Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Old Bolton Pubs

Not strictly pubs but they had bars. Biff - The Hippodrome was opposite the GPO (next to the Hen and Chickens). What was the other big theatre called down near t'Parish Church (roughly where the BEN (sorry BN) offices are now?

Theatre Royal. When I was a kid my mother always took me to the pantomime there. I remember seeing Joseph Locke and David Whitfield in pantos there.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Supporter

I was a nipper in the mid 60s but don't recall anything like the Hippodrome.

I remember being driven all the way from Thynne st to St Georges Road past the town hall prior to the pedestrianisation.

I also remember the red, white and blue neon 'Palais' sign.

I was a nipper in the mid 60s but don't recall anything like the Hippodrome.

I remember being driven all the way from Thynne st to St Georges Road past the town hall prior to the pedestrianisation.

I also remember the red, white and blue neon 'Palais' sign.

The Hippodrome ceased operating in late 50s and was demolished sometime in the 60s.

http://www.bolton.org.uk/hippodrome.html

• Members
Theatre Royal. When I was a kid my mother always took me to the pantomime there. I remember seeing Joseph Locke and David Whitfield in pantos there.

Cheers Biff. Always remember me grandparents coming home one night still p1ssing themselves laughing. They'd been to see some variety show there and were tickled by a comedian called Freddie Frinton. Saw him on TV a couple of times - marvellous :D

Cheers Biff. Always remember me grandparents coming home one night still p1ssing themselves laughing. They'd been to see some variety show there and were tickled by a comedian called Freddie Frinton. Saw him on TV a couple of times - marvellous :D

Freddie Frinton. The ultimate portrayal of a pssed up bloke. Hat at a jaunty angle, scarf, and a bent tab hanging out of his mouth. Did he used to say "we've supped some stuff tonight"?

Freddie Frinton, Dinner For One, gets played on German TV, every station, on New Years Eve. Apparently.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh_wygDUrxs

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.