Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

We’re paying nearly nine billion nett now per year that’s 135 billion at today’s rates, the payments to the EU only going 1 way. What would it be in 15 years time? 

I have no idea what that means - it makes no sense at all. In any case, probably need Rachel Riley for this!

EDIT: You realise the forecast is £100BN a year worse off by 2030.....

Edited by bwfcfan5

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

The word forecast makes me thing it’s bollocks. 

This is the government - who are desperately trying to sell this deal. Predicting it. The NIESR predicted slightly worse.

I know it isn't what you want to hear and you are of course free to point out studies of similar weight that predict a different outcome...however, there is a substantial amount of evidence (independent and even pro Government) that points to this being economically harmful. If we take that forecast as "relatively accurate", in the absence of anything else, what do you want to do? Is the economic hit worth it? 

Just now, Sweep said:

Is it balls

We’d of paid 135 billion in to the kitty if we stay in that’s more than 100 billion isn’t it. Facts are we would definitely pay north of 135 billion staying in, while a forecast is just a best guess that it’ll cost us 100 billion in 15 years. I’ll take my chances. 

7 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

We’d of paid 135 billion in to the kitty if we stay in that’s more than 100 billion isn’t it. Facts are we would definitely pay north of 135 billion staying in, while a forecast is just a best guess that it’ll cost us 100 billion in 15 years. I’ll take my chances. 

£100BN A YEAR........

4 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

The Bank of England come out with their forecast at 16-30.

Reality Check on BBC and even Mel Stride both agree that out of all the forecasts made in the past, none have ever been accurate.

It’s all bollocks the report is spoon fed to try to force through Mays Brexit. 

6 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

You have conveniently not factored in the rebates received, EU payments to the private sector (including research grants), subsidies for farming and a host of other benefits for the UK as a whole (especially poorer areas).

Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

FORECAST. 

Yes. But you've gone from trying to claim our EU contributions are more to dismissing it as a forecast to back to claiming our EU contributions are more. IF this forecast is near close to right then economically staying in the EU is far and away the best option.

2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It’s all bollocks the report is spoon fed to try to force through Mays Brexit. 

What logic are you using here? To try and force her deal through May has demanded her treasury produce analysis showing that by 2030 we'll be £100BN a year worse off if it gets through parliament.....hmmmmm.......

4 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

You have conveniently not factored in the rebates received, EU payments to the private sector (including research grants), subsidies for farming and a host of other benefits for the UK as a whole (especially poorer areas).

I checked the figures we pay 8.6 billion nett. It wouldn’t be 8.6 billlion in 15 years I can tell you that. 

14 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Its supposed to be £100B per year. Not over 15 years.

Its all bollocks though, as nobody knows.

8 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

What logic are you using here? To try and force her deal through May has demanded her treasury produce analysis showing that by 2030 we'll be £100BN a year worse off if it gets through parliament.....hmmmmm.......

The logic is they’ve also published a no Brexit  deal cost analysis. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

3 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

The logic is they’ve also published a no Brexit  deal cost analysis. 

It was hardly a ringing endorsement though....vote for my deal...its really shit...but look how bad no deal is.....

I realise that was the intention - but it has failed miserably. All it has done is raise the prospect of a second referendum as even the Labour party official line seems to be moving towards that....

Just now, Sweep said:

Its certainly what May wants I reckon

That is one theory. Seen a few political commentators musing as to what her end game is as nobody thinks this gets through.

Theories are:

Its all stage managed and she has a further concession from the EU in the bag already. Will lose the first vote and then come back with some minor change to parliament in January for a second vote and get it through with less opposition and the threat of no deal in the air even more.

She genuinely has bought about 80 Labour MPs and secretly is confident she can get it through. 

She knows she can't get it through and will use that as an excuse to walk and let someone else deal with it.

She doesn't know what to do.

Take your pick. First one sounds quite plausible to me. 

8 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

That is one theory. Seen a few political commentators musing as to what her end game is as nobody thinks this gets through.

Theories are:

Its all stage managed and she has a further concession from the EU in the bag already. Will lose the first vote and then come back with some minor change to parliament in January for a second vote and get it through with less opposition and the threat of no deal in the air even more.

She genuinely has bought about 80 Labour MPs and secretly is confident she can get it through. 

She knows she can't get it through and will use that as an excuse to walk and let someone else deal with it.

She doesn't know what to do.

Take your pick. First one sounds quite plausible to me. 

There could be some truth in the second commons vote theory.

However, a big defeat in the first vote might see her potted.