Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Any doctors on here?

Guest The Special One

Guest The Special One

Tomorrows the day I have my first general anaesthetic and I'm rather worried.

Whats it like?

I aint scared of anything or anyone yet I've got butterflies in me belly thinking about it.

Had it done twice in last 3 months.

Nowt to worry about.

They give you a needle, then put an mask over your mouth and within 3 seconds your asleep.

When you wake up, you will feel sick n not know wot the fcuk ure doin or where u are?

(is that what you feel like when your high? i wouldn't know)

• Moderators
Why is General Anaesthesia not used very much for dental work?

General anaesthesia is a procedure which is never without risk (including the risk of death). As a result, the General Dental Council in the UK recommends that "the decision to refer a patient for treatment under general anaesthesia should not be taken lightly." "In assessing the needs of an individual patient, due regard should be given to all aspects of behavioural management and anxiety control before deciding to treat or refer for treatment under general anaesthesia. General anaesthesia for dental treatment should only be administered in a hospital setting with critical care facilities. All dentists involved in arranging or providing treatment under general anaesthesia should discuss with the patient advice and treatment options to avoid or reduce future episodes of general anaesthesia. A dentist who refers a patient for treatment or carries out treatment on a patient under general anaesthesia without ensuring that the relevant conditions ... are met is liable to a charge of serious professional misconduct." (excerpt from "Maintaining Standards", GDC, 1997)

Apart from the risk of death (which, while very small, is still significantly higher than for conscious IV sedation), general anesthesia has a few major disadvantages:

(1) Complications are more likely with GA compared with conscious sedation both during and after the procedure. GA depresses the cardiovascular and respiratory systems. For some groups of medically compromised patients, it is contraindicated for elective procedures.

(2) It's not recommended for routine dental work like fillings. The potential risk involved is too high to warrant the use of GA. For things like fillings, a breathing tube must be inserted, because otherwise, little bits of tooth, other debris or saliva could enter the airway and produce airway obstruction or cause illnesses like pneumonia.

(3) Laboratory tests, chest x-rays and ECG are often required before having GA, because of the greater risks involved.

(4) Very advanced training and an anesthesia team are required, and special equipment and facilities are needed. GA introduces a number of technical problems for the operator (i. e. dentist), especially when a "breathing tube" is involved: the tongue is brought forward more into the dentist's way by the airway tubing, the muscles are paralysed so the operator is working against a dead weight all the time and there are postural problems because the patient can't be moved about much. The operator can get very tired very quickly when doing a session. It's physically the most demanding kind of dentistry (usually standing, hot lights, compromised patient position).

(5) You can't drink or eat for 6 hours before the procedure (otherwise, vomiting is possible and this would be extremely dangerous during GA).

(6) It's expensive.

(7) GA does nothing to reduce dental anxiety. The next time you need any work, or even a routine check-up, you'll most likely be as afraid as ever. This may not be applicable to all situations - as mentioned below, GA can be useful or even indicated for certain situations.

As a means of anxiety management however, GA is next to useless. Anecdotal evidence suggests that people who have treatment done under GA as a means of anxiety-control are less likely return for regular check-ups and cleanings which are necessary to maintain dental health. Obviously, there may be exceptions.

Tomorrows the day I have my first general anaesthetic and I'm rather worried.

Whats it like?

I aint scared of anything or anyone yet I've got butterflies in me belly thinking about it.

No probs try and count to 10 you won't get to 4.

Not sure what your in for, but last time I was in on an overnight ward with two other lads we obtained cigs, booze and pizza - gospel.

• Site Supporter

Spent four days at Bolton Hospital recently shadowing A&E nurses, Rapid Response Ambulance Drivers and spent a day with an anaesthatist in theatre.

Bugger all to be scared of, they put you out, push an oxygen tube down your throat, do the op, remove the anaesthetic, you wake up. Piece of piss!

I stood in while a mate of mine was having an op. I walked in and he saw me and asked, "What the fcuk are you doing here?"

"I'm about to knock you out for your op, push things down your throat to maintain your airway, and generally take the piss out of you while you're unconcious." I replied.

He was slightly worried at that. :D

Guest The Special One

Oh well, shouldn't be too bad then.

Just hope I don't die otherwise I'll miss out on the allstars xmas doo.

Guest The Special One
You won't know if you do croak mate, if that's any consolation

:D

You lot will though, I'll haunt this board then make sure we win the uefa cup with some spooky happenings and freaky goals

missus had one today for her op. she woke up babbling a load of old bollocks, felt a bit wooshey and looked like shit. apart from that, all went well and she's still alive as we speak.

I'll be putting the Legal & General documents back in the cupboard.... maybe next time.

had a 13 hour op when i was 12/13 years old, and after youve had your head reconstructed you dont give a toss about an aneasthetic.

if i was crazy enough to get a skinhead- ive got a shocking scar.

and Jay, if you really think your gonna die- please bonk me before we go to the hospital... [-o< [-o<

When i were about 12/13 had gen anesthetic for an op to remove a nasty absess in me mouth. Sort of came to and needed a slash but i was pretty much still KO'd took about 2 stepstowards the bogs passed out and pissed meself! :-$

Also like Smiley in Istanbul! :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.