Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Challenge Malcolm #17

Whites man

Well since no-one seems to care; they have all been relegated via the playoffs.

A similar system called Test Matches apllied between 1892 and 1897.

Bottom of First played top of Second, next bottom played second and third bottom played third.

So Accrington, Notts County, Darwen, Newton Heath, Liverpool, Small Heath and Burnley were relegated by these means.

Newton Heath were one of the clubs elected directly to Division I when it was increased from 14 to 16 teams, They finished bottom but survived their Test Match against Small Heath ("battle of the heathens"?). They finished bottom again the next season, equalling the record of Stoke, who finished bottom in the first two seasons of the league before being replaced by Sunderland.

A similar system called Test Matches apllied between 1892 and 1897.

Bottom of First played top of Second, next bottom played second and third bottom played third.

So Accrington, Notts County, Darwen, Newton Heath, Liverpool, Small Heath and Burnley were relegated by these means.

Newton Heath were one of the clubs elected directly to Division I when it was increased from 14 to 16 teams, They finished bottom but survived their Test Match against Small Heath ("battle of the heathens"?). They finished bottom again the next season, equalling the record of Stoke, who finished bottom in the first two seasons of the league before being replaced by Sunderland.

Nah, Test Matches, Schmest Matches. 

Hmmm...that gets me thinking, if we were talking about Peter Schmeichel, would I go "Schmeichel, Schschmeichel" or what???