Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England V German

Happy Wanderer

Terrible defending Upson out of his depth, Terry about a tenth as good as he thinks he is, clueless substitutions, dissapointed with Cappello but where do you go after him he's probably one of the best managers in the world.. Despite how crap we were if the goal had been allowed anything could have happened..Ps Mark Lawrenson and whoever it was commentating with him should never be allowed to commentate again... Either talking crap or sounding like they've called the samiratans..

Give me the foreigners in the league any day of the week. Couldnt really give a monkeys what means for the international game. Id rather pay my money to watch good foreginers at the reebok than talentless english

I thought the idea of paying your money to go to the reebok was to watch Bolton hopefully win.

No pace what so ever at the back, Cole the probably only exeption. The problem being is the English players are surrounded by talented foreigners at club level and when they have to play together as a team, they are exploited as to what they are. The Germans have it spot on, almost every tournament they display a different squad of players and they are not affraid to play their younger starlets. Capello has done Gary Cahill out of a world cup by selecting Upson who we all know cannot defend and is far too slow.

The top and bottom of it is that England are not as good as they are made out to be. There are too many foreigners playing in England stifling the home grown players. The English players that survive in the premiership all have big egos and when they come together for an international match are incapable of playing as a team. The way the international tournaments are organised with seeding etc, England should always qualify for the final stages. They will invariably be placed in a qualifying group where the other teams in the group are not as good. Having qualified England will more often than not be placed in a group where they are the strongest team as they were this time so they should always at least reach the round after the group matches which they did. What England did not do was play well enough to win the group and get an easier game in the last 16. Scoring three goals in four games is not the form of a team that will win the World Cup.

Goal line technology should not be introduced. Would such technology have spotted the hand ball by Thierry Henry in the France Republic of Ireland game or the Maradonna hand of God goal in Mexico. Green made a mistake which gave the USA a goal. Should we have technology to prevent a mistake like that. Not only players make mistakes, Officials do as well. The answer is for the players to be honest about these things but we know that will never happen.

• Site Supporter

The top and bottom of it is that England are not as good as they are made out to be. There are too many foreigners playing in England stifling the home grown players. The English players that survive in the premiership all have big egos and when they come together for an international match are incapable of playing as a team. The way the international tournaments are organised with seeding etc, England should always qualify for the final stages. They will invariably be placed in a qualifying group where the other teams in the group are not as good. Having qualified England will more often than not be placed in a group where they are the strongest team as they were this time so they should always at least reach the round after the group matches which they did. What England did not do was play well enough to win the group and get an easier game in the last 16. Scoring three goals in four games is not the form of a team that will win the World Cup.

Goal line technology should not be introduced. Would such technology have spotted the hand ball by Thierry Henry in the France Republic of Ireland game or the Maradonna hand of God goal in Mexico. Green made a mistake which gave the USA a goal. Should we have technology to prevent a mistake like that. Not only players make mistakes, Officials do as well. The answer is for the players to be honest about these things but we know that will never happen.

agreed, but the linesman who made that mistake should also be on his way home.

as should the lino who just gave the tevez goal!

Why are we surprised about Upson - we have seen him twice at the Reebok this season, and he was appalling both times.

Glenn Johnson - Not a defender.

John Terry - Not as good as he thinks he is.

Steven Gerrard - only ever shines for Liverpool.

Wayne Rooney - Not mentally or physically fit.

Cappello - as tactically naive as Mr. Megson.

If I performed as bad as anyone (James excluded) when I was doing my job, I would expect to be sacked.

I feel sorry for the poor sods who forked out to go to South Africa.

I knew when a barbecue was suggested that England were doomed.

To make it worse, the litte fucking drug dealer, who should have been banned from football altogether, is leading his team to a possible World Cup triumph.

Sod it - I will have another beer.

Im actually fuckin' disgusted. I knew we were wank but that takes the biscuit. I disagree about Terry I think hes the only one with bottle to be England captain. Can Stevie Gerrarrrrd even speak the Queens? The only people who looked like they cared all tourney are Terry & Gerrard. Granted both horrible cunts but the best of a bad bunch of primadonas. Rooney has been ridiculously shit all tournement, it is incredible that that cant be dropped. How did Heskey & Upson get near the squad? Capello fuck off, i disagree with all this foreign manager shite, you have bottled it since way back when not playing inexperienced players in friendlies. At least if we have a dick head bottling English manager he'll be our dickhead instead of an Italian cunt whose lost his camp.

lets face it, if you have to resort to bringing on Heskey and SWP you don't have much chance of doing anything in the World Cup

at least the myth that gareth barry is any good was exposed...holding midfielder my arse, you could almost make the case for muamba today

We are not as good as we think we are. It's a false sence of superiority that makes us think that we should beat everyone and not lose a game from now and forever. The trouble is them overpaid over pampered muppets think they are the dogs bollox because we keep telling them that and today we have been shown for what we really are. The only good thing to come out of this dicking by the Germans is that we won't have to experience a proper dicking by the Argentinians.

• Site Supporter

lets face it, if you have to resort to bringing on Heskey and SWP you don't have much chance of doing anything in the World Cup

at least the myth that gareth barry is any good was exposed...holding midfielder my arse, you could almost make the case for muamba today

Spot on with everything there.

I've been as guilty as anyone in overhyping England in the past.

I saw the light after 2006.

We are not as good as we think we are. It's a false sence of superiority that makes us think that we should beat everyone and not lose a game from now and forever. The trouble is them overpaid over pampered muppets think they are the dogs bollox because we keep telling them that and today we have been shown for what we really are. The only good thing to come out of this dicking by the Germans is that we won't have to experience a proper dicking by the Argentinians.

Suprised anyone ever believed the hype about this generation of players, in my view there the most ungracious set of players ever to wear an England shirt, they cannot pass have no craft or creativeness, as a group of players there lack of personal class shines through everything they do. I have never been so despondent about England. I would like to see an English manager come in and start with a clean slate the likes of Defoe/Lampard/Heskey/SWP/Barry/Upson, should be retired as not good enough. I Want an English manager who has class and morals and is highly respected who plays football in the right spirit and one who ensures that the players act with pride and humility when on International duty, for me that man is Roy Hodgson.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Is it just me or did they not really look all that bothered at full time. Well, not not bothered, but I didn't spot any tears or head between legs sort of guttedness.

F?ck em. I'll not be doing an England game again till those tossers realise how much folk spend on going watching them & appreciate what it means to play for your country.

• Site Supporter

Is it just me or did they not really look all that bothered at full time. Well, not not bothered, but I didn't spot any tears or head between legs sort of guttedness.

F?ck em. I'll not be doing an England game again till those tossers realise how much folk spend on going watching them & appreciate what it means to play for your country.

I think they all realised they are just not good enough.

Too many media pundits say we are world class, and it just isn't true.

The Premier league is one of the best because of the imports. FACT

sorry for typing FACT in a I AM RIGHT way

but i am right

Edited by Alf Hartigan

Possibly, but I'll bet you a pound to a pile of shit they'll all forget that come Aug 14th. Tossers!

IMO, the players on the pitch are better than they showed and for that, Capello takes the rap

• Members

They probably did us a favour. Saved us further humiliation. Upson would have been crucified by the Argies.

Would like to see Roy Hodgson as manager. Old school English.

Doubt that it would have saved us from defeat but the disallowed goal was a massive turning point. Blatter has a lot to answer for.

Suprised anyone ever believed the hype about this generation of players, in my view there the most ungracious set of players ever to wear an England shirt, they cannot pass have no craft or creativeness, as a group of players there lack of personal class shines through everything they do. I have never been so despondent about England. I would like to see an English manager come in and start with a clean slate the likes of Defoe/Lampard/Heskey/SWP/Barry/Upson, should be retired as not good enough. I Want an English manager who has class and morals and is highly respected who plays football in the right spirit and one who ensures that the players act with pride and humility when on International duty, for me that man is Roy Hodgson.

When Sven left after the last world cup everyone was banging on about getting an english manager and how the english team needed an englishmen in charge. That move resulted in us failing to qualify for Euro 2008. Now Mclaren was poor with England but he has shown since then, and with boro, that he is a decent manager. Capello has won titles in Italy and Spain, and yet this world cup campaign has been abject.

The nationality of the manager has nothing to do with us failing at this world cup. For me there are numerous reasons why England always fail at world cups. here are just a few....

1. England are Bottlers. We always bottle it at world cups regardless of who is in charge. Some teams can't handle the pressure. Holland are the same. They created total football. They had Johan Cruyff, johnny rep, johan neeskens, the best players in the world playing the best football in the world. They had Rinus Michels as manager and still they couldn't win the world cup. They have the same mental problems as england have, and that is why they won't win this tournament.

2. Capello's insistence on playing a 442. Look at all top club level and national teams and you'll find they play either three up top (higuain, messi, tevez) or one up top with two supporting (klose, muller, podolski). Spain, brazil, germany, argentina, portugal all play this way. It's more flexible and top managers seem to prefer it. England don't suit 442. Not only that, when we do play 442, we play players out of position.

3. The Lampard/Gerrard problem. Not one england manager has had the balls to drop one of these two to help balance the team. We still have the same problem every tournament of Gerrard being wasted on the left. Spain leave Cesc fabregas on the bench beacuse Alonso and Fabregas are similar players and only one is needed in the team. If alonso and fabregas were english, fabregas would most likely be deemed "undroppable" and played out of position.

4. The English media are are set of morons. Every world cup they systematically try to expose every little issue and problem to the public resulting in disharmony in the camp. It was Wags in 2006 and this year they been whipping up stories of unrest between fabio and the players. This particular reason may be minor but it certainly doesn't help the squad prepare for important games.

The fact that the premier league has many foreign players is not a reason for england's poor world cup performances. There were few foreigners in the league in 92-94 when england were shite and failed to qualify for usa 94. There were few foreigners in the 70's and 80's were we also failed at world cups. The problems lie much deeper than that. It's just an excuse.

• Site Supporter

When Sven left after the last world cup everyone was banging on about getting an english manager and how the english team needed an englishmen in charge. That move resulted in us failing to qualify for Euro 2008. Now Mclaren was poor with England but he has shown since then, and with boro, that he is a decent manager. Capello has won titles in Italy and Spain, and yet this world cup campaign has been abject.

The nationality of the manager has nothing to do with us failing at this world cup. For me there are numerous reasons why England always fail at world cups. here are just a few....

1. England are Bottlers. We always bottle it at world cups regardless of who is in charge. Some teams can't handle the pressure. Holland are the same. They created total football. They had Johan Cruyff, johnny rep, johan neeskens, the best players in the world playing the best football in the world. They had Rinus Michels as manager and still they couldn't win the world cup. They have the same mental problems as england have, and that is why they won't win this tournament.

2. Capello's insistence on playing a 442. Look at all top club level and national teams and you'll find they play either three up top (higuain, messi, tevez) or one up top with two supporting (klose, muller, podolski). Spain, brazil, germany, argentina, portugal all play this way. It's more flexible and top managers seem to prefer it. England don't suit 442. Not only that, when we do play 442, we play players out of position.

3. The Lampard/Gerrard problem. Not one england manager has had the balls to drop one of these two to help balance the team. We still have the same problem every tournament of Gerrard being wasted on the left. Spain leave Cesc fabregas on the bench beacuse Alonso and Fabregas are similar players and only one is needed in the team. If alonso and fabregas were english, fabregas would most likely be deemed "undroppable" and played out of position.

4. The English media are are set of morons. Every world cup they systematically try to expose every little issue and problem to the public resulting in disharmony in the camp. It was Wags in 2006 and this year they been whipping up stories of unrest between fabio and the players. This particular reason may be minor but it certainly doesn't help the squad prepare for important games.

The fact that the premier league has many foreign players is not a reason for england's poor world cup performances. There were few foreigners in the league in 92-94 when england were shite and failed to qualify for usa 94. There were few foreigners in the 70's and 80's were we also failed at world cups. The problems lie much deeper than that. It's just an excuse.

Just look at the Italians. Could not pick one player from their best domestic team, as they were all foreign.

I can agree about the Lampard /Gerrard and also the media.

Your point about being bottlers is just bullshit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.