Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bradford Home 27th Oct

desperado

Nakata certainly was phoning it in the last 6 months of his career:

"When Nakata announced his retirement at the age of 29 after the final match of Japan’s World Cup in 2006 against Croatia, in which the three-time Ballon d’Or nominee had been named man of the match, the world was stunned.

“I decided half a year ago that I would retire from the world of professional football,” Nakata wrote, before later admitting: “Day after day I realised that football had just become a big business. I could feel that the team were playing just for money and not for the sake of having fun. I always felt that a team was like a big family, but it stopped being like that. I was sad, that’s why I stopped.”"

16 hours ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

Cox seems to split opinion massively with our fanbase. Was my favourite player after Tommo and Blakey left, and seem to remember him being really good. I was however 10 years old when he left.

I’ve read some saying he’s up there with our best right backs in recent times, yet I’m sure I’ve seen him take a few slaggings online so perhaps he wasn’t great. 

Elliott I think was steady, though injury prone and overall didn’t live up to the hype. I don’t recall being too disappointed when he went back to Newcastle. I was however surprised they wanted him. 

I agree with your take on those 2.  I really rated Cox, great competitor and attitude and good attacking full back.  Elliott won me over a bit because he was very combative, but when we signed him I thought he was going to be ace, he was our record signing at £2.5mil when we moved to the Reebok and I was expecting him to be a marauding, overlapping fullback.  But he was just a fairly solid, tough defender that lacked pace and guile.  Couldn't lace the boots of Gardner.

9 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Elliott & cox big money at the time for us 

charlton cost naff all kept fit and put a good shift in, in terms of value he’s one of best the clubs made 

Agreed, absolute class servant to BWFC.  Another of the understated/cheap players I loved watched was the always immaculate Anthony Barness.  Never seemed to put a foot wrong, very underrated.

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, jimmyjoojar said:

Mike Whitlow, who spent almost his entire career as a LB was a collosus for a period at Centre Back.

Under-rated IMO

Whitlow seemed to have almost perfected the ruse of tripping up just behind the opposing winger, catching him on the leg and bringing both down in a heap.

• Site Supporter

I don't know if it's been mentioned above, but I thought Ronan Darcy had a good game when he came on. Didn't go rushing up to shoot or try to make a name for himself. The couple of runs up to the corner flag were very effective in holding the play up. He took a booking for the team too.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Francis Fogarty said:

I don't know if it's been mentioned above, but I thought Ronan Darcy had a good game when he came on. Didn't go rushing up to shoot or try to make a name for himself. The couple of runs up to the corner flag were very effective in holding the play up. He took a booking for the team too.

What was this yellow worthy "shithousery"?

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Popeye doyle said:

In the short time Vincent Candela was at the club he looked a tidy left back.

5 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Shining light that fella.

He was an annoying fucker. Got right on my wick.

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I loved watched was the always immaculate Anthony Barness.  Never seemed to put a foot wrong, very underrated.

He was rated by those that know football. A classy player imo. I could have dreamt it, but didn’t  he do a career ending backpass somewhere? Harsh if so.

4 hours ago, Francis Fogarty said:

Funny how we can see incidents differently.  I thought his attempts to maintain possession in the corners were useless!  For all his qualities, shielding the ball isnt one of them, and on both occasions he just coughed up possession as quick as if he'd just booted the ball into row Z.  If he'd been playing his normal game he would have retained possession and probably wasted more time by passing to a team mate.  On the first break there was a great chance to get Delfouneso in.  I'd rather we'd seen what he can do with the ball on his rare appearance.

• Members
3 minutes ago, Traf said:

I think on Darcy's first run to the corner, he looked up an saw Crawford completely free in the centre and decided it'd be more effective going towards the flag than letting Crawford give them another goal kick.

😂😂 you bastard