Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

St. Georges Day

Happy Wanderer

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Must admit, it's jingoism in the extreme to believe that being white, British, Lancastrian and Boltonian is anything more than the luck of the draw.

That's fine for a little slogan on a t-shirt or something but to actually think it to be true. Nah!

If this was doncasterroversways, or similar, we'd doubtless be saying exactly the same but it'd be white, South Yorkshireist and from Donny who we'd regard as the pinnacle of civilisation. 

In the past Micky, most of the older posters on here were Boltonians born and bred. Most families didn’t really move away from Lancashire, they had no need or desire to.

Work was plentiful in the mills etc, transport wasn’t as quick, cheap and accessible as it is these days, so folk didn’t travel as much.

You only need to look at the Wakes Weeks holidays when factories and mills shut and everyone’s thought a week or two in Blackpool was the norm. My grandparents etc always did those breaks and bumped into every fucker there who they worked with in Bolton :D

As a result, like I said at the start, most of us were born and bred here. Boltonian, Lancastrian and English.

I’m not jingoistic, I’m merely very proud of my humble Boltonian, Lancastrian and English roots and heritage.

Being Boltonian, Lancastrian and English is nothing to be ashamed of.........I’m very proud of it.

Forgot to add.....it’s not the luck of the draw in the past.......it was merely the norm.

These days, people venture much further afield at a younger age for a new life,admittedly better than Bolton and sometimes venture abroad for retirement...a well deserved retirement I may add.....the folk retiring abroad have paid for it and deserve it.

The stats for folk born in Bolton who live here all their lives will be much different to the stats from say fifty years ago for example ? Many more people born here will move for a better life and rightly so.

These days, it is the luck of the draw to be Bolton,Lancs,England....but none of the folk with that fine hat trick, think we are far superior than anyone else....it’s mere pride, not jingoism.

• Site Supporter

Quite. Certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

I remember the tales from my dad; both him and his dad worked for Oldham batteries at same time. The whole factory jollying off to Blackpool.

They had a sports club, and all manner of other clubs too which created a real pride in the workforce and great camaraderie.

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I remember the tales from my dad; both him and his dad worked for Oldham batteries at same time. The whole factory jollying off to Blackpool.

They had a sports club, and all manner of other clubs too which created a real pride in the workforce and great camaraderie.

Spot on mate.

I love looking at the old pics in the Evening News....as us older lot call it, and seeing coachloads from places like Dobbies, Tottills, Kick Hargreaves going on their annual Beano.

Like you say mate, real pride and camaraderie.

I giggled at the one in the paper last week re the Farnworth lot going to Majorca many moons ago.

Some were refused the flight home due to being rather “intoxicated”.....they had to travel onwards to mainland Spain and the British Embassy for their passports etc to get home...some a week late :D

Old Billy Lane was on it, he was a real character, God rest his soul.

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Widnes Two Hats said:

Looks a great day out BB, I'll put it on my list of places to visit, having said that I've got Sri Lanka on my list

Now's the time to go, be cheap and not that busy

8 minutes ago, Widnes Two Hats said:

Never been bummed, blown up or stabbed so I'd say no. though my claim of never being bummed in tenuous, I ran as fast as I could

Following the terrorist Ale Trail, with the present day climate and activity, you must actually be spoilt for countries to choose from courtesy of ISIS Hallahdays ?

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

I’m not jingoistic, I’m merely very proud of my humble Boltonian, Lancastrian and English roots and heritage.

Being Boltonian, Lancastrian and English is nothing to be ashamed of.........I’m very proud of it.

5 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

it’s mere pride, not jingoism.

4 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

You both seem to be relating my mention of jingoism with shame. That's not what I meant. I'm also proud to be Boltonian.