Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Is Our Transport Structure At Breaking Point ?

leigh white

In the mid 90s I used to drive into Manchester once a week via the m61. If I was on it before 7.30am, I was in the city for just gone 8am.

Set off at 7.30am now and I still wouldn't be on the M60 for 8.30am.

Last year with the Mancunian way down to 1 lane, the East Lancs persisting with the bus lane, the usual carnage on the trains and the mayor saying he couldn't do anything about it, it felt like they didnt want folk coming into the city.

Northern powerhouse my arse 

54 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Let’s wait and see shall we, the HS2 situation needs sorting first, I’d prefer the northern towns are better connected than spend billions shaving 20 minutes off trains to London. As an aside just has a look at the history of Leigh train stations and there were 2 one of which linked Leigh via Swinton to bury, our rail infrastructure was in a better shape 100 years ago, what a disaster it was to cut train lines and stations all those years ago. 

I'm sure @leigh white will correct me if I'm wrong given he probably helped to build them, but I think there were actually a lot more than 2 stations. I must admit I do always say we're in a weirdly fortunate situation that we have a variety of stations (and lines) that are all a relatively similar distance from us - paying £3 return for Tranmere away from Newton-le-Willows springs to mind - but obviously from a commuter point of view it would be huge to have a line to Manchester and/or Liverpool.

1 hour ago, Duck Egg said:

In the mid 90s I used to drive into Manchester once a week via the m61. If I was on it before 7.30am, I was in the city for just gone 8am.

Set off at 7.30am now and I still wouldn't be on the M60 for 8.30am.

Last year with the Mancunian way down to 1 lane, the East Lancs persisting with the bus lane, the usual carnage on the trains and the mayor saying he couldn't do anything about it, it felt like they didnt want folk coming into the city.

Northern powerhouse my arse 

Tfgm don’t seem to care, neither does Burnham ( what is the point of him?)

I won’t miss the battle to get into Manchester every day.

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I'm sure @leigh white will correct me if I'm wrong given he probably helped to build them, but I think there were actually a lot more than 2 stations. I must admit I do always say we're in a weirdly fortunate situation that we have a variety of stations (and lines) that are all a relatively similar distance from us - paying £3 return for Tranmere away from Newton-le-Willows springs to mind - but obviously from a commuter point of view it would be huge to have a line to Manchester and/or Liverpool.

4 stations, Atherleigh, Westleigh, Pennington and Leigh.

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

You!

Burnham isn't going anywhere yet I don't think.

Unlikely

I'll not miss it should I ever not go into Manchester every day.

I might work from home more often, but I'm not good if there's cricket on.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Unlikely

I'll not miss it should I ever not go into Manchester every day.

I might work from home more often, but I'm not good if there's cricket on.

Ah right. I read your comment of not missing going into Manchester as having managed a change of role.

I'm bloody glad I don't have to do it now. Was bad enough when I stopped 15 years ago.

39 minutes ago, Traf said:

Do you think they'll build a new station in Leigh, Mounts?

Leigh have already got two. They're called North Western and Wallgate. Leigh Blue will happily confirm this 😂

There must have been trouble in Wigan on mad friday as all the doors and windows at North Western were smashed by the time I got there yesterday morning.

Guided Bus was heaving today on the trip to Manc, full of dickheads at 12-35 from Leigh, most of the skanks sounded like Salforders, so i cant blame my own kind, got bus back and my bird was dying for a piss, so disembarked at Ellenbrook when she had a squat on the remote bus stop on the built up banking, only waited a few mins and a bus to Leigh came along.

27 minutes ago, leigh white said:

Guided Bus was heaving today on the trip to Manc, full of dickheads at 12-35 from Leigh, most of the skanks sounded like Salforders, so i cant blame my own kind, got bus back and my bird was dying for a piss, so disembarked at Ellenbrook when she had a squat on the remote bus stop on the built up banking, only waited a few mins and a bus to Leigh came along.

She sounds a keeper..... 👍

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, leigh white said:

I know there's a housing crisis but having a bus stop as a squat is a bit desperate 😊

2 hours ago, leigh white said:

Vimto spat everywhere you clown 😂😂😂😂😂