Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oldish Bowton

Had a summer job back in 1973 at Beehive Mill on Crescent Road. It was part of Great Universal Stores and was a distribution centre for its catalogue sales. There was another mill next door but I can't remember the name.

Also had a summer job the following year at a company called Hargreaves Hamilton which was in a mill (can't remember the name) somewhere off St Georges Road/Chorley Old Road. They dismantled cotton machinery from various mills around Lancashire, stripped them down, cleaned them up and exported them to the far east.

Edited by aberwhite

• Members

Who remembers the number of Mills, factories there used to be.

I'll start with these, Dart Mill,Ryders on Folds rd, Marsden radiators,Ainsworths paper mill.

Denvale Mill - became Walmsleys training school and R&D facility.

Doing me ed in thinking of the one on Blackburn Rd near Sharples? My grandmothers last job but fooked if I can remember it's name.

Did they make Eagley mills into flats? not been up that way for years.

Yeah, they demolished a fair chunk and then turned the rest into poncey apartments. Apparently when new players come to the Reebok they often have digs there til they get settled.

Is the Falcon in Halliwell still going?

My mum worked there in the seventies.

Used to meet her outside on a Friday night and get Pudding Chips Peas and gravy for my tea from Thorpe's on Eskrick Street.

Is the Falcon in Halliwell still going?

My mum worked there in the seventies.

Used to meet her outside on a Friday night and get Pudding Chips Peas and gravy for my tea from Thorpe's on Eskrick Street.

It is indeed, though not as a mill anymore!

DHL depot and a few workshops

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.