Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pubs that ain't there no more

• Members

We've talked about the Trotters before. What else has gone? As an owd bastard, I can remember The Waterloo on Folds Rd., Eagle and Vulcan opposite the original Ebony Club (again Folds Rd.), Grapes on't corner of Moss Bank Way and Blackburn Rd (on the corner in between Asda and the Pineapple) - lived there as a kid.

Prince Bill still there? Griffin? Ebony Club? Sally Up Steps? Did the Braddy Arms re-open?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've talked about the Trotters before. What else has gone? As an owd bastard, I can remember The Waterloo on Folds Rd., Eagle and Vulcan opposite the original Ebony Club (again Folds Rd.), Grapes on't corner of Moss Bank Way and Blackburn Rd (on the corner in between Asda and the Pineapple) - lived there as a kid.

Prince Bill still there? Griffin? Ebony Club? Sally Up Steps? Did the Braddy Arms re-open?

Prince Bill still there but renamed, Griffin still going strong ( and still a "character" pub!) Sally up steps is now a Thai restaurant, can't recall the Ebony club so my guess is it's either gone or has been renamed,and i'm pretty sure the Bradford arms is still open.

Most of the main rd boozers are still going, Halliwell mile pretty much unchanged ( only the Derby arms gone ) same with Daubhill,Deane Rd,Bury Rd,Farnworth etc,but most of the old side street pubs have gone.

Maybe the biggest change in Bolton over the last 5 or 10 years is in the town centre,with loads of new bars opening - Life bar,dali bar,BL1,Bar Juice,Elements,Barracuda etc etc.

• Members

Nice to know the magic of a Halliwell Rd. pub crawl is still available! Is the Peels Arms still a pub for cocoa shunters? Last visit was to see us beat Arsenal Jan. 2005. Seem to recall a lot of new bars in Nelson Square opposite the Pack Horse. Is that where some of the new ones you mentioned are? Ebony Club was opposite the bus sheds at the bottom end of Bridgeman (?) St - not far from t'Painters Arms. Moved there after they demolished bottom end of Folds Road for St. Peters Way.

Anybody from Waterloo St/Turton St area tell me what that little pub tucked away near Bolton Gate Compny was called. Doin' me head in trying to remember. A Bolton lad down asked me a couple of nights ago. All I can definitely remember is that it was a Bass Charrington house.

Anybody from Waterloo St/Turton St area tell me what that little pub tucked away near Bolton Gate Compny was called. Doin' me head in trying to remember. A Bolton lad down asked me a couple of nights ago. All I can definitely remember is that it was a Bass Charrington house.

You thinking of the Lord Clyde?

General Havelock - a quality establishment. I used to have a few in there on matchdays (after working my morning shift at HB Electronics) then move on to the Cattle Market and then down to Churchills before going to the match. Oh Happy Days :D

• Members

Nah mate. I know that one. Opposite that fcukin Euroway Car Centre Lada place. Remember when BWFC had that as the sponsor!!?? The embarrassment! As Frankie Worthy once said, "What's the difference between a sheep and a Lada? It's much less embarrassing being seen getting out of the back of a sheep!"

• Members
Anyone old enough to remember a pub called the UNIOIN on eskirk street near the old Brownlow fold school?

Not sure on that one ND. Did you get my PM? Know any of the Roadrunners/Spartans mentioned? PM or e-mail me. Love the graphic. Too much of a computer numpty to do owt like that miself like.

How long ago are we talking?

Did it go the same time as the old Brownlow Fold school?

it was knocked down long before the school, it was a real locals pub with the old piano playing most nights, had two tiny rooms. Think they closed it in 79?

Remember the landlord of the Bowler was a hunch back and the landlord of the city was called Colin scholes, Colin died in a fire above a off licence on Halliwell road which he ran. (smoking in bed is not good for you)

Mick beat me to the Eskrick Street one, I could only think of the Bowling Green and City pub. But those little council houses facing Brownlow Fold school can't more than 25yr old, so that could be your answer.

The Peel on Halliwell Rd is now a Last Orders Inn pub, it's cheap as chips and heaving all day now. No cocoa shunters either :D

The George in town is shut now, and the pubs between Higher Bridge Street and Halliwell Road are now shut. So it's the Halliwell 3/4 mile now.

PB

RIP Funnys and Sally Up Steps on Chorley Owd Rd

Nah mate. I know that one. Opposite that fcukin Euroway Car Centre Lada place. Remember when BWFC had that as the sponsor!!?? The embarrassment! As Frankie Worthy once said, "What's the difference between a sheep and a Lada? It's much less embarrassing being seen getting out of the back of a sheep!"

Funny as fcuk seeing Frank worthy,Peter Reid etc driving about in British racing beige Ladas, some were bottle green aswell. I seem to remember they had their names plastered down the side too. These lads were top flight (or almost) footballers driving about in embarrassing Russian shit heaps!. The Peel (now called Last orders as someone pointed out) has not been a woofter pub since the seventies,it's now a good boozer to watch footy in,the place for mincing screamers these days is the Star and Garter on Bow st.

How long ago are we talking?

Did it go the same time as the old Brownlow Fold school?

it was knocked down long before the school, it was a real locals pub with the old piano playing most nights, had two tiny rooms. Think they closed it in 79?

Remember the landlord of the Bowler was a hunch back and the landlord of the city was called Colin scholes, Colin died in a fire above a off licence on Halliwell road which he ran. (smoking in bed is not good for you)

I lived there from the mid seventies until about 1982 - was only kid but it sort of rings a bell. Bet my dad spent a lot of time in there.

• Members

Thanks for the responses lads. Fcuk me. Star & Garter a mincers pub! That and the Founders were regular meeting places before heading off to the Palais for a night of drinking and hunting flatdick. If you were really lucky at the Palais, Manchester and Salford would come up looking to take on Bolton and Farnworth. Usually a comprehensive home win. Wish I'd a tenner for every time I'd seen a Manc over that balcony!

This all led on to the battle of Worsley Civic; mayhem at the Big Apple in Farnworth and the invasion of Leigh which a few of you will remember or took part in. Happy days where Bolton ruled the roost. Not many got any change out of us.

Wonder if any of this lot can be sought out in BEN archives?

Guest captain zero
how many of you remember the lower nags head in town and also the boar head on churchgate

certainly do although had to go in through the back entrance as we were under age

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.