Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wood St Memories From The 70S

leigh white

Having a smook today outside the Flying Flute and glanced across to Wood St and wandering how that hidden gem got closed down, for a fall back boozer when a game got called off or abandoned, this was the club of choice when everywhere had shut until late on. Mind it's still fucking grim along this stretch of road even for me.

Having a smook today outside the Flying Flute and glanced across to Wood St and wandering how that hidden gem got closed down, for a fall back boozer when a game got called off or abandoned, this was the club of choice when everywhere had shut until late on. Mind it's still fucking grim along this stretch of road even for me.

When the pubs used to shut between 3 & 5-30, the choice for continued boozing was between Wood St & The Catholic Club near The Painters.

Wood St had the more earthy clientele :)

Wood Street  was ace for me in the 70's as a young lad (18) with long BLONDE hair, the old tarts used to wind me up to fuck, they were very scary

I went in the Aspin Club when I was 15 with a girl I knew from Tyldesley on a Sunday morning, the place was still buzzing with folk. Bolton was bonkers in 69.

• Members

how come milwall's lot used to frequent that place on visits to burnden,were they connected to the landlord ?

My Treatment mate down here always waxes lyrical about Wood St SS.

They found it by accident one year and 'felt right at home'.

Speaks volumes.