Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England Can't Keep The Ball Well Enough!

gudnisson

It's become a bit of an obsession, this.

Full backs don't do that much defending, they're really just extra midfielders.

I'm a bit old fashioned when it comes to full backs but I prefer ones that are defenders first and foremost.

If they are good at attacking as well then great but this is a bonus IMO.

I am not going to be popular with this next statement. As much as I dislike him as a person, a fit Gary Neville would get in my team before Glen Johnson (even now) because he does the basics defensively. Jamie Carragher is another no nonsense defender who would be in front of Johnson for me and I think his inclusion in the squad shows that Capello knows that we will need to be more solid in the big games..

I'm a bit old fashioned when it comes to full backs but I prefer ones that are defenders first and foremost.

If they are good at attacking as well then great but this is a bonus IMO.

I am not going to be popular with this next statement. As much as I dislike him as a person, a fit Gary Neville would get in my team before Glen Johnson (even now) because he does the basics defensively. Jamie Carragher is another no nonsense defender who would be in front of Johnson for me and I think his inclusion in the squad shows that Capello knows that we will need to be more solid in the big games..

Gary Neville at his peak was one of the best right backs around, now he's too oldand knackered to compete at the top level.

Well, that 1st half was turgid drivel ...... and I'm comparing that with the Wanderers over the last 3 seasons.

Not one player, experienced or fringe, imposed himself on the game.

Admittedly this wasn't the full 1st team, but this IS the last chance for fringe players to impress and for all players to get up to speed for the first competitive match in less than 2 weeks.

Let's see what Capello's hair-dryer does at half-time.

well, what a load of rubbish that was. If we have any expectations of getting to the semi-final stage , we'll need to play a lot better than that. I was amazed to hear loads of people in the pub say that we will still win the world cup - I'm not sure why they are so convinced, as I really don't see us being much better than a Q/F team. Perhaps I am missing something

I'm a bit puzzled.

From early in Capello's reign, I thought ..... well, he's not got many top quality players to choose from, but he's got them playing international style possession football. We seem now to be going backwards.

He's used the last 2 warm-up games to experiment ? Shouldn't we be getting the first 11 bedded in at this point, ready for the start in 12 days or so ?

well, what a load of rubbish that was. If we have any expectations of getting to the semi-final stage , we'll need to play a lot better than that. I was amazed to hear loads of people in the pub say that we will still win the world cup - I'm not sure why they are so convinced, as I really don't see us being much better than a Q/F team. Perhaps I am missing something

Nope, just the usual hysteria in the country and us over rating oursleves. No chance of winning it

• Members

Tarian, I suspect your dad might only have been a twinkle in your grandads eye when Sir Alf Ramseys greats won us the World Cup in 1966. Not for one moment am I suggesting we will win it in South Africa. I am confident of the quarter final and have a sneaky suspicion that Capellos wisdom might get us to the semi final. That will prtobably be the most I could hope for. If I was going, I would have bought a 5 match England package from Euroteam. This has paid off for me before.

The point in mentioning 1966 is that some of us, especially Biff, will remember the only 50% as disgusting gutter press of the time (compared to what we have now), slated the f'uck out of Ramsey and his boys after some turgid (and equally meaningless) warm up games like last night. Of course, when they won it, the Fleet Street rags were trumpeting 'Never in doubt' and similar. Arseholes of the highest order.

The Japan game was meaningless. Anyone judging Englands chances on that game needs their head examined. Equally, those saying that we'll win it based on the Croatia away performance are also getting carried away.

IMO - quarter final certainties; semi final possibles. Beyond that I won't care as I will be in seventh heaven if it happens.

From what ive worked out, and all the favourites finish where they should then:

We'll get Ghana/Australia in the second round

France in the Quaters

Brazil in the Semi's

Spain in the final.

Now i think the target should be Semi's and from then on... May the best team win.

Can not wait.

COME ON YOU WHITE MEN!

Edited by Gaz Nt

• Members

Oh, I dearly hope so Gaz. The opportunity to knock those fcukers out of the World Cup would be absolutely fantastic. Never again would I have to listen to some thick tw?t who is incapable of even holding the tune (in this case 'Auld Lang Syne') attempting to sing '3-1, 3-1, 3-1, 3-1...............'

It would be fcuking mayhem in the pubs here :D

So far under Capello we have won the games we have had to, lost a few friendlies, won some friendlies, sometimes not playing that well. But if you have a look at the Spain 3-2 Saudi Arabia result from just a few days ago, then it's not just England who ain't impressed that much in the warm up games.

We have a good squad of players, and I think we have a very good chance of success in South Africa.

Sometimes people have blind faith and 'bigup/overrate' their supported team, but I think on our day we can beat anyone, we have enough quality, we will need luck, we will need to battle when not playing that well, hopefully we don't have to play a penalty shootout, but if so, then don't look back at history, just play the ball as if it's for your life and your country.

I'm really looking forward to the World Cup, maybe it will lead to disappointment, but I have belief in England, and if they win, it will make me such a proud man.

You have overlooked a very useful Serbia in that group. I think these will be our last 16 opponents and it will be close.

They have a nice blend of tough defenders (Vidic and Ivanavic), skilful midfielders (Stankovic) and some useful forwards (Pantelic, Zigic).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.