Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

I Love Bolton Roll Call.

tomski

We've gained a big amount of support from areas north and west of the macron that we wouldn't have gained if we were still at Burnden.

There's loads from Leyland,adlington,Chorley all in their 20's that probably would have ended up watching Wigan/Preston/Blackburn if the macron wasnt where it was along with the success we had.

The train back towards Preston on a match day is as full as the one back to Bolton.

my gaffer at work, a villa fan from brum originally lives in addlington now says they're all Bolton fans as is he now Edited by scallywell

football attendances are generally higher

burnden only held 21 or so at the death

Attendances are higher largely because of the quality of the new stadiums. We only averaged 16,000 in our last season at Burnden when we won the Championship by a mile. Our lowest average attendance at the Reebok was just under 14,500 in 2000 when we finished 6th in the Championship for a second successive season.

Opinion presented as fact.

http://www.wsc.co.uk/wsc-daily/1156-january-2013/9307-league-attendances-in-england-have-stopped-rising

According to the Deloitte 2012 Annual Review of Football Finance, clubs collectively invested around £3 billion in grounds and facilities, including the construction of over 30 new stadiums, over the previous 20 years. After decades of neglect this spending served to drive up attendances – the report mentions that Brighton's recent move to Falmer resulted in attendances increasing by 172 per cent, referring to this as the "new stadium effect".

Some interesting attendance stats:

We were in the top twelve best supported clubs in the country in 1953/54 four places above Man City and just three below Utd.

We were the 53rd best supported club in the league in 1986/87 just below Gillingham and Grimsby.

In 1976/77 we were one of only two Second Division clubs in the top twenty best supported clubs in the country.

In 1975/76 Birmingham were the 4th best supported club in the country!

my gaffer at work, a villa fan from brum originally lives in addlington now says they're all Bolton fans as is he now

Madlington is a Bolton hotbed.

I only know one lad there who supports someone else, City, and he has always had a Bolton season ticket to go with his mates, even renewed this year.

Some interesting facts here. I never realised the Preston-bound train was so full. Having spent years, until the last 3, heading back to London after a match I've never gone that way. It's heartening to hear. I still think we could do more to cement our support in all BL postcodes. Too many red (and now blue) shirts to be seen about the place for my liking. You don't see black and white shirts in Sunderland, or red and white in Newcastle (tho places like South Shields are a mix). Would love to see only Wanderers shirts in Bolton. And those wearing other colours having to explain themselves - not for fear of physical violence, but just because if you're from Bolton you should support BWFC. Cos it's the law.

At one time the Fylde Coast Bw supporters club had over 200 members. There used to be a bi monthly meeting at the queens hotel and they ran a bus to the reebok every week. All went to shit when all the comitie fell out.

More recently I used to routinely fill a 60 seater to decent away games. Stoke semi being the last one.

I know folk in kirkham,lytham,Cleveleys and Bispham who all support Bolton.

On the train front...normal service is resumed from Preston to Bolton as off this week. No bastard bus service.

The support is still there it just needs awakening we need some good news some positive results we also need some direction to be shown from the club.

I agree with this. I know its a load of shit but if we actually just show a bit of promise the crowds will increase.

Although I do enjoy it a bit more when its just the hardcore supporters. At least we know that people still going now are not just here for the ride etc.

I love it when our ground is full, whether it's JCLs or not.

Creates a good atmosphere and it's usually when we have something to play for.

In recent times WBA, Swansea, Blackburn (muamba) and Blackpool (play off push) have all been full and not just for success, when it's mattered for relegation.

The support is there, it's just people want us to be playing for something.

Start of the season, midweek against Rotherham doesn't wet my appetite, let alone 50/50 fans.

• Moderators

The support is there, it's just people want us to be playing for something.

the 'im not going anymore, we're shit' brigade reckon we're going down

is trying to avoid relegation to division 3 not 'playing for something'

we've had 20 odd years of mostly good times with something to play for til the last week of the season

its been pretty easy being a whites fan

Then again, there's plenty who complain about people who go to the games and express their opinions. Then when they stay away, they moan about them not going. I'm sure that the club would rather people paid their money and sat there booing for 90 minutes, than didn't turn up at all.

• Moderators

Then again, there's plenty who complain about people who go to the games and express their opinions. Then when they stay away, they moan about them not going. I'm sure that the club would rather people paid their money and sat there booing for 90 minutes, than didn't turn up at all.

all fair points

why not just go and support through thin and thinner :)

Id rather they got their head trapped under a bus tbh.