Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Whisky

madthatter

Just bought a bottle of limited edition bushmills sherry cask reseve single malt. Beautiful

Never tried more than the standard Bushmill offerings but think the original is a pretty decent everyday drinker.

I'd imagine that is lovely though!  Gonna keep my eye out for a 10 yo Bushmills being on offer over the next few weeks - always gets good reviews

I'm a bourbon man but reading Iain Banks Raw Spirit has given me a hankering to give whisky a go. Well worth a read, though some on here might not appreciate the politics.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_Spirit

I really like his novels but have never read his whisky book.  I suppose you have to forgive his overtly left leanings - he is Scottish after all ;)

It was bourbon that really got me into whisky - I've got an Evan Williams black label and an Elijah Craig 12 on the go.  Both gorgeous but the EW was a real surprise - excellent value for money drop!

Edited by madthatter

• 1 month later...

I'm talking to myself, I know, but if anyone likes a peaty whisky look out for Ledaig 10 year old.  A bit different to the Islay stuff but one of the best peated whiskies I've had.  Describing it as juicy seems odd, but it is!

For bourbon lovers, I put this on another thread, but I'd recommend the Jack Daniels Distillers edition that's out.  Beltin stuff.  I'm destroying patiently supping the 2nd release

• Site Supporter

I've polished off 3 bottles of Woodford Reserve bourbon since early December.

I've also lost a bottle of Bulleit Rye down the back of the settee, if my doctor asks.

Always liked scotch but never drank it like I am doing bourbon.

I'm a rocking chair and a red neck away from having a major issue

I've polished off 3 bottles of Woodford Reserve bourbon since early December.

I've also lost a bottle of Bulleit Rye down the back of the settee, if my doctor asks.

Always liked scotch but never drank it like I am doing bourbon.

I'm a rocking chair and a red neck away from having a major issue

:D   That sum goin', boy!    WR is a nice drop - gets all caramelly as it goes down.  I've been working through the same rye since summer.  Think I might try some Old Fashions with the last bits . . .

My fantasy life (or when I win the lottery) would consist of me moving somewhere mildly warmer and having a porch around my house like they do in the US.  I would sit there in the afternoon/evening on a rocking chair strumming my guitar and drinking whisk(e)y all day and night.

The red neck would come with the warmer climate . . .

I'd say I drink well under 2 bottles a month (usually)  Which considering I drink nothing else, other than the odd beer, isn't as bad as it sounds (is it?) 

Edited by madthatter

• Site Supporter

:D   That sum goin', boy!    WR is a nice drop - gets all caramelly as it goes down.  I've been working through the same rye since summer.  Think I might try some Old Fashions with the last bits . . .

My fantasy life (or when I win the lottery) would consist of me moving somewhere mildly warmer and having a porch around my house like they do in the US.  I would sit there in the afternoon/evening on a rocking chair strumming my guitar and drinking whisk(e)y all day and night.

The red neck would come with the warmer climate . . .

I'd say I drink well under 2 bottles a month (usually)  Which considering I drink nothing else, other than the odd beer, isn't as bad as it sounds (is it?) 

half a bottle a week,might as well call yourself teetotal

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone a fan of standard Jim Beam?  

cheap as chips (£13) so gave it a whirl.  First pour was biz.  Not rough but too woody/nutty.

Anyhow, left the lid off overnight and after giving it a good few days it's not that bad at all.  Must have a lot of rye in it (which I like) and isn't what you'd call complex but for the money or to just knock back pretty decent.