Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Shite couriers

Rudy

• Site Supporter

DPD delivered me a TV, a big fucker. (Alright, I thought my previous one was 52” so thought 65” wasn’t such a big jump. On reflection, maybe I could’ve measured the 42” telly we used to have)

Anyway, we were texted every stop between distribution depot, local (to them) hub, local (to me) hub, final delivery van so we knew to within an hour when it was going to land.

Why the fuck did they decide to send it on a single-man delivery van? I know @barryk32doesnt do single working, what makes DPD think I’d be able to help him bring it in? As it happens, I could but what if he was delivering to a really old fucker instead of just an old fucker?

• Members
16 minutes ago, MickyD said:

DPD delivered me a TV, a big fucker. (Alright, I thought my previous one was 52” so thought 65” wasn’t such a big jump. On reflection, maybe I could’ve measured the 42” telly we used to have)

Anyway, we were texted every stop between distribution depot, local (to them) hub, local (to me) hub, final delivery van so we knew to within an hour when it was going to land.

Why the fuck did they decide to send it on a single-man delivery van? I know @barryk32doesnt do single working, what makes DPD think I’d be able to help him bring it in? As it happens, I could but what if he was delivering to a really old fucker instead of just an old fucker?

DX would have chucked it in the recycling bin

We send most of our stuff out with YODEL and while you do get some issues they are a lot cheaper than others, the tech is easy to integrate, and the majority of stuff is delivered when it should be.

I don't make the call of who we use but in the past 2/3 years things seem to have become a lot less competitive, before that we switched couriers quite a bit but think we've only considered it once it the past 12 months.

From a customer point of view I've had issues with multiple couriers so I tend to view them all as hit and miss.

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Because, and I get this all the time, couriers are one man operations. 75% of everything they deliver are small and easy to transport. The other 25% fall between being cumbersome or 2 man lifts. If you order from AO, Argos, Curry etc. . and they deliver it then it will be more than likely a two man operation. Couriers aren't going to send 2 people out all day for just one delivery. Anyway, Ive delivered big TVs. Never had a problem getting one to a front door yet. 99% of customers are more than willing to help if its too big.

As for folk who are unable to help. Old, disabled and suchlike. I cross that bridge when I get to it. Electric mobility scooters. You know that there's a good chance the cust won't be in a position to help. I still get it off.

Ffs, talk about folk wanting their arses wiping. Man up or pay up for the extra man.

Edited by Underpants

A

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

I must add. To be fair to the customer on the receiving end this isn't of their making. As I pointed out in a previous reply. A lot of problems are caused by the sender. So if the sender is sending something big then they are going to send it the cheapest way. They do not care how it gets off at the other end. Also the courier company itself should flag large/heavy items and not collect unless there is a way of unloading safely. I deal mostly with business' so manpower and folk lifts are at the other end. Private address' are different. And the courier company isn't going to turn away custom. But as far as I'm concerned TVs are rarely a problem to get to a front door.

10 hours ago, ErnestTurnip said:

We have the same driver in a YODEL 7.5 tonner same time every day, only ever seen a non-liveried vehicle if they have to come for extra. Dunno if we've got that in our contract or if it's volume or whatever.

I know with Hermes if you send over a certain amount they send a Hermes van/truck, smaller collections are done by the local courier or I drop them off at the co-op.

• Site Supporter
21 hours ago, Underpants said:

A

I must add. To be fair to the customer on the receiving end this isn't of their making. As I pointed out in a previous reply. A lot of problems are caused by the sender. So if the sender is sending something big then they are going to send it the cheapest way. They do not care how it gets off at the other end. Also the courier company itself should flag large/heavy items and not collect unless there is a way of unloading safely. I deal mostly with business' so manpower and folk lifts are at the other end. Private address' are different. And the courier company isn't going to turn away custom. But as far as I'm concerned TVs are rarely a problem to get to a front door.

22 hours ago, Underpants said:

Ffs, talk about folk wanting their arses wiping. Man up or pay up for the extra man.

So it’s my fault  for not getting the right level of couriering despite not being in charge of my TV’s destiny from ordering to delivery? Oh no, once you blamed me you kind of retracted by saying it’s the distributer’s fault.

10 hours ago, MickyD said:

So it’s my fault  for not getting the right level of couriering despite not being in charge of my TV’s destiny from ordering to delivery? Oh no, once you blamed me you kind of retracted by saying it’s the distributer’s fault.

Blame you? How did you come to that conclusion? What grinded my gears was that you were suprised that the couriers hadn't sent 2 people. It's aTV ffs not a double bed. Where I work there must be 50 drivers and I bet all will have a TV, or something else just as awkward on their vehicle. In your world 50 employees suddenly turn in to 100 employees. Any courier worth his salt could shift a TV on his own. For someone who would carry a 18 stone dead weight down a ladder I found your moan a little strange.

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Blame you? How did you come to that conclusion? What grinded my gears was that you were suprised that the couriers hadn't sent 2 people. It's aTV ffs not a double bed. Where I work there must be 50 drivers and I bet all will have a TV, or something else just as awkward on their vehicle. In your world 50 employees suddenly turn in to 100 employees. Any courier worth his salt could shift a TV on his own. For someone who would carry a 18 stone dead weight down a ladder I found your moan a little strange.

The bit that led me to that conclusion was:

On 06/12/2020 at 10:18, Underpants said:

I don’t want “50 employees to become 100 employees” I want all the couriers doing small to medium parcel runs to do what they do and I’d expect a parcel that requires two people to put a parcel into a van would need two people to get it out.

One van doubled up on crew could do all the big parcels with not a right lot of logistical change.

edit - By the way, Ground your gears, not grinded!

Edited by MickyD
Grinded? Come on!

4 minutes ago, MickyD said:

The bit that led me to that conclusion was:

I don’t want “50 employees to become 100 employees” I want all the couriers doing small to medium parcel runs to do what they do and I’d expect a parcel that requires two people to put a parcel into a van would need two people to get it out.

One van doubled up on crew could do all the big parcels with not a right lot of logistical change.

Every driver goes out every day with tvs, flat pack wardrobe and other awkward items. Unless the customer is out they don't come back with anything.

Next time you have problem moving your washing machine give me a bell.

@Underpantsthe UPS bl6 bloke... Was expecting a box being dropped off for me to pack up my work IT gear and have it ready for collection tomorrow but had nowt all day. 

Is he likely to turn up expecting a load of shit IT equipment tomorrow? 

It's probably senders error. I can't get on to the emails now to see if there's been an update as it was sent to my work email that wasn't able to be forwarded on 🙃

I have a regular drop from DPD every Monday. I get an e-mail and text before 7am detailing a one hour slot, which is virtually guaranteed.

Ordered some books from W'stones and Royal Mail gave me a 4 hour slot 7.59am to 11.59am. And at 3pm they arrived.

Also ordered some GF pies from a Yorkshire farm. APC Overnight gave a 2 hour slot between 9.58 and 11.58am. They arrived at 8.02am.

28 minutes ago, stevieb said:

@Underpantsthe UPS bl6 bloke... Was expecting a box being dropped off for me to pack up my work IT gear and have it ready for collection tomorrow but had nowt all day. 

Is he likely to turn up expecting a load of shit IT equipment tomorrow? 

It's probably senders error. I can't get on to the emails now to see if there's been an update as it was sent to my work email that wasn't able to be forwarded on 🙃

Knowing the driver as I do. If it was on his van he would have delivered it. I would be very suprised if he knows about any collection from the same address a day in advance.

Are you BL6 4/5/6 or 7

2 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Knowing the driver as I do. If it was on his van he would have delivered it. I would be very suprised if he knows about any collection from the same address a day in advance.

Are you BL6 4/5/6 or 7

Bl6 6

26 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

I have a regular drop from DPD every Monday. I get an e-mail and text before 7am detailing a one hour slot, which is virtually guaranteed.

Ordered some books from W'stones and Royal Mail gave me a 4 hour slot 7.59am to 11.59am. And at 3pm they arrived.

Also ordered some GF pies from a Yorkshire farm. APC Overnight gave a 2 hour slot between 9.58 and 11.58am. They arrived at 8.02am.

I'm absolutely amazed DPD can do this. My route can change with the wind as the day goes on.