Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Speed Camera

Guest bwfcdan

• Site Supporter

Sure someone said to me once that;

One flash - you're ok, no film in

Two flashes - you've had it. Takes two pics to measure your speed over a distance

Not sure if that's true or not.

in the older style ones,with normal film, two flashes once you set the camera by travelling at speed towards it, then the picture is examined, at the time elapse between the two flashes, each of the white lines painted on the road represents 5mph, on examination, 6 lines behind your car and your fine, 7 and your fcked, if they can read the reg that is. That's also how they determine which car was speeding when two go through at the same time on two lane road, one speeding and one not.

newer ones are digital and are linked directly to computer, but some are timed just be in operation at certain periods.

the next generation, apparently due out next year, will take your picture, send you a text/email telling you you've been done and either ask for your bank details by reply or inform you of the amount they have just debited from your account details you have previously provided!then a letter informing you of your points/choice of speed awareness course.

edit: the 6 and 7 measurement is for 30mph, obviously changes higher the speed limit.

Edited by fatolive

the next generation, apparently due out next year, will take your picture, send you a text/email telling you you've been done and either ask for your bank details by reply or inform you of the amount they have just debited from your account details you have previously provided!then a letter informing you of your points/choice of speed awareness course.

Thats bollocks surely. How can they take money from your account if they don't know who is driving the car.

• Site Supporter

Thats bollocks surely. How can they take money from your account if they don't know who is driving the car.

F?ck knows, maybe the registered keeper will get the text, same as they get the letter now?

I don't decide or owt, that's just what I know, the technology is already there on certain toll roads in Europe, Number plate read and billed from an account each time you go through a set point, can either set it up so it comes out of a certain account or log on and pay each time. wouldn't be much of a jump to put it onto speed cameras that read the registration.

I don't know if it will come in here, may be all sorts of obstacles, financial and political, but I do know that the technology and cameras will be available to be here next year, the how they go about automated billing will be one of the deciding factors of whether they come in or not I would say.

All cars where to have devices linked to GPS, this was suggested for the congrestion charge which will happen eventually.

In theory it means they could check your speed everywhere you go...

In the states they use choppers and planes to check speeds so a "bird" in the sky checking aint to for off.

F?ck knows, maybe the registered keeper will get the text, same as they get the letter now?

I don't decide or owt, that's just what I know, the technology is already there on certain toll roads in Europe, Number plate read and billed from an account each time you go through a set point, can either set it up so it comes out of a certain account or log on and pay each time. wouldn't be much of a jump to put it onto speed cameras that read the registration.

I don't know if it will come in here, may be all sorts of obstacles, financial and political, but I do know that the technology and cameras will be available to be here next year, the how they go about automated billing will be one of the deciding factors of whether they come in or not I would say.

don't they already do this with registered bods that go in to London and thus into the congestion charge zone?

All cars where to have devices linked to GPS, this was suggested for the congrestion charge which will happen eventually.

In the states they use choppers and planes to check speeds so a "bird" in the sky checking aint to for off.

The insurance industry are keen on this so they can stop some fraudulent claims by checking time and location.

The telematic boxes that people have in the car with some policies at the moment have access to speed, location, how harsh your accelleration/braking/cornering is, what you had for your tea etc.

• Site Supporter

don't they already do this with registered bods that go in to London and thus into the congestion charge zone?

your right, they do, so they may well think nothing of doing it with the new speed cameras, i just don't know if they will or not. i only know that the new cameras are due to be here next year and as well as speed, can do you for not wearing a seat belt or no insurance/mot etc.

they are trailer mounted apparently, so will be used by the police, rather than fixed in any one location.

They use choppers and planes on the Cat and Fiddle Road and having signs advising you of it.

The insurance industry are keen on this so they can stop some fraudulent claims by checking time and location.

The telematic boxes that people have in the car with some policies at the moment have access to speed, location, how harsh your accelleration/braking/cornering is, what you had for your tea etc.

Alos pay as go insurance, different prices for peak time travel etc.

And of course everyone will provide their mobile number/email addresses/bank details for if/when we get caught!!

I can already see the lid being loosened on the can of worms.

• Site Supporter

And of course everyone will provide their mobile number/email addresses/bank details for if/when we get caught!!

I can already see the lid being loosened on the can of worms.

maybe,but people provide their bank details now when they get a letter, the only difference is you'll know instantly, and yes, the phone number /email would have to be registered to the car, not much of a hard thing to make a pre requisite to vehicle registration.

not saying that it is going to happen, but i know the cameras have the technology to be able to do it, should the powers that be decide they want to do it.

The way technology has gone is fuckin scary.

some fucker sitting in an office in cheltenham could be watching your every move from the moment you leave the house til the moment you get home using all the big brother technology about nowadays, he will know what washing powder you use from your debit card records, how many times you call dirty sharon on the sex line from your phone records and what speed you drive at whenever you are in your car because your smart phone or sat nav tracks your every move.

I have mixed views on this, if you have nothing to hide, then what's the problem but conversely it's intrusive and not nice to think someone could be monitoring you.

All the technology is there now and things are only going to get worse