Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Best Boxing Day Away Games

RUREADY2ROLL

Two that sticks out for me is:

Preston away on Sir Roger Hunts debut - won 3-1 and whites were everywhere in the ground

Blackpool away and we won 2-1 about 23 years ago

Anyone remember them and what are your memories

I remember the spion kop was shut and the P.A announced "Will the Bolton Fans please move forward to allow more into the ground", then we climbed over into the kop end. Fantastic turn out :good:

Aye. Away end full to the brim and plenty outside kicking the doors in, and it snowed - how festive.

thought ide jump the turn stiles :yahoo: and everyone would follow how wrong i was

got kicked out dont how their new it was me praps the bright red henry lloyd

didnt help wot a laugh

Oldham away 1975.

This was my first ever away game, so it stands out in the memory. For the record we lost 1 - 2. However we played Sunderland the very next day at home which is in my top ten Bolton games of all time in front of a crowd of 42.000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FicYeFFuAIs

some of the greatest footage ever seen via this wways.

brings a tear to my eye does that.

• Site Supporter
some of the greatest footage ever seen via this wways.

brings a tear to my eye does that.

Was just gonna post summat similar. Never seen that clip before and I only started going the season after. Seen the Allardyce goal before but didnt know he had OG earlier in the game

How loud was the crowd

I had to turn the volume down on my PC.

• Members

Preston away on Sir Roger Hunts debut - won 3-1 and whites were everywhere in the ground

Remember OK. Sir Roger Hunts debut was unforgettable. An exodus similar to the one on that night at Ewood Park. Took over the entire ground instead of just the bouncy end we had always had previously. The only time I recall being in the Spion Kop at Deepdale. Always at the other end and seem to remember a Franny Lee hat trick with one a cheeky backheel over the line as the PNE defence tried in vain to get back and tackle him?

Also remember big Dennis scattering the helmets of a number of constables behind the goals at that same end on one occasion :D

Remember OK. Sir Roger Hunts debut was unforgettable. An exodus similar to the one on that night at Ewood Park. Took over the entire ground instead of just the bouncy end we had always had previously. The only time I recall being in the Spion Kop at Deepdale. Always at the other end and seem to remember a Franny Lee hat trick with one a cheeky backheel over the line as the PNE defence tried in vain to get back and tackle him?

Also remember big Dennis scattering the helmets of a number of constables behind the goals at that same end on one occasion :D

I also was in their spion cop as the other end was full - we ended up with 3 times the preston fans in their as well - great day

• Site Supporter
Oldham away 1975.

This was my first ever away game, so it stands out in the memory. For the record we lost 1 - 2. However we played Sunderland the very next day at home which is in my top ten Bolton games of all time in front of a crowd of 42.000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FicYeFFuAIs

Where were the Sunderland fans?

I think I was at Blackpool for that game although I didn't think it was quite that long ago. Mcateer played in the game i'm thinking of, I remember being the last supporter in through the particular turnstile I'd been waiting at, just squeezed between the wall and the police horses arse that had gone galloping in to turn the Bolton fans away. When I got in it was absolutely chocca but I met a mate who'd got there early and told a copper that the section of terrace wouldn't be big enough, the copper just laughed and replied that there was no way we'd fill it. As a previous poster said it ended up with Whites fans having to take the initiative and climb the fence into the crumbling kop to escape the crush.

• Site Supporter
Thought that myself. As I wasn't even born when the match took place, I just assumed they were somewhere else in the ground and it got changed when I started going along.

I was there but I can't recall where they would be. I always thought they'd given the whole of the embankment to clubs with a good away following. It was definately prior to the double row of fencing in both the Lever End and embankment.

I was there but I can't recall where they would be. I always thought they'd given the whole of the embankment to clubs with a good away following. It was definately prior to the double row of fencing in both the Lever End and embankment.

I was in the Burnden paddock and cant remember where the sunderland fans where - well it was over 30 years ago

Just dont know whats happened to the passion from those good old days although it always has been up and down as I remember Carlisle away on boxing day when we only took about 200

I was not going to go again until Megson has departed but I am planning to go to Burnley on Boxing Day - In the blood and you just have to do it. COYWM

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.