Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Coronation on your street?

globaldiver

• Members
2 hours ago, Traf said:

I have no interest at all in this Coronation, but each to their own.
Those wanting to get involved should.

I know little about it, who is paying for it?

And those are all (very) fair comments.

I, on the other hand, find this sort of English historical stuff fascinating. As athywhite said, the pomp and pageantry is magnificent but what really does fascinate is the knowledge that a thousand years ago Edgar, great grandson of Alfred The Great, went through the earliest version of the coronation Charles III will receive and it has been performed many times in between the two of them. 

For all those doubters, naysayers and the odd cheesy imbecile about this place, I challenge them to watch this (remove the anti Farage blinkers for a moment) and not feel differently about the history which will be made (added to) on Saturday. You can see why the monarchs don't want the chrism oil part being broadcast!

• Site Supporter

I’ve no issue with it and as an amateur fan of all things Anglo Saxon I’m pretty interested in the historical aspect. 

Plus, my mum would have loved it, so it’ll raise a smile for that reason too.

But I can totally understand folk not being keen. Times are hard and money is being spunked on some fancy hat ceremony. But it was always thus, and it is only costing a fraction of a  Tory PPE contract.

My lads last game of the season so I’ll only be watching the highlights anyway.

Edited by Spider

3 minutes ago, Spider said:

I’ve no issue with it and as an amateur fan of all things Anglo Saxon I’m pretty interested in the historical aspect. 

But I can totally understand folk not being keen. Times are hard and money is being spunked on some fancy hat ceremony. But it was always thus, and it is only costing a fraction of a  Tory PPI contract.

Sunday morning for ours - tricky Dartford away.

1 minute ago, Spider said:

But I can totally understand folk not being keen. Times are hard and money is being spunked on some fancy hat ceremony. But it was always thus, and it is only costing a fraction of a  Tory PPI contract.

My issue is the cost.

Apparently the cost would fund food banks for five years

Just get a few of his friends and family in a church and bang the crown on his thinning bonce and fuck off to one of his big houses for some cheese and pineapple and some Carling.

Anything bigger, let him pay for it himself. Not like he's short of a few bob.

I'll take great pleasure in avoiding it like the fucking plague.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Depending which paper you read, the coronation will give a huge boost to the economy. Estimates between £1 and £8 billion. The £8 billion was the Mirror.

Splendid

I’ll withdraw my comment about it costing a fraction of a Tory PPE contract. The monarchy still pays for itself 😁

Splendid

I’ll withdraw my comment about it costing a fraction of a Tory PPE contract. The monarchy still pays for itself 😁

I mean, we had bought cupcakes and picnic stuff to watch it in Green Park. Just times that by 58 million people and we are quids in.

Quiche for the Crown!

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I mean, we had bought cupcakes and picnic stuff to watch it in Green Park. Just times that by 58 million people and we are quids in.

Quiche for the Crown!

If the monarchy generates a profit, I don’t see an issue.

We’d be happy if BWFC did it.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, mickbrown said:

Does it balls😃

At the risky of sounding all Cheesey, can you provide figures?

I honestly don’t know. I’m inclined to think it turns a profit.

At the risky of sounding all Cheesey, can you provide figures?

I honestly don’t know. I’m inclined to think it turns a profit.

Proponents of this fallacy reckon that tourism would suffer a massive nosedive if we didn't have a Royal family.

Aye because no fucker visits France and we all know what they did with their royals.

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Proponents of this fallacy reckon that tourism would suffer a massive nosedive if we didn't have a Royal family.

Aye because no fucker visits France and we all know what they did with their royals.

So no figures then?

I don’t like Liverpool FC and would happily see them wound up forever, but even I know they make a profit.

Need to separate emotion from the finance here.

London tourism is dominated by the royal family.

7 minutes ago, Spider said:

So no figures then?

I don’t like Liverpool FC and would happily see them wound up forever, but even I know they make a profit.

Need to separate emotion from the finance here.

London tourism is dominated by the royal family.

That wouldn't change if we abolished the monarchy.

57 minutes ago, Spider said:

If the monarchy generates a profit, I don’t see an issue.

We’d be happy if BWFC did it.

Its just that's not the whole argument for keeping the crown, and its a common fallacy and as for London's tourism only generating money because of the crown - well that's just not true. The Tower of London will still generate money if we didn't have a sitting monarch. In fact, if we didn't we could properly open up Buckingham Palace and get people through the door.

I'm no Republican at heart, but let facts be facts.

14 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Its just that's not the whole argument for keeping the crown, and its a common fallacy and as for London's tourism only generating money because of the crown - well that's just not true. The Tower of London will still generate money if we didn't have a sitting monarch. In fact, if we didn't we could properly open up Buckingham Palace and get people through the door.

Aye. Imagine seeing the bedroom where Diana slagged it off with the England Rugby Captain?

• Site Supporter
52 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Any day of the week, the roundabout outside Buckingham Palace is heaving with visitors. I was there 2 weeks ago because my daughter wanted to see it.

Thousand every day all spunking their cash on hotels, food, travel, your theatre nonsense, etc etc.

Im telling you now, it would only be half as busy if the monarchy had disappeared. Deep down you know it.

I just think it’s an entertainment franchise that spins a big profit, so we can probably stop saying they’re a drain on the economy.

Argue about constitutional shit all you like, but my tax money is paying for much bigger shithouses than the Windsors, that much I do know.