Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England V German

Happy Wanderer

Just look at the Italians. Could not pick one player from their best domestic team, as they were all foreign.

I can agree about the Lampard /Gerrard and also the media.

Your point about being bottlers is just bullshit.

So who carries the blame and to what percentage?

The possible guilty parties will include

The FA, for the design of the Prem and appointing Fabio, 35%

The players, 20%

The linesman, 0%

The media, 5%

The Premiership, 20%

Fabio Capello, 20%

first draft

• Moderators

1. England are Bottlers.

nowt to do with this world cup

never got going from the off, nothing to do with bottle

holland have won their first 3 games, and can easily get to the semis, where they might bottle it

our group stage performances and the defence yesterday were nothing to do with bottling it, they were just w?nk

i actually thought we did well going forward yesterday, the defence was awful though, upson didn't know what to do and terry trying to hard to be a hero

nowt to do with this world cup

never got going from the off, nothing to do with bottle

holland have won their first 3 games, and can easily get to the semis, where they might bottle it

our group stage performances and the defence yesterday were nothing to do with bottling it, they were just w?nk

i actually thought we did well going forward yesterday, the defence was awful though, upson didn't know what to do and terry trying to hard to be a hero

Where was our "holding midfielder"?

Is anyone else still really angry? I'd just about calmed down. Then I saw footage of the players laughing and joking as they got off the plane on the way back to the hotel. If ever you needed proof about how little they care.....

Is anyone else still really angry? I'd just about calmed down. Then I saw footage of the players laughing and joking as they got off the plane on the way back to the hotel. If ever you needed proof about how little they care.....

Sadly, I find I am not at all bothered. I knew we wouldn't win it, but I had hoped for a bit more of an event than the piss poor 4 matches that we played. I'm actually glad it's over, as I would hate to think what Argentina might have done to us

I'd be all for quite a few of that team never playing for England again.

Why on earth Barry and Johnson didn't bring their men down and take the yellow card for both breakaway goals is beyond me.

Capello has to take a big share of the blame - taking SWP and bringing Heskey on yesterday shows he can make big mistakes.

But he has been massivley hamstrung by the fact that our best players didnt perform, we dont have a good enough first choice holding midfielder and we have no strength in depth. If we could have played our best XI yesterday then who knows...

The are are more questions than answers regarding the England squad. Do who`s we blame people like Venger,who seems reluctant to play anyone who is English, or any other manager who adopts a similar stance. Players like Wilshere who as young as he is should be in teams like Arsenals, surrounded by top players, if he`s as good as quoted then he`s good enough to be in the England squad. German squad boasted several youngsters.

• Site Supporter

nope.

bring on the new season.

The are are more questions than answers regarding the England squad. Do who`s we blame people like Venger,who seems reluctant to play anyone who is English, or any other manager who adopts a similar stance. Players like Wilshere who as young as he is should be in teams like Arsenals, surrounded by top players, if he`s as good as quoted then he`s good enough to be in the England squad. German squad boasted several youngsters.

You can't blame Wenger, his job is to ensure that Arsenal are as good as possible, I presume he thinks the English players he has aren't quite good enough, therefore they don't get many games under him.

I feared the worst when he originally picked Upson, we have all seen the damage our less than prolific Kevin Davies, causes Upson every time we play the Spammers but I didn't expect it to be as bad as this.

Capello - Clueless tactically, no width even with wingers, chose Upson over Dawson, Carragher and Cahill, brought on Heskey when we needed goals and not Crouch who's goal record is better than any other current striker. Failed to play Cole throughout the tournament. Seems also to have lost the dressing room. Persisted with Johnson who was totally exposed yesterday. Vowed to pick form players yet chose injured Barry over Scott Parker, or even Muamba.

Barry - 2yds start on the break but beaten to the ball by a good 10yds and hence Germany scored. Not good enough for England.

Defoe - not a target man at 5'4" playing against a 6'4" defender when you have Crouch on the bench and an even better target man left in Bromley X, for that particular role.

Rooney - not fit.

Milner - out of his depth

SWP - Can't get in City's team and way short of match practice.

Time for a change....... Redknapp for England Manager, Adam Johnson, Gary Cahill, Dawson, Hart, Walcott, Wilshere, Muamba. Maybe we won't win the Euro's but lets blood some young talent and lose some of the overpaid wasters.

Rob Green - Makes James look like Gordon Banks.

But the man who picked the team, tactics and made the substitutions must carry the can!!

I only hope that this game does not become known as one we would have won but for the linesman. And for all those advocating goal line technology: Yes in this case a decision could have been made almost instantaneously. However there are other occasions think back to 1966 where it would take ages to decide whether a goal should be given. Would spectators be prepared to wait. Now I know that they do in Rugby and Cricket but the decisions are being looked at where there is a natural break in play. If the decision is no goal how then is play restarted? By a bounce up in the goal area. Great for the attacking team not so for the defending team.

I wonder where Alex Ferguson stands on the topic of goal line technology in view of the Man U Spurs game a short while ago.

Edited by Biff

I only hope that this game does not become known as one we would have won but for the linesman. And for all those advocating goal line technology: Yes in this case a decision could have been made almost instantaneously. However there are other occasions think back to 1966 where it would take ages to decide whether a goal should be given. Would spectators be prepared to wait. Now I know that they do in Rugby and Cricket but the decisions are being looked at where there is a natural break in play. If the decision is no goal how then is play restarted? By a bounce up in the goal area. Great for the attacking team not so for the defending team.

I wonder where Alex Ferguson stands on the topic of goal line technology in view of the Man U Spurs game a short while ago.

Biff - where did you stand on the "new technology" debate when they brought nets in?

• Moderators

I only hope that this game does not become known as one we would have won but for the linesman.

no danger of that, it'll be the game we could've lost 4-2

I thought the idea of paying your money to go to the reebok was to watch Bolton hopefully win.

It is, but ideally playing decent football.

A league with teams having to field 8/9 english in their 11 would be total s hit to watch

No pace what so ever at the back, Cole the probably only exeption. The problem being is the English players are surrounded by talented foreigners at club level and when they have to play together as a team, they are exploited as to what they are. The Germans have it spot on, almost every tournament they display a different squad of players and they are not affraid to play their younger starlets. Capello has done Gary Cahill out of a world cup by selecting Upson who we all know cannot defend and is far too slow.

Agree totally

lets face it, if you have to resort to bringing on Heskey and SWP you don't have much chance of doing anything in the World Cup

at least the myth that gareth barry is any good was exposed...holding midfielder my arse, you could almost make the case for muamba today

Scott Parker would of been a million times better than barry in that role

I feared the worst when he originally picked Upson, we have all seen the damage our less than prolific Kevin Davies, causes Upson every time we play the Spammers but I didn't expect it to be as bad as this.

Capello - Clueless tactically, no width even with wingers, chose Upson over Dawson, Carragher and Cahill, brought on Heskey when we needed goals and not Crouch who's goal record is better than any other current striker. Failed to play Cole throughout the tournament. Seems also to have lost the dressing room. Persisted with Johnson who was totally exposed yesterday. Vowed to pick form players yet chose injured Barry over Scott Parker, or even Muamba.

Barry - 2yds start on the break but beaten to the ball by a good 10yds and hence Germany scored. Not good enough for England.

Defoe - not a target man at 5'4" playing against a 6'4" defender when you have Crouch on the bench and an even better target man left in Bromley X, for that particular role.

Rooney - not fit.

Time for a change....... Redknapp for England Manager, Adam Johnson, Gary Cahill, Dawson, Hart, Walcott, Wilshere, Muamba. Maybe we won't win the Euro's but lets blood some young talent and lose some of the overpaid wasters.

But the man who picked the team, tactics and made the substitutions must carry the can!!

28m valuation on Milner's head. Frightening really especially when you'll probably be able to pick Ozil up for 20m

Biff - where did you stand on the "new technology" debate when they brought nets in?

Aye new fangled things. It makes you think though that when Arbroath beat Bon Accord 36-0 they didn't have goal nets and had to recover the ball from well behind the goal for play to restart. What would the score have been had there been goal nets.

Rooney - not fit.

Agree with some of what you say.

But home on earth can you suggest Milner is out of his depth, but suggest players like Muamba and Cahill to go the World Cup * !

It amazes me how Blinkered and Biased some people become after England lose, or dont destroy teams.

1 bad game, even 2, and they are 'Out of their depth', THATS why we fail because we Kill the players that make mistakes, or dont score in every game, and we destroy them.

* Muamba is a very good player, and could have a few England caps in him at some point, but he is nowere near good enough to be sat on the England bench yet. Cahill....well as good as can be, has looked completely out of his depth in some Bolton games FFS !

When Cahill plays, Bolton conceed......Yeah, quic lets get him in the England team, he is world Class.

Just becasue they are English, and play for you, AND are your best players, doenst mean they are good enough for England!!!

We failed because Capello picked a squad that appeased the media and the top clubs while having absolutely no idea how he would fit these players into a formation, we failed because English footballers are not technically good enough to retain possesion and do not have the intelligence of the continental footballer. The English system has failed us now for over 50 years it needs ripping up and starting from scratch and that should start with the dismantling of the FA as we know it, they have yet to learn the mistakes that were first brought home in 1953 by the Hungarians. We are a 3rd rate footballing nation even slovenia with 2 million people to choose from manage to put together a team who can at least control and pass the ball.

* Muamba is a very good player, and could have a few England caps in him at some point, but he is nowere near good enough to be sat on the England bench yet. Cahill....well as good as can be, has looked completely out of his depth in some Bolton games FFS !

When Cahill plays, Bolton conceed......Yeah, quic lets get him in the England team, he is world Class.

Just becasue they are English, and play for you, AND are your best players, doenst mean they are good enough for England!!!

Hate to say it, but the skiprat talks sense every now and again

• Moderators

We failed because Capello picked a squad that appeased the media and the top clubs

more like the media and top players

am sure ferguson would love it if rooney hadn't played

but try dropping one of gerrard and lampard

no chance

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.