Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wigan (H)


desperado

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, barrycowdrill said:

We did 7.5k for a nothing game at rovers on a Sunday. Granted it was a tenner but it’s funny how ticket sales snowball for some games. Sat in mid - late April and we are where we are there would probably be the demand but they would never approve that. Half of their fuckers are red anyway so far more palatable 

It wasn't even that cheap, it was £15.  It happened 2 or 3 reasons running that we each reduced prices to £15, which was basically half price.  It just shows how cheap the games are now compared to then when taking into account inflation, that Campo winner was in 2006 and the prices were considered a bargain even then.  We often paid £30 seventeen years ago and now we still think that's too much. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

The owners that make the decisions probably haven't heard of Bolton never mind have any feelings of hate.  If they could get us to buy 8k tickets instead of 4k I'm sure they would, but it can't happen for league games when they have ST holders in 3 stands.

The owner is from Wigan isn't he?

And they'll probably be aware of the early kick offs and the reason why 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

It wasn't even that cheap, it was £15.  It happened 2 or 3 reasons running that we each reduced prices to £15, which was basically half price.  It just shows how cheap the games are now compared to then when taking into account inflation, that Campo winner was in 2006 and the prices were considered a bargain even then.  We often paid £30 seventeen years ago and now we still think that's too much. 

You're forgetting about the benefits of Premier league money.

We've discussed on here before, that gate money sometimes is much less than sky payments, and they could almost let folk in for nowt.

Lower down, the gate money is vital.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

It wasn't even that cheap, it was £15.  It happened 2 or 3 reasons running that we each reduced prices to £15, which was basically half price.  It just shows how cheap the games are now compared to then when taking into account inflation, that Campo winner was in 2006 and the prices were considered a bargain even then.  We often paid £30 seventeen years ago and now we still think that's too much. 

But we were paying that .oney for top flight football

A better comparison would be with the ticket prices in League One during that period

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

You're forgetting about the benefits of Premier league money.

We've discussed on here before, that gate money sometimes is much less than sky payments, and they could almost let folk in for nowt.

Lower down, the gate money is vital.

Absolutely, agree with that.  That's why I never get into "its £18 at Chorley (or wherever), I can watch City in the champions league for £20".   Prem clubs and City in particular don't need gate money, its a bonus to them rather than a lifeline.

But purely from the point of view of what it costs a Bolton fan to watch his team most weeks, its miles cheaper now than was 20 years ago.  £39 for Cat A matches in ESU and WSU in them days, the club were making a fortune (relatively) from ticket sales as well as Sky etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Absolutely, agree with that.  That's why I never get into "its £18 at Chorley (or wherever), I can watch City in the champions league for £20".   Prem clubs and City in particular don't need gate money, its a bonus to them rather than a lifeline.

But purely from the point of view of what it costs a Bolton fan to watch his team most weeks, its miles cheaper now than was 20 years ago.  £39 for Cat A matches in ESU and WSU in them days, the club were making a fortune (relatively) from ticket sales as well as Sky etc. 

But it isn't, not in reality

Ticket prices are regularly in excess of £30 now and the country has got poorer since

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

But we were paying that .oney for top flight football

A better comparison would be with the ticket prices in League One during that period

Fair point but I was more concerned about how much we were paying, irrespective of the level of football.  When Souness was Blackburn manager they charged us £30 for a Championship game (one of the few league games at Ewood I've missed in my supporting years), equivalent of £53 now.

There's no way we're paying £50+ for a league game at any level.

£39 that we charged away fans around 2006 is worth £64 now.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

But it isn't, not in reality

Ticket prices are regularly in excess of £30 now and the country has got poorer since

Are they?  I don't go to many aways now but I don't miss home games and do some aways and I can't remember the last time I paid £30, and loads of times its much less.  And STs cheaper than ever.  Cup ties tickets are virtually given away, there may have been reductions in the past but not to the extent they are now.

I know it doesn't effect us but away tickets in the Prem are capped at £30 for at least the next 2 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/12/2023 at 15:09, Rizlar said:

The tics are complaining about the Utd fans getting the East Stand 8000 tickets. A director as responded stating that they need the revenue because season tickets sales are less this season and average crowds are down from last season! He also goes onto say they are losing money every week and that is why they are giving Utd the East Stand to generate income. 

They had a massive crowd yesterday of 8838 and I would imagine at least 500 were from Lincoln

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/12/2023 at 17:07, Johnnyrotten said:

Fair point but I was more concerned about how much we were paying, irrespective of the level of football.  When Souness was Blackburn manager they charged us £30 for a Championship game (one of the few league games at Ewood I've missed in my supporting years), equivalent of £53 now.

There's no way we're paying £50+ for a league game at any level.

£39 that we charged away fans around 2006 is worth £64 now.   

Think the most I've paid for a ticket for a league game was £48 for Chelsea away last game of the 07/08 season.

Absolute rip off in all fairness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BeeversLeftPeg said:

Think the most I've paid for a ticket for a league game was £48 for Chelsea away last game of the 07/08 season.

Absolute rip off in all fairness.

For some reason I had two tickets and gave one to @victor meldrew who said he'd sell onto a tout and get my money back outside the ground - big mistake.  Meldrew said he couldn't get more than £30 for it.  The bloke I sat next to was from the Ukraine who said he'd spent hundreds on it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Barnstoneworth White said:

For some reason I had two tickets and gave one to @victor meldrew who said he'd sell onto a tout and get my money back outside the ground - big mistake.  Meldrew said he couldn't get more than £30 for it.  The bloke I sat next to was from the Ukraine who said he'd spent hundreds on it.  

Bollocks he traded 2 sheep and a gerkin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.