Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Good Omens

wakey

11 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

More like 5 teams for 2 places; Pompey not there yet

You reckon? They have to play us, Derby and Barnsley and we all have to beat them. But to drop the 9 or 10 points required to be overtaken by two teams in their tough run in would be an epic collapse.

If Pompey don't get promoted from this position I'd be gobsmacked.

Just now, Wanderlust said:

You reckon? They have to play us, Derby and Barnsley and we all have to beat them. But to drop the 9 or 10 points required to be overtaken by two teams in their tough run in would be an epic collapse.

If Pompey don't get promoted from this position I'd be gobsmacked.

I agree; beat Derby and they will do it. They finish the season at Lincoln who might still be going for the play offs so if they have a wobble now it’s possible 

1 minute ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

I agree; beat Derby and they will do it. They finish the season at Lincoln who might still be going for the play offs so if they have a wobble now it’s possible 

We have to beat Stevenage - and in doing so would leave Lincoln with a free run at a playoff spot. If they win their only "tough on paper" match against direct rivals Oxford, the final day against Pompey could be very spicy.

Pompey have been the only relatively consistent performers all season so it’s unlikely they’re suddenly going to fall over now. There’s realistically one automatic spot to aim at and we’ve as good a chance as any of getting it. It’s down to us to do our job and trust the others to not do theirs.

Portsmouth has a bad spell around Christmas, 1 win in 6, lost to Bristol Rovers, Cheltenham and 3-0 at home to Leyton Orient over that period.

So not impossible that they hit another bad patch.

It's still on, so a couple more good omens for the run in.

Bristol Rovers

Missed the game last year due to a family do. We won.

Reluctantly missing Saturday's game due to a family do. It's nailed on.

Portsmouth

We've only ever played the league leaders at home in the third tier 3 times when we've been in the top four.

We've won all three.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, wakey said:

It's still on, so a couple more good omens for the run in.

Bristol Rovers

Missed the game last year due to a family do. We won.

Reluctantly missing Saturday's game due to a family do. It's nailed on.

Portsmouth

We've only ever played the league leaders at home in the third tier 3 times when we've been in the top four.

We've won all three.

How many times in the third tier have we played the league leaders at home?

What are the win/loss ratios. 

I'm a touch concerned at stat manipulation to try and build us up, but leading to a fall.

We could do with Pompey thrashing Derby, but both teams having players sent off in a massive brawl at the end. And a load of hammy pulls too.

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

How many times in the third tier have we played the league leaders at home?

What are the win/loss ratios. 

I'm a touch concerned at stat manipulation to try and build us up, but leading to a fall.

We could do with Pompey thrashing Derby, but both teams having players sent off in a massive brawl at the end. And a load of hammy pulls too.

You seem to be suggesting I'm selectively using stats.

You got me. There's a bit of a clue in the OP.

I like your Pompey - Derby scenario, happily go with that.

(15 in total, we've won 10, drawn 2. The 3 losses came when we were outside the top 8, 2 of them when we were bottom half)

• Site Supporter
15 hours ago, wakey said:

You seem to be suggesting I'm selectively using stats.

You got me. There's a bit of a clue in the OP.

I like your Pompey - Derby scenario, happily go with that.

(15 in total, we've won 10, drawn 2. The 3 losses came when we were outside the top 8, 2 of them when we were bottom half)

😁

I like the positive spin, though just get a bit wary- we do have a tendency to break other team's poor spells for example.

Don't want to tempt fate!

55 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

😁

I like the positive spin, though just get a bit wary- we do have a tendency to break other team's poor spells for example.

Don't want to tempt fate!

Might as well be optimistic as long as we can 😁

This is coming from someone who's been convinced we've lost games because I've had the wrong socks on ... but I don't think anything in this thread will have an adverse effect on our chances.

... as long as I don't fuck up again with the socks.