Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

SNP - What fun!

Zulu

• Members
On 21/04/2024 at 20:37, royal white said:

But he was right cocker. Maybe at times you should have a little pause yourself and take the L. 

Like his lot jump up and down about Conservative MP's who enjoy lemon parties but wouldn't say a word about the sinister slags tax evasion.

Tribal see? From this point of view I can almost congratulate the misguided fuckwit.

It appears we are all on the same side when it comes to the extinction of the SNP. A rebellion worth supporting.

Maybe a question for @London Wanderer?

Spent a fair bit of time the last year or so in Lanarkshire, Ayrshire and Dumfries where they seem a bit meh about the goings on with the SNP. Not been in East Scotland for about 3 years so had no conversations over there. Is there a regional political divide in Scotland? Forget the Tories but SNP vs Labour?

3 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Maybe a question for @London Wanderer?

Spent a fair bit of time the last year or so in Lanarkshire, Ayrshire and Dumfries where they seem a bit meh about the goings on with the SNP. Not been in East Scotland for about 3 years so had no conversations over there. Is there a regional political divide in Scotland? Forget the Tories but SNP vs Labour?

Nice. You been up for work? 

Spent a couple of holidays out in Dumfries and Galloway. Decent in the countryside but some of the towns have seen better days.

Not to sure what to make of it all up here. Wouldn’t say there’s a huge political divide regionally. But some do feel the central belt dominates at times. 

The SNP are such a broad church. When the independence debate eases you realise just how different they all are. Many labour & SNP share similar values. Be interesting to see what happens next & at the GE. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Labour do well. The Tories could potential be left without a seat, though the North East is a possibility.

Edited by London Wanderer

The SNP and Labour are fundamentally different. We all knew this would happen- as has always happened with nationalist parties throughout history.

The Labour movement share very different political and moral motives from the SNP. They have been shown up that they can't hold progressive programmes because they are a single issue party at their core and as soon as that aim moves further away, they can't govern.

Their failure was always on the cards, and it's funny that the right wing thinks that proves them right when in actuality it's centenrist lefties who are there to pick the pieces up.

• Members
13 hours ago, Zulu said:

I think that the SNP sits to the left of the Scottish Labour Party, Spider. 

An obvious alliance to go with the commie Greens. What was he thinking? Must be fucking stupid.

Like the Tories, I suspect they will be trounced by Labour at the next GE. Wonder if Alba's share of the vote will increase?

1 minute ago, bolty58 said:

An obvious alliance to go with the commie Greens. What was he thinking? Must be fucking stupid.

Like the Tories, I suspect they will be trounced by Labour at the next GE. Wonder if Alba's share of the vote will increase?

Because of electoral numeracy you tool.

Honestly, if this bloke read a book he'd be dangerous.

9 hours ago, bolty58 said:

I don't pretend to understand why you always refer to the Green Party as Communist, as I've never really looked into what they're all about, and they're of pretty much zero relevance here in the UK - however, I did hear somebody the other day on the radio refer to them as the Watermelon Party  - Green on the outside, but masking deep red inside 🍉  

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I don't pretend to understand why you always refer to the Green Party as Communist, as I've never really looked into what they're all about, and they're of pretty much zero relevance here in the UK - however, I did hear somebody the other day on the radio refer to them as the Watermelon Party  - Green on the outside, but masking deep red inside 🍉  

They've not been irrelevant in Scotland though- vital to the coalition. That's gone now.

And unfortunately, they are very left wing and devoid of rational thinking, which is a shame as the whole green industry could be a new revolution, so long as it is done sensibly. 

15 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

They've not been irrelevant in Scotland though- vital to the coalition. That's gone now.

And unfortunately, they are very left wing and devoid of rational thinking, which is a shame as the whole green industry could be a new revolution, so long as it is done sensibly. 

fair point - I probably should have said irrelevant to most people in the UK. Scotland aside, and also folk who live in Brighton, I'm not sure anybody knows that much, or indeed cares that much, about what the Greens have to say.

I agree that "green industry" could be a new revolution, but it won't be for a while yet, as previous and future Governments see it as a subject to kick as far down the road as possible (as demonstrated when they pushed the ICE car manufacturing ban back from 2030 to 2035) and in the main, the public when it comes down to it, don't give much of a fuck, as it's going to cost them in the pocket.

• Site Supporter

No reason it should be particularly costly, if done right.

The shift towards renewable electricity supplies has been excellent, but does come with an upfront investment cost.

The wholesale price of renewable electricity has, apparently, just gone below that from fossil fuels. Presumably as more get up and running and start to pay for themselves. 

As for the farming sector, lots of good intent, but too hasty in pushing ideas onto the industry without fully understanding implications, costs etc. Poor support too.

We've been through the car situation before- the current arrangements should have been the ones set up initially, but having gone down the road we have, they should have stuck with it, instead of buggering industry about. 

14 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

We've been through the car situation before- the current arrangements should have been the ones set up initially, but having gone down the road we have, they should have stuck with it, instead of buggering industry about. 

All the EV Charger companies I deal with are also now mid-term factoring in it being pushed back another 5 years from 2035 to 2040, as the entire industry knows that Europe is nowhere near going to have the sufficient infrastructure within a decade, in fact, it's not even going to be anywhere near close enough. I guess that's why EV car sales are absolutely tanking at the minute, and production of them is being slowed down massively

14 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

Nice. You been up for work? 

Spent a couple of holidays out in Dumfries and Galloway. Decent in the countryside but some of the towns have seen better days.

Not to sure what to make of it all up here. Wouldn’t say there’s a huge political divide regionally. But some do feel the central belt dominates at times. 

The SNP are such a broad church. When the independence debate eases you realise just how different they all are. Many labour & SNP share similar values. Be interesting to see what happens next & at the GE. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Labour do well. The Tories could potential be left without a seat, though the North East is a possibility.

Sadly it’s all been work so all I’ve seen is the towns, hospitals and hotels in the area south west of Glasgow and all have seen better days. The drives are quite nice though. SNP comes up in conversations occasionally but hardly anybody appears to have any strong views, hence the question. Not been in Glasgow or Edinburgh for quite a while now

5 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Sadly it’s all been work so all I’ve seen is the towns, hospitals and hotels in the area south west of Glasgow and all have seen better days. The drives are quite nice though. SNP comes up in conversations occasionally but hardly anybody appears to have any strong views, hence the question. Not been in Glasgow or Edinburgh for quite a while now

Aye, doesn’t feel like much of a big divide, or particularly toxic.