Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Diego Maradona

bolty58

It was a great insight, I thoroughly enjoyed it , I kind of felt slightly sorry for him at the end , until I remembered what a cheating little anti - English bastard he is.

He was a great player though , fuck me those keepy ups with the back of his foot were something else.

Edited by dusan nikolic
Forgot something.

1 hour ago, Breightmet Boy said:

No respect at all, didn't watch it.  I've been to two England matches vs Argentina and happy to say we won both  and because I know how much he hates us, it made them so special :)

I don’t think he does really. 

Anyway documentary was superb. I knew Napoli ended up being hard work but that continuous footage looked unbearable as @DazBob mentions. I think I’d of been on the marching powder long before him. 

He dragged two very poor teams to greatness and clearly played in a different (better imo though he may disagree) times than today’s softies. 

I think it’s a shame they didn’t let him go in 89 as I think he’d achieved what he set out.  I also wonder what would of happened if he’d ended up at Sheff u instead of Sabella. Hand of God may never of happened etc. 

I was a big fan of the the press are pancakes song and the bit with his naked pin up picture as a beast.

• Members
10 hours ago, anewman said:

You back in the UK pal?

No J. Kodi box catch up special I am afraid. Will catch up for a pint when I can mate. Not looking like I'll be able to travel this year but should be living back home for 4-5 weeks a year after mid 2021.

• Members
10 hours ago, tomski said:

I don’t think he does really. 

Anyway documentary was superb. I knew Napoli ended up being hard work but that continuous footage looked unbearable as @DazBob mentions. I think I’d of been on the marching powder long before him. 

He dragged two very poor teams to greatness and clearly played in a different (better imo though he may disagree) times than today’s softies. 

I think it’s a shame they didn’t let him go in 89 as I think he’d achieved what he set out.  I also wonder what would of happened if he’d ended up at Sheff u instead of Sabella. Hand of God may never of happened etc. 

I was a big fan of the the press are pancakes song and the bit with his naked pin up picture as a beast.

Met Pele at Bromwich Street. Still reckon Maradona is the greatest I have ever seen, flawed genius and cheat though he is.

Family ties from that part of the world made the Napoli footage even more compelling for me. I know I have put on here in the past but the favourite cousin first took me to the Fuorigrotta in June 1977. Stadium doors all open, grass about a foot high, no pitch markings and hardly a soul about inside.

Outside on that road that goes around the stadium, Fiat 500's with rooves rolled back, Piaggio and Lambro three wheelers etc. all crammed with mad fuckers waving Napoli flags and chanting. 6-8 weeks before the season started. I consider myself an absolute football fanatic as I am sure most on here do. This lot take it to a different level.

The northern powerhouses hated Napoli because the little scudetto's you have the right to wear as the previous seasons champions were printed all over Napoli flags. Loads of em and yet they had never won it until the little maestro arrived. "Campione del Sud' they all said underneath (Champions of the South). Used to drive the Milanese and Torinese fucking mental that did :D

Their superstar striker at the time was a bloke called Beppe Savoldi. Worshipped. He turned up at a nightclub in Maiori (not far from Amalfi) called The Afrikaaner one night when I was there with one of the missus' playboy uncles. He had a youngster in tow who had just been signed by Napoli called Carmine Capone (which is why I remembered the name!). They were absolutely mobbed and fucked off after a short while because they were being pestered to fuck with folk clawing at them etc.

Edited by bolty58

That’s an ace story. As you say Italians are far more fanatical than we (English) will ever be. If I remember rightly it was a major factor in players moving from Serie A to the Premier league in the 90s. 

Fair play on meeting Pele! A nice claim to fame and especially in B town. Who knows  what would of happened if he was up for taking the top job at Burnden haha.

I haven’t seen enough footage of Pele to compare to Maradona. No doubt a classy player but huge kudos to Maradona for doing it in the best league (at the time) and national team. 

• Members
5 minutes ago, tomski said:

That’s an ace story. As you say Italians are far more fanatical than we (English) will ever be. If I remember rightly it was a major factor in players moving from Serie A to the Premier league in the 90s. 

Fair play on meeting Pele! A nice claim to fame and especially in B town. Who knows  what would of happened if he was up for taking the top job at Burnden haha.

I haven’t seen enough footage of Pele to compare to Maradona. No doubt a classy player but huge kudos to Maradona for doing it in the best league (at the time) and national team. 

There's many more than me met Pele in Bolton mate. I think every fucking school in Bolton had a trip down to Bromwich Street to see them train. Remember Gilmar the keeper and Garrincha. Strugging after that? Jairzinho? May just remember him from Mexico '70.

I got the autograph of the great man and lost it within a day. Sure my old man flogged it down at the Eagle & Vulcan for beer money!

As you say, what Maradona did with struggling clubs was phenomenal. Other than New York Cosmos, did Pele ever play for anyone other than Santos. (mental note - use Google you lazy bastard).

56 minutes ago, tomski said:

Reading (another) ultras book called 1312 that's just come out and it really brings home how different UK supporters are to virtually everywhere else in Europe.

The ultra groups aren't just fanatical about their teams it goes far deeper than that into local communities and politics but also when organising responses to crisis. Been a few reacting to Coronavirus and a big response from ultra groups in Croatia to the earthquake at weekend.

Bar groups at say Palace or Celtic that are ridiculed by anyone but themselves we just do things differently it's strange.

2 hours ago, bolty58 said:

There's many more than me met Pele in Bolton mate. I think every fucking school in Bolton had a trip down to Bromwich Street to see them train. Remember Gilmar the keeper and Garrincha. Strugging after that? Jairzinho? May just remember him from Mexico '70.

I got the autograph of the great man and lost it within a day. Sure my old man flogged it down at the Eagle & Vulcan for beer money!

As you say, what Maradona did with struggling clubs was phenomenal. Other than New York Cosmos, did Pele ever play for anyone other than Santos. (mental note - use Google you lazy bastard).

I’ll see if my dad ever met him. On another note I met Eusebio at a Benfica match. He looked scared but I’ll take that ha. Yeah just Santos of note and cosmos I think.

1 hour ago, Marc505 said:

Reading (another) ultras book called 1312 that's just come out and it really brings home how different UK supporters are to virtually everywhere else in Europe.

The ultra groups aren't just fanatical about their teams it goes far deeper than that into local communities and politics but also when organising responses to crisis. Been a few reacting to Coronavirus and a big response from ultra groups in Croatia to the earthquake at weekend.

Bar groups at say Palace or Celtic that are ridiculed by anyone but themselves we just do things differently it's strange.

It would be nice if a bigger link with the town/community could be established. There will be links for lots of us but plenty without so much. 

I much prefer how we celebrate goals than say the Germans but you can’t beat a massive Italian game when they zoom in and they are going mental imo. I think Turkey May be the maddest.

• Members

I saw Maradona across the room at city many moons ago. I was in awe at the cheating little cunt, he was talking to Liam Gallagher, the egoness in that conversation must have been through the roof

1 minute ago, Rudy’s Message said:

I saw Maradona across the room at city many moons ago. I was in awe at the cheating little cunt, he was talking to Liam Gallagher, the egoness in that conversation must have been through the roof

Haha Self appreciation wouldn’t have a ceiling in that convo. I bet Liam told Maradona he could of played for Man City and Maradona told Liam he could of been lead singer of el oasis

• Members
1 minute ago, tomski said:

Haha Self appreciation wouldn’t have a ceiling in that convo. I bet Liam told Maradona he could of played for Man City and Maradona told Liam he could of been lead singer of el oasis

1 hour ago, tomski said:

It would be nice if a bigger link with the town/community could be established. There will be links for lots of us but plenty without so much. 

I much prefer how we celebrate goals than say the Germans but you can’t beat a massive Italian game when they zoom in and they are going mental imo. I think Turkey May be the maddest.

Agreed there's something strangely reserved about how crowds celebrate goals in Germany, there's a bit of a roar then back to the continuous singing. No crazy scenes in most cases.

Crowds I've been in Italian games do go mad and they lose their minds at the slightest thing for ages. I still maintain an away end over here when a big goal goes in takes some beating though. Just CBA with the new trend of really trying to overdo it on the "limbs" thing dragging people down steps etc just cos it looks mad on Twitter.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Marc505 said:

Agreed there's something strangely reserved about how crowds celebrate goals in Germany, there's a bit of a roar then back to the continuous singing. No crazy scenes in most cases.

Crowds I've been in Italian games do go mad and they lose their minds at the slightest thing for ages. I still maintain an away end over here when a big goal goes in takes some beating though. Just CBA with the new trend of really trying to overdo it on the "limbs" thing dragging people down steps etc just cos it looks mad on Twitter.

That's the thing though, it's all staged & doesn't feel spontaneous.

Try recreating the scenes when Wheater scored at Port Vale, or even Wildschut at Albion...

Fucking amazing moments that'll last forever with us.