Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Recent Filums I've Watched

Smiley

Watched Inglourious Basterds again last night. 

It's an enjoyable film but not one of Tarantino's best. Never really gets any better than that first scene with Landa in the farm house. Although the scene in the underground bar is excellently tense. Very rewatchable film but he's done better.

• Members
21 minutes ago, Anderson said:

It's an enjoyable film but not one of Tarantino's best. Never really gets any better than that first scene with Landa in the farm house. Although the scene in the underground bar is excellently tense. Very rewatchable film but he's done better.

One of my favourite Tarantino films that 

22 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

One of my favourite Tarantino films that 

Oh it's up there don't get me wrong but Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and I think for me Django just edge it. 

Not had chance to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood yet but heard some good things.

• Members
1 hour ago, Anderson said:

Oh it's up there don't get me wrong but Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and I think for me Django just edge it. 

Not had chance to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood yet but heard some good things.

I’d have a tough time naming my top 3 QT films but IB would be up for consideration.

Once upon a time in on Hollywood, visually looks brilliant, dialogue is superb, story is just a bit bizarre and a bit of a  let down IMO.

Brad Pitt’s character could have a stand alone film though 

Edited by Rudy’s Message

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Rudy’s Message said:

I’d have a tough time naming my top 3 QT films but IB would be up for consideration.

Once upon a time in on Hollywood, visually looks brilliant, dialogue is superb, story is just a bit bizarre and a bit of a  let down IMO.

Brad Pitt’s character could have a stand alone film though 

Divides opinion does QT

I think Kill Bill is his best work.

I should add that Uma Thurman gives me a proper bonk on so I’m slightly biased.

Edited by Spider

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Spider said:

Divides opinion does QT

I think kill bill vol one edges it for me too

Great soundtrack too

• Members
20 minutes ago, Spider said:

Divides opinion does QT

Yeah had a thing for her ever since I saw her OD in Pulp Fiction. 

And yeah zico you’re right the soundtrack is brilliant, one of the very few soundtracks I own.

58 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

And yeah zico you’re right the soundtrack is brilliant, one of the very few soundtracks I own.

Whilst you're over there,  see if any of your amigos can lend you The Night of the Sunflowers.....cracking Spanish film re a serial killer.

9 hours ago, Anderson said:

Seen it a few time. Its an excellent flum.

• Site Supporter

Bought 'Brazil' on DVD last week. A supposed 'classic' from Terry Gilliam that I've been meaning to watch for years. Tried to watch it twice now and turned it off halfway through because it was boring as fuck. It seemed slightly better at my second attempt, so I'll probably try it again this week.

15 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Bought 'Brazil' on DVD last week. A supposed 'classic' from Terry Gilliam that I've been meaning to watch for years. Tried to watch it twice now and turned it off halfway through because it was boring as fuck. It seemed slightly better at my second attempt, so I'll probably try it again this week.

Funny

My favourite film

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Funny

My favourite film

Might turn out to be one of mine too... I've gone through the same with several films, albums, and books. Probably just a 'frame of mind' thing. There's definitely something about it that makes me want to give it more time to sink in. If there wasn't, I'd just sack it off altogether.

Edited by Cheese

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Read once that every song he uses in his films is one he already likes from his personal collection, ie he hand picks the songs to be used

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Cheese said:

I was the same, i wanted to like it more than i did but it just doesn't do it for me

Same with

Blade runner

Fight club

Apocalypse now

• Members
6 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

Read once that every song he uses in his films is one he already likes from his personal collection, ie he hand picks the songs to be used

He was supposed to be a DJ in grand theft auto on a station called Reservoir FM and just the songs he liked but there were scheduling conflicts so had to pull out 

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

I was the same, i wanted to like it more than i did but it just doesn't do it for me

Same with

Blade runner

Fight club

Apocalypse now

I had the same trouble with Blade Runner, but I "got" Fight Club and Apocalypse Now the first time I saw them. From what I've watched of Brazil, it reminds me greatly of 'Twelve Monkeys', but that's another film I loved the first time I saw it. Weird.

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter
On 16/02/2020 at 23:18, Rudy’s Message said:

Get out what a film

Enjoyed it myself. I sussed the plot to come too early for any great surprise, but a good watch nonetheless.

1917 seems to get mixed opinions; is it worth renting for around £15 or better to wait a while- lad is into his war stuff and wondered whether to give it a go?