Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

UFOs

Smiley

Visited Rendlesham Forest yesterday. Did the UFO trail. Interesting stuff. Got home last night and watched a couple of short documentaries about the 1980 sightings. 
Seems pretty legit. 
Anyone else believe they are out there?

Edited by Smiley

6 minutes ago, Smiley said:

Visited Rendlesham Forest yesterday. Did the UFO trail. Interesting stuff. Got home last night and watched a couple of short documentaries about the 1980 sightings. 
Seems pretty legit. 

This post excites me.

Something very weird definitely happened in that forest, what's this trail about is it something you put together yourself?

35 minutes ago, Smiley said:

That's ace I wanna go!

Always been fascinated with this stuff, so many of the reports can be explained but it's those few that can't.

I remember when X-Files was at its most popular and everywhere seemed to want in on a story. Rivington had a few daft ones knocking about. Think there were doughnuts on a rope seen over there too at one stage, why Area 51 would send test flights over Horwich though I don't know.

3 hours ago, Smiley said:

Seems pretty legit. 

I can say, without fear of contradiction, that no beings from other planets have wasted their time visiting us.

Edited by Underpants

• Moderators

It's no coincidence that No one spots UFOs, or ghosts, anymore now plenty folk have decent definition cameras

Whilst there may be life out there, even if it's bacteria squirming on a rock, that if it considered itself intelligent enough to develop the capabilities to get here, they'd at least say hello rather than hovering about over one place for a few minutes then fucking off

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, ZicoKelly said:

It's no coincidence that No one spots UFOs, or ghosts, anymore now plenty folk have decent definition cameras

Whilst there may be life out there, even if it's bacteria squirming on a rock, that if it considered itself intelligent enough to develop the capabilities to get here, they'd at least say hello rather than hovering about over one place for a few minutes then fucking off

Or they visited China first, and thought fuck that, were not catching anything.

• Site Supporter
57 minutes ago, Underpants said:

I can say, without fear of contradiction, that no beings from other planets have wasted their time visiting us.

Indeed. It's pretty much a mathematical certainty that there is/has been/will be intelligent life elsewhere in the Universe, but they have never and almost certainly will never be able to visit us. The last episode of The Infinite Monkey Cage was about UFO's. It's worth a watch/listen for the bits in between Lucy Beaumont trying to be funny.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p081swwr

Edited by Cheese

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

Indeed. It's a mathematical certainty that there is intelligent life elsewhere in the Universe, but they have never and almost certainly will never be able to visit us. The last episode of The Infinite Monkey Cage was about UFO's. It's worth a listen for some light entertainment.

Funny enough I listened to it last night.

If they know about us, and can visit us, then why haven't they made themselves known? On a smaller but similar scale, we discovered and conquered the globe just because we could.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Indeed. It's pretty much a mathematical certainty that there is intelligent life elsewhere in the Universe, but they have never and almost certainly will never be able to visit us. The last episode of The Infinite Monkey Cage was about UFO's. It's worth a watch/listen for some light entertainment.

Yeah but on the other hand when you look at the series of random events that led to life on this planet and what is required to develop and sustain life to the point of intelligence, you could say it's highly unlikely

What's pretty certain is that two biological life forms from different planets will ever meet

Unless there's two planets out there in some planetary system in close proximity harbouring life capable of building a rocket

Not that we will ever know

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, ZicoKelly said:

Yeah but on the other hand when you look at the series of random events that led to life on this planet and what is required to develop and sustain life to the point of intelligence, you could say it's highly unlikely

What's pretty certain is that two biological life forms from different planets will ever meet

Unless there's two planets out there in some planetary system in close proximity harbouring life capable of building a rocket

Not that we will ever know

The number of stars in the OBSERVABLE universe alone is so unfathomably vast, that I would say the opposite is true.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Cheese said:

The number of stars in the OBSERVABLE universe alone is so unfathomably vast, that I would say the opposite is true.

Its an argument neither of us are capable of "winning" 

We will basically never find out, not in our lifetime anyway

Which ironically makes it a question of faith

Go with what you believe

This is a good mind bending read about it all

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1781256810/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_9jzvEb41ZT4PS

• Members

My mam and dad did a tour of America and one of the excursions whilst they were in New Mexico was a trip to Roswell. 

They said it was shite, full of shit shops selling tat and a McDonald’s shaped like a spaceship.

I'm less convinced that there's intelligent life elsewhere than I was 10 or 15 years ago. With the technology we have and the length of time we've been looking for something - we should have spotted something by now. If there was anything to spot.

It could be that the odds against intelligent life developing are so infinitesimally small that we're it. Or at least we're the first one to have reached a point of technological advancement to produce radio waves in our galaxy.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I'm less convinced that there's intelligent life elsewhere than I was 10 or 15 years ago. With the technology we have and the length of time we've been looking for something - we should have spotted something by now. If there was anything to spot.

It could be that the odds against intelligent life developing are so infinitesimally small that we're it. Or at least we're the first one to have reached a point of technological advancement to produce radio waves in our galaxy.

Plenty might have beaten us to it. But we're still waiting for their signals to reach us.

Dinosaurs may have been strutting their stuff when the first hello was sent out.

That's a thought!

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, kent_white said:

No way. It takes years just to scan a pin-pricks' worth of space from Earth, and that's to a limited distance. There are hundreds of billions of stars in the OBSERVABLE Universe alone, each with God-knows how many planets orbitting them. We'll probably be extinct before we have chance to find anything, but it's almost certainly out there.

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Also quite plausible intelligent life came and went extinct somewhere else long before we came along

And it may come along again somewhere else long after we're gone

If we had an inkling that somewhere out there did have life we would have to send AI out there to look, we've already sent shuttles in the direction of some places where we think something might be going on

If something ever does receive our messages and is able to come and check us out human life will probably be long gone by then

Everything we can see now is already millions of years old, something like that

I think the nearest star is something like 40,000 years away with current technology

It will no doubt change in time but biological life won't allow anything to find out

Anything else is currently science fiction and as plausible as the bible

Because something surely had to exist to have caused the big bang

I think we're in a Russian stacking doll type hadron collider of universes

And the next one is currently expanding underground near Geneva

And in that one, Bolton are still shit