Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Boiler Issue

barryk32

• Site Supporter

The rad on the top floor needs bleeding every week or so. I did it today and the heating stopped working, I checked the boiler and the water pressure was very low so I topped it up after looking on the internet (I also found a leak which is why I keep needing to bleed the radiator). The heating is still not working though. Its a self igniting condensor boiler if that makes a difference. The hot water is fine, when I turn the tap I can see the flame ignite and away we go but the flame goes out as soon as I turn the tap off.

How do I get my heating back?

Do I need a plumber?

• Site Supporter

The rad on the top floor needs bleeding every week or so. I did it today and the heating stopped working, I checked the boiler and the water pressure was very low so I topped it up after looking on the internet (I also found a leak which is why I keep needing to bleed the radiator). The heating is still not working though. Its a self igniting condensor boiler if that makes a difference. The hot water is fine, when I turn the tap I can see the flame ignite and away we go but the flame goes out as soon as I turn the tap off.

How do I get my heating back?

Do I need a plumber?

now I'm Certainly no plumber so can only comment from my own experience but do you have a diverter valve which splits water and heating.

Check it's moving between the 2 when you tell it to.

• Site Supporter

Check it's moving between the 2 when you tell it to.

I can now picture Barry standing at the side of his boiler 'telling' the valve to move.

"Move"

"I said move!"

"Move yer cunt!"

Try PMing Bob da Plumber. I think the clue's in the user name.

I suffered from the same with my combi. inside the combi there is a sensor which detects flow for hot water so that all the burner heat is spent warming the water. however if this is set too far one way in detecting water flow from your hot taps then the result is the heating cycle fails to come on.

Best to get a qualified bolier technician to sort it as its quite tricky to get right.

From my own experiance i would agree with Homer,it does sound like your diverter valve has gone.

It is not fixable from a diy point of view and you would need a heating engineer or gas installer rather than a plumber.

the valve can cost anywhere between ?35 and ?70 depending on your system plus labour.

• Site Supporter

Thought you rented? The landlord should be doing this?

Aye but thought if I could fix it it would be faster and less hassle.

Anyroad, rang the landlord and it was fixed within an hour, cant grumle at that.

Oh, and I'd broke it :(

If you rent your house, don't touch a fcuking thing. Thats what you pay the rent for.

Good landlords will sort it ASAP, and do a damn good job of looking after their tenants.

If you start messing with things yourself, you may find a Bill at your door, as they could claim you're the one that broke it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.