Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Trouble on the terraces


BoltonBoy80

Recommended Posts

  • Site Supporter

Woke up early and bored so here is the story of the first time I found out football violence existed, maybe one or two olpder lads will add to the details. I would have been 8 or 9 years old which would have made it around 1965 ,66 ish the game was against Blackburn and was significant because it had been moved from tplhe usual 3 o'clock ko to Saturday evening (very unusual back in the day)this was done because the match clashed with HolcombeHunt races held in fields near Harwood golf club, where I went in the afternoon with my parents and younger sister. At night my dad was taking me to the game and during the previous week he had shown me a letter sent to the Evening News reputedly from rovers fans who used to be leather clad greasers threatening wanderers fans with a good hiding on the night,my old man wouldn't have been into any of that stuff but I remember him commenting that he didn't think the rovers lot had been very clever offering this challenge.My memory then as a kid makes me think he was spot on because all I can picture walking down Manchester Rd was hundreds of skinheads clad in Harrington jackets and doc Martin's waiting for the arrival of the Blackburn it felt really edgy even though I'd never experienced anything like it before never saw any actual scrapping but was glad I was Bolton and with my dad .😎

an

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Good Knee said:

Woke up early and bored so here is the story of the first time I found out football violence existed, maybe one or two olpder lads will add to the details. I would have been 8 or 9 years old which would have made it around 1965 ,66 ish the game was against Blackburn and was significant because it had been moved from tplhe usual 3 o'clock ko to Saturday evening (very unusual back in the day)this was done because the match clashed with HolcombeHunt races held in fields near Harwood golf club, where I went in the afternoon with my parents and younger sister. At night my dad was taking me to the game and during the previous week he had shown me a letter sent to the Evening News reputedly from rovers fans who used to be leather clad greasers threatening wanderers fans with a good hiding on the night,my old man wouldn't have been into any of that stuff but I remember him commenting that he didn't think the rovers lot had been very clever offering this challenge.My memory then as a kid makes me think he was spot on because all I can picture walking down Manchester Rd was hundreds of skinheads clad in Harrington jackets and doc Martin's waiting for the arrival of the Blackburn it felt really edgy even though I'd never experienced anything like it before never saw any actual scrapping but was glad I was Bolton and with my dad .😎

an

It would've been the Easter Monday match V Blackburn in March 70.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, leigh white said:

It would've been the Easter Monday match V Blackburn in March 70.

It could have been 1967 also an easter game.

The season after they brought mob of greasers who got ambushed on Trinity st &  got a right pasting one of theirs got 'spannered' blood everywhere.

After the game my mate & me were in the wrong place at the wrong time & got a bit of a kicking off them just  near Bradshawgate they were after any sort of revenge .

Their 'leader' recieved a jail sentence later that year for throwing acid at Blackpool fans.

A couple of years ago he was on telly representing Blackburn in the televised cup draw .He still looked like the smelly greaser he always has been.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

It could have been 1967 also an easter game.

The season after they brought mob of greasers who got ambushed on Trinity st &  got a right pasting one of theirs got 'spannered' blood everywhere.

After the game my mate & me were in the wrong place at the wrong time & got a bit of a kicking off them just  near Bradshawgate they were after any sort of revenge .

Their 'leader' recieved a jail sentence later that year for throwing acid at Blackpool fans.

A couple of years ago he was on telly representing Blackburn in the televised cup draw .He still looked like the smelly greaser he always has been.

Did Blackburn actually have a firm in the 60s then? They don't ever appear to have had much of one at any time since!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

It could have been 1967 also an easter game.

The season after they brought mob of greasers who got ambushed on Trinity st &  got a right pasting one of theirs got 'spannered' blood everywhere.

After the game my mate & me were in the wrong place at the wrong time & got a bit of a kicking off them just  near Bradshawgate they were after any sort of revenge .

Their 'leader' recieved a jail sentence later that year for throwing acid at Blackpool fans.

A couple of years ago he was on telly representing Blackburn in the televised cup draw .He still looked like the smelly greaser he always has been.

Sounds more likely if it coincides with the races 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
1 hour ago, leigh white said:

Skins and Harrington's only appeared on the scene about 69, Portsmouth had a big write up in the Sunday papers on the first game of the season away to B/Pool when the Pompey Boot Boys hit the seaside resort.

I know where your coming from perhaps my description of them being "skins" was a figment of my young imagination but I was definitely no older than 10 (1967) and the Bolton lads were booted up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1967 the predominant non greaser garb was combat jackets usually with stuff scrawled across the back ie BWFC & boots of any desription.Their was a fad  of scarf nicking the idea being to aquire a good selection which were tied to the heppeletes of the combat jacket at each side .These were trophies of battle (allegedly) .Remember playing Forest away about that time as we were driving near to the gound we could see a large guy with so many scarves on each side of his jacket he could hardly walk .Suddenly out of nowhere two lads jumped him poor bugger could hardly move & they gave him a good doing over .How we laughed didnt recognise the lads as ours but heyho quite amusing at the time.

The fashion changed quite quickly two years later not a combat jacket in sight.My mother was a bit put out as she"d only just finished paying for mine through her clothes 'club'.

Edited by Take Hunt Off
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
6 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Did Blackburn actually have a firm in the 60s then? They don't ever appear to have had much of one at any time since!! 

There’s a piece in the Blackburn hoolie book about their greasers.

Bolton got a booting on the Darwen end around 68 but the following year was the first time that the Darwen end got took by another crew.

Bolton were really mobbed up, all Levi’s & Docs, and the Blackburn nebs got a proper kicking. 

They’ve never really had a decent firm since then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Steejay said:

There’s a piece in the Blackburn hoolie book about their greasers.

Bolton got a booting on the Darwen end around 68 but the following year was the first time that the Darwen end got took by another crew.

Bolton were really mobbed up, all Levi’s & Docs, and the Blackburn nebs got a proper kicking. 

They’ve never really had a decent firm since then.

They only get a decent firm watching their sisters undress 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Steejay said:

There’s a piece in the Blackburn hoolie book about their greasers.

Bolton got a booting on the Darwen end around 68 but the following year was the first time that the Darwen end got took by another crew.

Bolton were really mobbed up, all Levi’s & Docs, and the Blackburn nebs got a proper kicking. 

They’ve never really had a decent firm since then.

Good little history lesson, thanks. I'd guessed a much from what I'd seen and read. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know from "the elders " that B/burn were supposed to have had a bit of a mob in the 60's (as TKO says, all greaser biker types, while Bolton were much more mods/skinheads ) & I think went on the Lever End once & also had a good go at Millwall,

but.....that game at B/burn around '70 changed it all with Bolton marching round the town centre from early on then chasing & pasting them all round the ground - you could still go round 3 sides then - & around  the same time, they got a pasting at Bolton ( there were some pictures of the trouble in the Evening News ).

After that , there was nothing to be seen of B/burn again, home or away, until there was segregation & escorts.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

I know from "the elders " that B/burn were supposed to have had a bit of a mob in the 60's (as TKO says, all greaser biker types, while Bolton were much more mods/skinheads ) & I think went on the Lever End once & also had a good go at Millwall,

but.....that game at B/burn around '70 changed it all with Bolton marching round the town centre from early on then chasing & pasting them all round the ground - you could still go round 3 sides then - & around  the same time, they got a pasting at Bolton ( there were some pictures of the trouble in the Evening News ).

After that , there was nothing to be seen of B/burn again, home or away, until there was segregation & escorts.  

I remember their winger, John Connelly, signing autographs outside the ground as one of our lot was spray painting ’ Bolton Agro’ on the wall about 5 yards away. 😁

Edited by Steejay
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Smiling remembering them horrible cunts Blackburn had. Greasy hair, leather jackets and steel toe caps. A few good run ins with them but once the skinhead era dawned they disappeared after a couple of proper pastings. Must have been around '69 or '70 on the Burnden car park where they got a real come uppance. Good Knee will probably remember a similar showdown with Huddersfield in the same place which ended up with our kid in court. Got off on a 'mistaken identity' ruling :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
3 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Smiling remembering them horrible cunts Blackburn had. Greasy hair, leather jackets and steel toe caps. A few good run ins with them but once the skinhead era dawned they disappeared after a couple of proper pastings. Must have been around '69 or '70 on the Burnden car park where they got a real come uppance. Good Knee will probably remember a similar showdown with Huddersfield in the same place which ended up with our kid in court. Got off on a 'mistaken identity' ruling :D

Indeed I do remember very well mate ,your kid was a rum in back in the day and that's putting it mildly 😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
15 hours ago, Good Knee said:

Indeed I do remember very well mate ,your kid was a rum in back in the day and that's putting it mildly 😎

He hasn't changed C. Terrorising the good folk of the Blue Mountains in NSW. Has purposely talked with a broad Bolton/Lancashire accent ever since he got here (far broader than when he was in Bolton!) just to be difficult :D

Still out singing 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' at the top of his lungs at 6am every fucking morning with a Tooheys New stubby in his hand (as I have found out to my cost when trying to sleep during visits!). You will recall the hit and run incident outside the Swan and the subsequent run in with fairground gyppo's whilst he was still on crutches :rofl:

He's had a few similar occurrences over here. Was with the Bolton missus (not the new Aussie one) in a near deserted nightclub on the Parramatta Road. Them two having a bit of a dance and one single solitary bloke at the bar sipping a beer and not bothering anyone. A gang of around ten blokes come steaming down the stairs, knock this bloke off his bar stool and proceed to kick the living daylights out of him. D goes wading in shouting words to the effect of "I'm not having this - ten on to one" Hospitalised.

On his Katana on the M3 waiting to go through some traffic lights at a right turn towards Sydney. A 'curtain liner' truck pulls up along side him with a loose strap which he didn't notice. It somehow got tangled with the bike so when the lights turned green for the truck he got dragged under the truck and the driver didn't realise until his back axles ran over the bike. Luckily he had been dislodged from the bike shortly after being dragged 10 metres or so and having all of the bark removed from nearly head to toe down the entire right side of his body. Hospitalised.

I could probably type for twenty five minutes about his 'exploits' over here. I think you'll have got the picture that he hasn't changed.

Folk wonder why I tell them that Bolton folk (particulary from a certain era) bring an entirely new meaning to the word 'mad'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
1 hour ago, bolty58 said:

He hasn't changed C. Terrorising the good folk of the Blue Mountains in NSW. Has purposely talked with a broad Bolton/Lancashire accent ever since he got here (far broader than when he was in Bolton!) just to be difficult :D

Still out singing 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' at the top of his lungs at 6am every fucking morning with a Tooheys New stubby in his hand (as I have found out to my cost when trying to sleep during visits!). You will recall the hit and run incident outside the Swan and the subsequent run in with fairground gyppo's whilst he was still on crutches :rofl:

He's had a few similar occurrences over here. Was with the Bolton missus (not the new Aussie one) in a near deserted nightclub on the Parramatta Road. Them two having a bit of a dance and one single solitary bloke at the bar sipping a beer and not bothering anyone. A gang of around ten blokes come steaming down the stairs, knock this bloke off his bar stool and proceed to kick the living daylights out of him. D goes wading in shouting words to the effect of "I'm not having this - ten on to one" Hospitalised.

On his Katana on the M3 waiting to go through some traffic lights at a right turn towards Sydney. A 'curtain liner' truck pulls up along side him with a loose strap which he didn't notice. It somehow got tangled with the bike so when the lights turned green for the truck he got dragged under the truck and the driver didn't realise until his back axles ran over the bike. Luckily he had been dislodged from the bike shortly after being dragged 10 metres or so and having all of the bark removed from nearly head to toe down the entire right side of his body. Hospitalised.

I could probably type for twenty five minutes about his 'exploits' over here. I think you'll have got the picture that he hasn't changed.

Folk wonder why I tell them that Bolton folk (particulary from a certain era) bring an entirely new meaning to the word 'mad'.

Haha great stories pal, why would we want to change him ? Remember him fancying a fit local girl (JG) she was seeing an older lad proper hard mon we were kids but he decided to have a pop at this bloke on Moor Lane after Sunday neet Palais. I tried my best to make him see sense,watch my back he said and steamed in luckily we both weren't hospitalised. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.