Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Tour De France

maaarsh

1 stage?? Not really a Tour is it

No wonder the girl who got popped on the line was gutted

Anyway the Tour, not much happened today, big couple of days ahead

All the leading women except the one who lost at the end had just finished a 10 day Gira Rosa on Sunday.

Plenty happened in the TdF proper. The leader, who has been expected to lose the Yellow every day since he got it on Stage 3 increased his lead from 43 secs to 2:22. A few contenders fell away, but most of the favoured riders stayed together.

Tomorrow is a summit finish and so is Thursday, so the position in 48 hours will be interesting.

I went last week mate, ha ha

Stage 6 - Brest to Mir De Bretagne

Very good trip

The Alps would be something else though

I know....I actually mean cycling a stage or two yourself, not just watching

I know....I actually mean cycling a stage or two yourself, not just watching

Not sure about that mate. Jesus

Much better with a few Kronenburg and some fois gras

In all seriousness the last time I rode a bike was about 4 or 5 years back when I did the London to Paris

Should really give it another go

We do our shopping in Bourg Saint Maurice and use the road the roll out was on a lot. It shows how fit these guys are because that road in by no means flat and they were making it look easy, I think I will stick to my mountain bike jumping on the chairlift to the top of the mountain, them uphill stretches are to hard for my old knees.

The Welshman Thomas is in the lead

Be interested to know if he also has ‘asthma’

He will have....

Anyway, he's the same team as Froome isn't he? - I wonder if he'll be "asked" to move out of the way for Froome as the race develops, or if he will be allowed to win it

Sounds like the big question mark over him is doing it into the third week when they get into the Pyrenees

I’d imagine they will go as they are for the time being, not worth asking GT to step aside as anything could happen to Froome yet

The last stage (effectively) is a time trial anyway so that’s every man for himself

He will have....

Anyway, he's the same team as Froome isn't he? - I wonder if he'll be "asked" to move out of the way for Froome as the race develops, or if he will be allowed to win it

The final day is processional, apart from the final sprint.

The previous day is an individual time trial.

While both Froome and Thomas are really good time triallists, Dumoulin is the world champion.

Currently Froome is 99 seconds behind Thomas and only 11 seconds ahead of Dumoulin.

On the last 2 days Thomas has won the stage, together with 10 seconds bonus each day, Dumoulin has finished second each time picking up 6 seconds bonus twice, and Froome has finished third (4 seconds bonus) and fourth (nil).

Anyone else will need to win bigly (to use a Trumpism) on Tuesday or Friday to challenge at all.

The cards have fallen fortuitously for Thomas, but he has shown greater sprinting ability at the summits.

Farmers' protest today. As they attempted to tip straw bales onto the road it seems they were pepper-sprayed by police. But the spray blew back into riders' faces and several were affected, causing the race to be stopped for a time and then restarted. I just hope they get to the finish before I have to go out at 5.45ish.

Farmers' protest today. As they attempted to tip straw bales onto the road it seems they were pepper-sprayed by police. But the spray blew back into riders' faces and several were affected, causing the race to be stopped for a time and then restarted. I just hope they get to the finish before I have to go out at 5.45ish.

That's the most exciting thing to happen since it started

Up the farmers imo

Today's stage might be an interesting one. Sky could benefit from grid system as their domestiques are high up the GC so could maybe assist G and Froome . It's only 65km so I'm hoping it's going to be balls to the wall from the off. Going for Kruijwijk, Roglic.

• Members

We spend hours sat in traffic jams every summer when the French farmers start protesting and blocking the roads, they even have the cheek to sit there drinking beer and having a BBQ. 

Should set fire to their tractor blockade. Huge recipients of EU subsidies. They should be fucking satisfied.

Gay sport with tennis and golf

In 2013 Thomas broke his pelvis on stage 1. Still finished the whole 3 weeks, helping Froome as much as he could.

This year Sagan had a bad crash 4 days from the end. But he needed to complete the course in order to win the green jersey points competition for a record-equalling sixth time, and did so.

• Site Supporter

Gay sport with tennis and golf

I'll give you tennis

But there's nowt soft about cycling 2,000+ miles, and climbing the equivalent of Everest, in 3 weeks.

Statistically, a few of them will be gay though, if that's what you meant?