Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Defending From Corners

fruitbat69

Why do we never stick some on the half way line when we defend corners. :blink:

It really does irritate me.

As soon as we clear it it goes straight to the opposition and they launch again back in the box.

At least someone up front gives us an outlet as well as keeps 2 defenders occupied. =D>

As soon as we clear it it goes straight to the opposition and they launch again back in the box.

At least someone up front gives us an outlet as well as keeps 2 defenders occupied. =D>

It irritates the **** out of me too, especially at home!

Half-way line ? What planet are you on ? Megson never leaves anyone forward of our own penalty spot. The opposition are queuing up on the edge of our box waiting for any loose ball to shoot back in. Basically, when we defend a corner, we're hoping for a free-kick or a goal-kick so we can get someone upfield to clear to.

Mind you, even more shocking, I noticed Arsenal doing the same in the 2nd half. Now that was weird.

Edited by Rembrandt

Maybe an email to Mr Megson might give him an idea. :good:

Sorry I forgot the fans opinions mean nothing to our manager. :angry:

yeah because that would be a good way to run a club wouldn't it. have the fans make all the decisions. yeah, good idea einstein.

yeah because that would be a good way to run a club wouldn't it. have the fans make all the decisions. yeah, good idea einstein.

So far so good for Ebsfleet United.

How many players did Arsenal, universally accepted as the most attacking, free-flowing side in Europe, leave forward from corners on Saturday?

Not saying i agree with it (i can't see what say, Riga offers us defensively from a corner), but if it's good enough for Wenger....

Megson has a heart attack when anyone apart from Davies crosses the halfway line so hes not gonna do that!

• Moderators
No one said it had to be Davies, someone with a bit of pace would be better - Gardner gets my vote!

gardners ont post

tell me youd honestly worry about gardner scoring?

im his biggest fan and accept he cant kick straight

• Moderators
It's accepted wisdom (mine) that the more you leave upfield, the more defenders they'll leave back, generally one spare

A less congested area is then easier to defend, and easier for the goalie to claim the cross.

so by that logic you'd leave all 10 upfield?

• Moderators
so by that logic you'd leave all 10 upfield?

On a similar subject, if you are taking a corner and 2 players go to the ball, 2 defenders will go with them. That's 2 defenders out of the equation for the price of 1. Why doesn't everyone do it? Am I missing something?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.