cheapest way to get around Zone 1 for these 3/4 days? There are 4 of us, 2 adults, 2 kids although the eldest is 16 now so might be classed as an adult. Thanks.

• Site Supporter

No need for Oyster cards or anything like that. A chip n pin card every time you enter and leave a station will charge you daily the best possible fare for your daily journeys. Not sure how the younger child gets on unless you ask your bank for a junior account with chip and pin.

19 minutes ago, MickyD said:

No need for Oyster cards or anything like that. A chip n pin card every time you enter and leave a station will charge you daily the best possible fare for your daily journeys. Not sure how the younger child gets on unless you ask your bank for a junior account with chip and pin.

Take two bank cards. Think its age 14 when they have to start paying but Google it. 

We did it with us two and two kids in tow (8 and 3...shit names I know) and its a piece of piss. Can also use it on Thames clipper. 

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, MickyD said:

This is what confused me, youngest is free with a paying adult but how do you get through the turnstiles?

Can I just pass a card back for another transaction for the eldest?

Where's Miami to tell me it's all Khan's fault!? :D

• Site Supporter
32 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

This is what confused me, youngest is free with a paying adult but how do you get through the turnstiles?

No idea about the age thing

7 hours ago, Winchester White said:

Where's Miami to tell me it's all Khan's fault!? :D

Just both go through the gate together. 

You just use the biggest gate which is meant for families, folk with suitcases etc we do it with the two youngest, tap in as usual.

The eldest is 14, I just put money on her bank card and do it that way. You can get a special card if you want.

There is a max amount you can be charged in a day as well. 

Just tap in and out, otherwise it assumes you've gone the max distance and charges you accordingly.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Nic1 said:

There is a max amount you can be charged in a day as well. 

But per zone. If you only enter and exit in the central zones it’ll be one price but a lot more if you go further afield.

1 hour ago, Nic1 said:

I can't see them going as far as zone 2 on a three day trip.

I'm in zone 4, costs me 9 quid a day at peak times.

Which tbf I don’t think is THAT bad for the frequency distance travelled. Particularly compared to how long it might take in comparison up here.

For BWFC games in the smoke I just take it as an occupational hazard and pay on debit card and hope for the best. Probably got an Oyster or two knocking about with about 50p on them so I’m not sure if they’re a big seller like clipper cards used to be. 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, green genie said:

If you're just in Zone 1....walk

Amazed how much time  cockernees waste using tube for quarter mile journey and you see so much more.

This I fully agree with. Went to Harrodsburg and decided to walk back to central London. Saw some places we knew existed but had never really planned to see. Much time staring into estate agent windows wondering why the fuck people wouldn’t try to relocate their job up to North West where you’d get a 5-6 bed Manor House for the price of a terrace.

Harrodsburg? What even is that?

Edited by MickyD
Harrodsburg? WTF

9 hours ago, green genie said:

If you're just in Zone 1....walk

Amazed how much time  cockernees waste using tube for quarter mile journey and you see so much more.

Sounds like a good plan, but there's not way I'm walking all.around zone 1 over 3 days with kids in tow, yes things are close but depending on where you are going, fuck that.

Perhaps I should start giving folk top tips on getting using GM buses (if they are Still a thing)

7 hours ago, Winchester White said:

Cheers all! I intend to walk mostly to be honest but I am sure the odd tube trip will be used.

You'll need to, things are closer than they appear on the tube but don't for a second you can do it all, plus some routes are so.much easier on the tube - and bucket bonus, rush hour is a lot less rushy at the moment.