Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Where To Holiday 2016

Happy Wanderer

Cheap Ryanair flight, by any chance?

Yep. Always fancied the Plitvice Lakes and its the nearest place. Reading up about Zadar sounds pretty decent in its own right.

Was considering Shannon - return from Manchester for £17!

Edited by Smiley

Yep. Always fancied the Plitvice Lakes and its the nearest place. Reading up about Zadar sounds pretty decent in its own right.

Was considering Shannon - return from Manchester for £17!

Limerick is a lovely little place for weekend piss up. 

Defo worth two days of your time. Lovely little town, decent food and ale. Easy-ish on the pocket too.

There are some nice little islands which are worth considering. If you had 4-5 days to spilt between Zadar and another.

Loved Zadar, town itself was pretty lively, no beach but a few beers down by the sea organ on a warm evening was great. Car we'd hired fell through (not literally) so got the bus to plitvice lakes; cheap enough but the bus was nearly 2 hours late and nobody seemed to bat an eyelid ????

No real hotels up there but loads of guesthouse types places that were great and cheap enough, lakes themselves were stunning, would go back definitely ????

Loved Zadar, town itself was pretty lively, no beach but a few beers down by the sea organ on a warm evening was great...

There is a 'beach' - Kolovare Beach, to find it, go through the land gate out of the old town and around the tiny marina (a good seafood restaurant here btw) and stick to the seafront (or at least keep the sea in sight) after about half a mile of seafront (or the sreet behind seafront apartments) Kolovare Beach: it's not a real beach, but there's decking and swimming pool style steps and a handrail into the sea, there's a diving platform (into the sea) and a small bar with terrace, there's a seawater pool and showers open to the public gratis, and stone-cut steps gallery/sunbathing area overlooking it. It's not going to win any beauty competitions (kolovare) but it's clean and the views out to sea are great - it's a locals' type of place, but they're friendly enough after a while... On the walk back you'll pass the University, there's a good and cheapish place right on the seafront near here, does big plates of traditional mixed grills - beltin'. The bars near the Uni tend to be livlier than those in the old town. There's a lack of hotels, but plenty apartments and villas (or whole self-contained top or bottom storeys of villas) for rent on Air BnB. Visit one of the islands if you're staying a while, and definitely take a rowboat taxi (about 60p!) across the harbour toward the Maraska factory (best at dusk, just before they knock off) - there's another good bar on the waterfront here, where one can watch shady blacked out/pimped out motor yachts of Russian and Balkan gangsters coming and going...

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Oh aye, good shout for beers at sunset at the Sea Organ...

'The Garden' is an outdoor bar that's worth a visit too, it's up on the hill above the sea gate...

Go up the bell tower in the old town on your first day (and just before the hour strikes :) ) It'll give you a good idea of where everything is in relation to your map...

I've been pricing up flights to PV recently, they're all pretty much splitting hairs, but the Norwegian Airlines deal to LA seems too good to be true, you can (or could) get direct Aeromexico flights LA to Puerto Vallarta for around £300 (return)...

I'll ask about hotels and deals if you like, I know someone who lives there full time...

I didn't know they allowed folk who were sorting their own digs on charter flights...

Then again, I've only ever travelled alone or with girls/women or mates, so never looked into it before.

Everyday's a schoolday - I've often thought of booking holidays with Thompson etc. Just to use the flights, but the cost difference has often been negligble when everything is accounted for, and the tight-fisted side of me doesn't like the thought of the holiday part of the package going to waste...

Looking to do something different this year, so been having a tacit look at cruises.

Anyone offer some pointers?

Firstly I get seasick quite easily, would this affect me on a big cruise ship?

Secondly, Im a 46 year old bloke, and id be travelling on my own, is it something I should be waiting 10 years til I start looking at it?

Thirdly, who are the best companies to look at? Im beggared by the choice.

Edited by Con

I've been pricing up flights to PV recently, they're all pretty much splitting hairs, but the Norwegian Airlines deal to LA seems too good to be true, you can (or could) get direct Aeromexico flights LA to Puerto Vallarta for around £300 (return)...

I'll ask about hotels and deals if you like, I know someone who lives there full time...

I've booked flights with Norwegian back from LA

Cost £207 + bags to Gatwick

Would have been £150 to Manchester via Copenhagen if the second flight was an hour later!!

Look like a decent outfit this Norwegian, looking at them again for Thailand at Xmas

I found an Oslo/LA return for £316, problem was the flights were a month apart!

And the site seemed to be down for maintenance a lot, which made me uneasy.

Maybe I'll see how yours (or others) flights with Norwegian Air goes before booking... :)

(probably the route will be established by then and the prices will have gone up, as this happened before with the Spanish carrier Air Europa :( ).