Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Old Bolton Pubs

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not strictly pubs but they had bars. Biff - The Hippodrome was opposite the GPO (next to the Hen and Chickens). What was the other big theatre called down near t'Parish Church (roughly where the BEN (sorry BN) offices are now?

The Grand I think

Oh i dunno, i was driving past in the early 80's and there was a 50-a-side brawl outside, it spread onto the forecourt of the garage (Tom Ashtons) and down Tonge Moor Rd - a coachload of scousers had upset the locals i think.

Bees Knees had honeycomb shaped tables and slappers off the estate used to serve you dressed in leotards complete with laddered tights.Classy.

• Site Supporter
royal oak at bradshaw, its now an italian resteraunt,

volunteer bromley cross- now an indian

Lamb up Bradshaw Road, Bulls Head further up Bradshaw Road, Nab Gate up Hardy Mill,

That's five pubs within a few miles of each other which are either shut down or restaurants.

The Grand I think

The Grand and Theatre Royal were both on Churchgate. The Grand was where the Bolton News office now is and the Theatre Royal was opposite the Brass Cat.

Churchgate used to be the entertainment area of Bolton, there used to be two theatres, the Grand and the Theatre Royal as well as the Capitol cinema. There also used to be a gateway or archway part way down towards the church itself. Silverwell Lane led into Silverwell Street.

The Grand and Theatre Royal were both on Churchgate. The Grand was where the Bolton News office now is and the Theatre Royal was opposite the Brass Cat.

Churchgate used to be the entertainment area of Bolton, there used to be two theatres, the Grand and the Theatre Royal as well as the Capitol cinema. There also used to be a gateway or archway part way down towards the church itself. Silverwell Lane led into Silverwell Street.

Its been quite a few years since I had a night out in town but i recall somewhere called Cellar Vie on a street behind Nelson Sq and is the Griffin still open? I might nip in next time I come home

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.