Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Birmingham 0 Bolton 1

Ratwhite

I thought that whilst we played with more heart and more energy that we were lucky to win against a very poor Birmingham side. Delighted with the win and certainly noticed the improvement. But I still think we looked way short of being comfortable this season. Perhaps that will come. I hope there is room for more improvement.

The midfield was the area that Lennon has obviously worked on. We pressed much better and had a shape that provided cover whilst letting us also get numbers forward. Pratley had a brilliant game in every single aspect except for what he did with the ball. His energy, running, workrate was as good as you'll see. His on the ball work was as bad as you will see. Beckford tried hard but basically is ineffective until we find someone who can pick his runs early and apply the right pass. Lee was very good but let down by the standard around him. Feeney was poor. I don't think he has much of a clue and towards the end Spearing went mental at him for losing the ball when he could have kept it and run the clock down. Danns and Spearing look like our best midfield pairing to me. The back four were ok but the same lax marking and errors were seen in the second half especially. Dervite looked more shaky than I've seen him before. Mills held it together though. 

There are glaring issues in that side, we have no left sided player, so we lack balance. We don't have a good enough lone front man and as well as Lee played I don't see him contributing enough goals or chances in that position over a season. I also think that we lack genuine pace going forward. I think Lennon will sort us out and hopefully get us out of this mess this season, but I still expect a long hard winter with these players unless he can persuade Eddie to open the wallet up again. 

I thought that whilst we played with more heart and more energy that we were lucky to win against a very poor Birmingham side. Delighted with the win and certainly noticed the improvement. But I still think we looked way short of being comfortable this season. Perhaps that will come. I hope there is room for more improvement.

The midfield was the area that Lennon has obviously worked on. We pressed much better and had a shape that provided cover whilst letting us also get numbers forward. Pratley had a brilliant game in every single aspect except for what he did with the ball. His energy, running, workrate was as good as you'll see. His on the ball work was as bad as you will see. Beckford tried hard but basically is ineffective until we find someone who can pick his runs early and apply the right pass. Lee was very good but let down by the standard around him. Feeney was poor. I don't think he has much of a clue and towards the end Spearing went mental at him for losing the ball when he could have kept it and run the clock down. Danns and Spearing look like our best midfield pairing to me. The back four were ok but the same lax marking and errors were seen in the second half especially. Dervite looked more shaky than I've seen him before. Mills held it together though. 

There are glaring issues in that side, we have no left sided player, so we lack balance. We don't have a good enough lone front man and as well as Lee played I don't see him contributing enough goals or chances in that position over a season. I also think that we lack genuine pace going forward. I think Lennon will sort us out and hopefully get us out of this mess this season, but I still expect a long hard winter with these players unless he can persuade Eddie to open the wallet up again.

Other than that.....?

Good dose of reality there.

Personally I would play Medo central and Danns wider in place of Pratley, who to be fair tried to do a job but nothing went right. The ball he played to beckford first half when beckford seemed to be in space, Pratley played it to him just as Beckford made a run summed his day up.

Very much a start but need to keep it going.

Still big question marks at the back, Ream ahead of Moxey for me although Moxey had best game I have seen from him, confidence from a few good games will make a massive difference too.

Edited by Ani

Pretty much this.

A lot of room for improvement, and I expect Lennon will sort it. But not overnight.

I'm expecting a hard difficult winter, but hopefully with a lot of excitement & effort & passion ............ including the fans.

Edited by Rembrandt

Went outside just after the fun and games. Bowton baked seemed to be accumulating full glasses of beer, assume you got em all supped.

It's all those nice people who buy me beer.

No beer is ever left. Given it's Monday, & I'm still rough, it might be about time I started leaving some :(

• Site Supporter

yeah mate

Should have had my little cousin intow but he got grounded midweek

Think I clocked you at Brum Station, and you were on the 10.28 out of Wigan. I was with Mrs, Tall bloke with beard (me not her)

Think I clocked you at Brum Station, and you were on the 10.28 out of Wigan. I was with Mrs, Tall bloke with beard (me not her)

yes Pale blue jacket.

you should have said hello. most just shout Hughesy or pieman  and see if i turn round : ) always wished id have picked pieman as my username.

yes Pale blue jacket.

you should have said hello. most just shout Hughesy or pieman  and see if i turn round : ) always wished id have picked pieman as my username.

I'm sure the mods could be persuaded