Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

• Members
11 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

I think @Tonge moor green jacket makes a good point about a wealth line. Personally, I’d draw that as low as possible. In terms of how much clubs and players can be sold for. It’s ridiculously out of hand, but it’s been going this way for a while and we’ve become accustomed to it. Nothing seems to shock anyone anymore and we love the game so much that we turn a blind eye to it all. Financial fair play clearly changes nothing and those with the richest owners continue to achieve most the success. But yes, any alternative is just communism 😂

At least you now admit it. Well done tovarich.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Traf said:

A 20% increase in the chance of them winning it.

I'd like Arsenal to win the league, Brighton the FA cup and Napoli the CL 

But I think city will probably win the treble 

Think it's around 3/1

11 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Instead of nimby mung bean munchers wearing Palestinian scarves? Yes please.

Aye that’s it… there’s no balance needed then? No financial fair play? Let the billionaires do whatever they like with our clubs and anyone suggesting an alternative is a Palestine worshipping communist.

You do get yourself in a proper fantasy land pickle sometimes, I can see why GB news gives you a hard on. 

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Whats the script with the play offs in the national league?

2nd to 7th get in

one legged 1/4s and semis

• 4th v 7th
  • 5th v 6th

then

• 2nd v 4th or 7th
  • 3rd v 5th or 6th

then the final

Grimsby came 6th last season - beat Notts County away after getting 96th min equaliser and 119th minute winner, then won 5-4 at Wrexham with 119th minute winner, came from behind and won the final in extra time (111th minute)

know a Grimsby fan who went to all 3, final was at West Ham

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, London Wanderer said:

Aye that’s it… there’s no balance needed then? No financial fair play? Let the billionaires do whatever they like with our clubs and anyone suggesting an alternative is a Palestine worshipping communist.

You do get yourself in a proper fantasy land pickle sometimes, I can see why GB news gives you a hard on. 

They have passed the tests so are legitimate owners.

Doesn't mean they are automatically bad, because they have lots of dosh.

Kunterson had nothing, and was a wanker.

The guys in charge of city has transformed the whole area, with huge investment.

It seems your ideology is restricting your ability to recognise the difference, because you always criticise an owner according to wealth, instead of looking at the overall picture.

We can all moralise over how the wealth was accumulated, but then again, different cultures have different attitudes. Whether via sporting investments, chemicals, oil or whatever, someone, somewhere won't be happy about it.

If folk don't like it then use your freedoms to lobby mps and relevant sporting bodies and try to affect change.

State ownership of football clubs us wrong, whatever way you try and cut it.

The fact it turns people into apologising mouthpieces for some of the regressive regimes (it not about wealth accumulation) on the planet is a tip of the iceberg.

'Look at the investment around City' 😄 they're not philanthropists, they're not sat there in the middle east going, 'hmmm, I bet I could really help the kids of East Manchester.'

They are doing it for their own political influence, and people swallow it wholesale because they know football clubs are communities.

It stinks to high fucking heaven and the fact that fans, the governing bodies nor the government really gives a flying on the whole is really problematic.

And it seems we'll always have the willing shills like TM here to defend them.

1 hour ago, Zico said:

2nd to 7th get in

one legged 1/4s and semis

• 4th v 7th
  • 5th v 6th

then

• 2nd v 4th or 7th
  • 3rd v 5th or 6th

then the final

Grimsby came 6th last season - beat Notts County away after getting 96th min equaliser and 119th minute winner, then won 5-4 at Wrexham with 119th minute winner, came from behind and won the final in extra time (111th minute)

know a Grimsby fan who went to all 3, final was at West Ham

Confirmed the final was back at Wembley this year - 13th May.

Quick turnaround as season finishes on 29th April.

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

The fact it turns people into apologising mouthpieces for some of the regressive regimes (it not about wealth accumulation) on the planet is a tip of the iceberg.

'Look at the investment around City' 😄 they're not philanthropists, they're not sat there in the middle east going, 'hmmm, I bet I could really help the kids of East Manchester.'

They are doing it for their own political influence, and people swallow it wholesale because they know football clubs are communities.

It stinks to high fucking heaven and the fact that fans, the governing bodies nor the government really gives a flying on the whole is really problematic.

Why should football be the only part of society not accepting Middle Eastern investment?

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

Think the cool kids call it sports washing.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

They have passed the tests so are legitimate owners.

Doesn't mean they are automatically bad, because they have lots of dosh.

Kunterson had nothing, and was a wanker.

The guys in charge of city has transformed the whole area, with huge investment.

It seems your ideology is restricting your ability to recognise the difference, because you always criticise an owner according to wealth, instead of looking at the overall picture.

We can all moralise over how the wealth was accumulated, but then again, different cultures have different attitudes. Whether via sporting investments, chemicals, oil or whatever, someone, somewhere won't be happy about it.

If folk don't like it then use your freedoms to lobby mps and relevant sporting bodies and try to affect change.

The comments in bold shows how little you've attempted to listen to any of my points. I haven't been criticising according to wealth or said that someone's wealth makes them a bad person. I'm arguing that some football clubs have becomes toys for the wealthy and that the views of fans and financial sustainability has become irrelevant. 

Clearly the tests you speak of don't work. Financial fair play hasn't been working but time will tell on that one. The likes of Abramovich and the ex Qatari owner of Malaga show just how vulnerable stable clubs can become at the hands of these people. It's a lottery based on which owner you get and clubs and fans aren't protected. What happened in Malaga was awful.

There's little evidence that City's regeneration in East Manchester has improved people's lives in those areas. The swanky new flats and business haven't made a dent on cycles of poverty and deprivation. They've still suffered a swathe of closed swimming pools, leisure centres and libraries and sure start services. Private enterprise growth in this area of Manchester has seen very few benefits trickling down. 

There were plenty of fairy tales and excitement in football long before spending got out of hand. 

37 minutes ago, green genie said:

Why should football be the only part of society not accepting Middle Eastern investment?

Ok, have a think about the regimes that are buying these clubs. Other countries own cultural assets in the UK. Other country's with massive issues of human rights records. Not only that, as we know, football clubs aren't simply businesses, they are centre's of communities. You are buying a foothold into a country without checks and balances (and this would happend even within the private sector by the government) As people knwo you don't make money really from football ownership, so why do it? Have the Sadui's just become huge football fans? Or just because it's out of the goodness of their heart? 

Its a huge loophole that allows these regimes huge amounts of soft power - and they know it's not watched or rather not overseen because the fans are looking at success and the league is looking at the money.

And yes, it is sportswashing, culturewashing, soft power control - whatever you want to call it and its not just something trendy, its a mess that we turn a blind eye to this sort of crap and then wonder why the game is broken.

And it works - look at this thread, even down to your  response, to see it in action. This lot do an excellent job of explaining the issues they have gone through as Newcastle fans;

https://www.nufcfansagainstsportswashing.org.uk/about-us

• Site Supporter

Short term memories there.

Football clubs have long lumbered from one financial mess to another. Recent growth at the top table hasn't worsened it.

A history of ambition and hubris amongst owners.

We just hear more about it now, as the regulations are being used, albeit not consistently.

Oh, and whenever you've criticised owners it is accompanied by billionaire this or that.

As for Manchester regenerarion- a club wouldn't be building private accomodation, so its not relevant.

Nor are they anything whatsoever to do with surestart services; a really odd comment, and suggests you are deliberately conflating seperate issues to try and do down the efforts of private enterprise.

They have invested hugely in sporting and education infrastructure to the benefit of loads of kids, and adults alike. If that's not trickling down money then it will never happen. 

I doubt those that enjoy such facilities question where the money came from neither.

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Short term memories there.

Football clubs have long lumbered from one financial mess to another. Recent growth at the top table hasn't worsened it.

A history of ambition and hubris amongst owners.

We just hear more about it now, as the regulations are being used, albeit not consistently.

Oh, and whenever you've criticised owners it is accompanied by billionaire this or that.

As for Manchester regenerarion- a club wouldn't be building private accomodation, so its not relevant.

Nor are they anything whatsoever to do with surestart services; a really odd comment, and suggests you are deliberately conflating seperate issues to try and do down the efforts of private enterprise.

They have invested hugely in sporting and education infrastructure to the benefit of loads of kids, and adults alike. If that's not trickling down money then it will never happen. 

I doubt those that enjoy such facilities question where the money came from neither.

😄 Hook, line and Middle-East sinker.

An example of sportwashing in action. 

52 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

😄 Hook, line and Middle-East sinker.

An example of sportwashing in action. 

Still not answered my question.

We supply arms to these regimes, their princes comes to our private schools, universities and military academies, they buy huge rafts of property around London, yet they aren’t allowed to invest money for whatever reason in football?

9 minutes ago, green genie said:

Still not answered my question.

We supply arms to these regimes, their princes comes to our private schools, universities and military academies, they buy huge rafts of property around London, yet they aren’t allowed to invest money for whatever reason in football?

I believe I did.

The question I think you need to ask yourself is do you think Football Clubs are simply businesses or do they have a more important cultural role?

And if they don't think they are, then ask yourself this, why do you think questionable regimes are keen to buy them?

59 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I believe I did.

The question I think you need to ask yourself is do you think Football Clubs are simply businesses or do they have a more important cultural role?

And if they don't think they are, then ask yourself this, why do you think questionable regimes are keen to buy them?

Shouldn’t they have started with Rogers mob and the Dippersthen? Poured 100’a millions into City (and could double their money with a sale) and the media despise them for upsetting the Sky cosy club.

6 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

Your Palestinian scarf giving you gip then?