Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Ipswich v Bolton

gonzo

1 hour ago, Ani said:

If they are the highlights......

great save.  Where was the right back for sending off ? 

You can see where he is as the video picks it up.

Not ideal that Wilson was isolated one on one but Jackson is a striker, so a bit harsh on Olkowski if you’re looking to lay the main blame there

A harsh sending off for me given the angle and position he was at, but you can see why it’s given.

Hell of a save from Alnwick

1 hour ago, Ani said:

If they are the highlights......

great save.  Where was the right back for sending off ? 

I think Pawel and one other were caught flat footed by the run, because they'd stopped when the ball went out of play, but no throw in was given. 

35 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Lucky not to do concede a penalty and while Wilson’s attempts to make the challenge were genuine it’s still  a red fo me.

I can see why it was given, but for me the closest to a foul was just as they’ve turned because Wilson puts a hand on his shoulder, they’re about 40 yards out at that point, there’s then another 6 or 7 strides where Wilson is just running close to him and is no longer holding on to him by the point the lad just drops, at which point I think he thinks he’s in the box so will get the penalty.

I don’t think it’s a red, I can see why the ref gave it and it was unfortunate for Wilson who was playing well before then.

If we can settle the back 6 with Olkowski Wheater (who was very good as usual when he came on) Hobbs and Grounds (who is improving) and Lowe and Williams in front then I’m confident it’s a solid enough base to keep it relatively tight at the back and let the front 4 off the reins a bit.

Also a point to make that Oztumer didn’t get a fair shot at making a case yesterday, he looked tidy enough for the 1st half an hour but it was always going to be him sacrificed when Wilson was sent off. I’d like to see him given 3 or 4 starts to really get into some form and see what he can actually do.

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I can see why it was given, but for me the closest to a foul was just as they’ve turned because Wilson puts a hand on his shoulder, they’re about 40 yards out at that point, there’s then another 6 or 7 strides where Wilson is just running close to him and is no longer holding on to him by the point the lad just drops, at which point I think he thinks he’s in the box so will get the penalty.

I don’t think it’s a red, I can see why the ref gave it and it was unfortunate for Wilson who was playing well before then.

If we can settle the back 6 with Olkowski Wheater (who was very good as usual when he came on) Hobbs and Grounds (who is improving) and Lowe and Williams in front then I’m confident it’s a solid enough base to keep it relatively tight at the back and let the front 4 off the reins a bit.

Also a point to make that Oztumer didn’t get a fair shot at making a case yesterday, he looked tidy enough for the 1st half an hour but it was always going to be him sacrificed when Wilson was sent off. I’d like to see him given 3 or 4 starts to really get into some form and see what he can actually do.

Let’s see if we appeal the sending off even if we do I doubt it’ll get overturned.  I agree  that we seem to have a solid platform we’ve now got options and if we can sort out a winning formation at home think we will quite easily survive. 

37 minutes ago, Eddie said:

That’s what I saw. 

6 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Let’s see if we appeal the sending off even if we do I doubt it’ll get overturned.  I agree  that we seem to have a solid platform we’ve now got options and if we can sort out a winning formation at home think we will quite easily survive. 

Doesn't a failed appeal increase the length of the ban?

If it's just one game, I can see them just swallowing that pill and moving on. We have options in defence at the moment.

20 hours ago, jules_darby said:

You can see where he is as the video picks it up.

Not ideal that Wilson was isolated one on one but Jackson is a striker, so a bit harsh on Olkowski if you’re looking to lay the main blame there

A harsh sending off for me given the angle and position he was at, but you can see why it’s given.

Hell of a save from Alnwick

Not really blame Jules. I think the Pole has been outstanding since he got here but when a centre half is left isolated you have to ask why. 

Tough one as we need full backs to provide options. As you only see the ball being played through looks like we have three players very close together who get taken out by a simple ball. I was trying to understand what happened mention here that ball was out of play. 

13 hours ago, Ani said:

Not really blame Jules. I think the Pole has been outstanding since he got here but when a centre half is left isolated you have to ask why. 

Tough one as we need full backs to provide options. As you only see the ball being played through looks like we have three players very close together who get taken out by a simple ball. I was trying to understand what happened mention here that ball was out of play. 

Fair enough mate. I know you aren’t one for scapegoating

• The topic was unpinned