Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

Right here's a new one from me to relieve some of the Saturday afternoon boredom. 

This two-legged League Cup tie against the pie-eaters in 1987 didn't end well. But the first leg was great. For the first time in their shit history Wigan were a division above us. But Fourth Division Bolton won 2-3 at Springfield Park with new signings Trevor Morgan and Jeff Chandler on the scoresheet. We'd gone 1-0 down to our nemesis at the time - Bobby Campbell. 

The scorer of Wigan's second "consolation" goal was Chris Thompson who'd started his career at Bolton in the late 70s and early 80s. 

As usual a great Bolton following on the grass slopes. 

Dave Higson shares commentary duty with Dave Swanton here - who was presumably a Wigan commentator. Just goes to show that some Wiganers can string a sentence together. 

54 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Right here's a new one from me to relieve some of the Saturday afternoon boredom. 

This two-legged League Cup tie against the pie-eaters in 1987 didn't end well. But the first leg was great. For the first time in their shit history Wigan were a division above us. But Fourth Division Bolton won 2-3 at Springfield Park with new signings Trevor Morgan and Jeff Chandler on the scoresheet. We'd gone 1-0 down to our nemesis at the time - Bobby Campbell. 

The scorer of Wigan's second "consolation" goal was Chris Thompson who'd started his career at Bolton in the late 70s and early 80s. 

As usual a great Bolton following on the grass slopes. 

Dave Higson shares commentary duty with Dave Swanton here - who was presumably a Wigan commentator. Just goes to show that some Wiganers can string a sentence together. 

Thanks Paul , I remember my dad took me to this when we came up visiting relations , as soon as I saw Morgan's first it took me right back. When the 3rd went in my dad was having to pull me down off the fencing. Thanks again mate , months ago before you put these videos on , I never dreamed I would see any footage of these games.

Edited by dusan nikolic

22 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Thanks Paul , I remember my dad took me to this when we came up visiting relations , as soon as I saw Morgan's first it took me right back. When the 3rd went in my dad was having to pull me down off the fencing. Thanks again mate , months ago before you put these videos on , I never dreamed I would see any footage of these games.

I never dreamed I'd see them until I found out about the bloke in a Wigan suburb who used to run the video firm who filmed all these. This would have been about 2014. They were Roadrunner's predecessors. It's great that they've been saved for posterity and there's still a load to publish yet. 

Hope you can spot yourself on that fencing one night in August 87! 🙂

2 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I never dreamed I'd see them until I found out about the bloke in a Wigan suburb who used to run the video firm who filmed all these. This would have been about 2014. They were Roadrunner's predecessors. It's great that they've been saved for posterity and there's still a load to publish yet. 

Hope you can spot yourself on that fencing one night in August 87! 🙂

:lol: , after Chandlers shot deflects in you get a bit of crowd footage , so I've been going backwards and forwards a few times.

I remember walking past their stand and there was a load of police horses lined up that we had to walk through and my dad was mumbling about " what the bloody hell are we coming to here" :lol:.

1 hour ago, dusan nikolic said:

:lol: , after Chandlers shot deflects in you get a bit of crowd footage , so I've been going backwards and forwards a few times.

I remember walking past their stand and there was a load of police horses lined up that we had to walk through and my dad was mumbling about " what the bloody hell are we coming to here" ::lol::.

The Wigan plod had clearly seen plenty of Bolton over the last four or five years! 

It's all a bit grainy really. I think it's because it's a night match and Wigan's floodlights are shit!

3 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Still priceless footage to me mate.

More to come. I'll do another one tomorrow. I will try to post a game or two over weekends as long as work doesn't interfere. Which all too frequently it does ... and did today!

4 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Look forward to it , Paul are they complete games you have , that you edit down , or are they basically highlight form

On the whole they are complete games. Certainly the old Roadrunner videos. Some grim watching if you try to sit down and watch some of the stuff from the mid 80s. Tortuous stuff! Dave Sutton hoofing the ball down the middle....

3 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

On the whole they are complete games. Certainly the old Roadrunner videos. Some grim watching if you try to sit down and watch some of the stuff from the mid 80s. Tortuous stuff! Dave Sutton hoofing the ball down the middle....

Yep , the young uns moaning today would do well watching some of that .

If you ever get the time and machinery to convert certain games to dvd  I would certainly pay good money for the dvd.

If you find time Paul , any chance of the 3-0 home win over Port Vale 1986/87 , and I know you generally don't do defeats , but Derby away 1985/86 if you could (2-1 defeat , but if I remember Asa Hartford scored a screamer.

1 minute ago, dusan nikolic said:

Yep , the young uns moaning today would do well watching some of that .

If you ever get the time and machinery to convert certain games to dvd  I would certainly pay good money for the dvd.

If you find time Paul , any chance of the 3-0 home win over Port Vale 1986/87 , and I know you generally don't do defeats , but Derby away 1985/86 if you could (2-1 defeat , but if I remember Asa Hartford scored a screamer.

I do have both of them somewhere so that should be OK. From memory Hartford did score a screamer in that one at Derby. Needless to say we blew it a short time later.

Even when we were shit we used to beat Port Vale. We're the ultimate bogey team for them. I think they've only ever beaten us once or twice in about 30 attempts - and that 3-0 was the year we got relegated to Div 4

I've been focusing on derby wins - just purely because they're the ones I enjoy the most. 

I wouldn't know how to convert them to be honest!

6 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I do have both of them somewhere so that should be OK. From memory Hartford did score a screamer in that one at Derby. Needless to say we blew it a short time later.

Even when we were shit we used to beat Port Vale. We're the ultimate bogey team for them. I think they've only ever beaten us once or twice in about 30 attempts - and that 3-0 was the year we got relegated to Div 4

I've been focusing on derby wins - just purely because they're the ones I enjoy the most. 

I wouldn't know how to convert them to be honest!

Nice one Paul , yes the Derby games (especially away , with a good following) they are great to watch.

I'm sure we were 3-0 up at half time in the Port Vale game , only a week or 2 after putting 4 past Darlington . A strange season that although we were far from good in the first part , we seemed to know were the net was , it's why we failed off so disastrously in the latter half of it.

Edited by dusan nikolic

8 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Nice one Paul , yes the Derby games (especially away , with a good following) they are great to watch.

I'm sure we were 3-0 up at half time in the Port Vale game , only a week or 2 after putting 4 past Darlington . A strange season that although we were far from good in the first part , we seemed to know were the net was , it's why we failed off so disastrously in the latter half of it.

It was 3-0 at half time - really sunny day. We beat Darlington 4-3 but they were our only two wins in our first 11 league games that year. Then we beat Blackpool 1-0 at home, which was a surprise because they were doing well. I've got that one up on You Tube.

The 1991/92 season was forgettable other than a really good FA Cup run. In the league we finished mid-table which was a huge disappointment given the two previous promotion pushes. Phil Neal paid for it with his job that Summer. 

Since 1985 Bury had been a huge thorn in Bolton's side with three heavy wins at Burnden and an unbeaten record against us at home. We beat them at home in 89/90 (3-1) and in the play off second leg in 90/91 (1-0). Two wins in 17 or 18 games in league and cup - so a really poor record

This 2-1 win over them was therefore a brief moment of enjoyment. Andy Walker had recently signed and scored both showing his razor sharp goalscoring prowess. The team was set up unusually with Phil Brown playing sweeper, Walker, Reeves and Philliskirk up front and Stubbs in midfield. 

Ex Bolton player Peter Valentine gets sent off half way through the second half for an off the ball kick at Reevesie. Bury were on their way to relegation after financial turmoil.

4 hours ago, paulhanley said:

The 1991/92 season was forgettable other than a really good FA Cup run. In the league we finished mid-table which was a huge disappointment given the two previous promotion pushes. Phil Neal paid for it with his job that Summer. 

Since 1985 Bury had been a huge thorn in Bolton's side with three heavy wins at Burnden and an unbeaten record against us at home. We beat them at home in 89/90 (3-1) and in the play off second leg in 90/91 (1-0). Two wins in 17 or 18 games in league and cup - so a really poor record

This 2-1 win over them was therefore a brief moment of enjoyment. Andy Walker had recently signed and scored both showing his razor sharp goalscoring prowess. The team was set up unusually with Phil Brown playing sweeper, Walker, Reeves and Philliskirk up front and Stubbs in midfield. 

Ex Bolton player Peter Valentine gets sent off half way through the second half for an off the ball kick at Reevesie. Bury were on their way to relegation after financial turmoil.

Cheers Paul , what a great poacher Andy Walker was , like any good forward always in the right place.

I noticed Ian Steven's enjoyed his goal , he had a decent scoring record at his 3 clubs after us , why was he never really given a decent run in the team , was it he simply wasn't good enough or his face just didn't fit.

6 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Cheers Paul , what a great poacher Andy Walker was , like any good forward always in the right place.

I noticed Ian Steven's enjoyed his goal , he had a decent scoring record at his 3 clubs after us , why was he never really given a decent run in the team , was it he simply wasn't good enough or his face just didn't fit.

It was Kevin Hulme who got that goal actually. Stevens' shot hit the bar but he couldn't quite get to the follow-up before Hulme. 

I suppose Neal just always saw him as not being quite as good as Reeves and Philliskirk. Dave Higson used to call for him to be picked all the time.  He was definitely a reasonable forward - but I guess using him would have been a step sideways at best when you consider the players who eventually did dislodge Reevesie and TP were John McGinlay and Andy Walker.

5 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

It was Kevin Hulme who got that goal actually. Stevens' shot hit the bar but he couldn't quite get to the follow-up before Hulme. 

I suppose Neal just always saw him as not being quite as good as Reeves and Philliskirk. Dave Higson used to call for him to be picked all the time.  He was definitely a reasonable forward - but I guess using him would have been a step sideways at best when you consider the players who eventually did dislodge Reevesie and TP were John McGinlay and Andy Walker.

That'll teach me to pay more attention.

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

Not forgetting Elliot, Morgan and Thomas in the division 4 campaign , I'm not sure how old he was then though.

6 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Not forgetting Elliot, Morgan and Thomas in the division 4 campaign , I'm not sure how old he was then though.

Maybe 22? I'd have to check. He just never quite edged to the top of the list. The fans often called for him to be picked but Phil Neal knew better. Maybe on this occasion he actually did know better because Stevens never really played about 3rd/4th tier later in his career.

4 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Maybe 22? I'd have to check. He just never quite edged to the top of the list. The fans often called for him to be picked but Phil Neal knew better. Maybe on this occasion he actually did know better because Stevens never really played about 3rd/4th tier later in his career.

Yes that's true , perhaps the lower league was his level , but on that scale perhaps the same could be said of John Thomas , I think most of his big hauls were in division 4 . To be fair to J T though , just watching your videos show how good a work rate he seemed to have.

51 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Yes that's true , perhaps the lower league was his level , but on that scale perhaps the same could be said of John Thomas , I think most of his big hauls were in division 4 . To be fair to J T though , just watching your videos show how good a work rate he seemed to have.

He did work hard .. but at the same time he looks a bit unfit. Like he's carrying timber around his middle. Didn't matter. Knew where the back of the net was. I think he was too good for Div 4 and at his level in Div 3. When we signed him in Summer 87 he was 29 so probably a year out from being past his best.