Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Olympic Concert.....

Henry_VIII

explanation of the Dublin visit from http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchrelay

Someone on BBC news at lunch time said because it is the "GB" team, people in N Ireland can only participate if they have English parents : What a load of Bollocks

BBC reporting is really poor these days. On Monday they said that Robbie Williams kicked off the jubilee concert with "Mac the Knife" and THEY were broadcasting it!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Wayne Mcculloch, a proud Ulsterman from the Shankhill Road, boxed for Ireland in the Seoul games.

Won gold at commenwelth games inb 1990 for Northern Ireland. At the medal ceremony when they couldn't get the NI anthem playing in the arena an Northern Irish bloke sung Danny Boy instead.

Yes. Wayne Mcculloch, a proud Ulsterman from the Shankhill Road, boxed for Ireland in the Seoul games.

Won gold at commenwelth games inb 1990 for Northern Ireland. At the medal ceremony when they couldn't get the NI anthem playing in the arena an Northern Irish bloke sung Danny Boy instead.

Barry McGuigan too. Represented NI in the Commonwealths, and Ireland at the Olympics

• Moderators

i did some googling last night

i couldn't find anything to contradict the view that NI boxers would actually fight for ireland

cos NI fighters don't fight as part of the ABA

as mentioned above, mccullough is from a protestant belfast family, yet fought for the republic

• Site Supporter

i did some googling last night

i couldn't find anything to contradict the view that NI boxers would actually fight for ireland

cos NI fighters don't fight as part of the ABA

as mentioned above, mccullough is from a protestant belfast family, yet fought for the republic

nope, he fought for Ireland at the olympics. Due to the fact the olympic council of ireland represents the island and not the two states on it (in most olympic sports) as well as that, there is no "UK" team to wich NI belongs, the team is team GB as stated, so, they are not representing the republic or northern ireland but Ireland as a whole.

nope, he fought for Ireland at the olympics. Due to the fact the olympic council of ireland represents the island and not the two states on it (in most olympic sports) as well as that, there is no "UK" team to wich NI belongs, the team is team GB as stated, so, they are not representing the republic or northern ireland but Ireland as a whole.

No you are wrong, from the British Olympic Association website :

"The British Olympic Association (BOA) is the National Olympic Committee (NOC) for Great Britain and Northern Ireland"

However, people in NI can chose to represent the Republic (like in football).

• Site Supporter

No you are wrong, from the British Olympic Association website :

"The British Olympic Association (BOA) is the National Olympic Committee (NOC) for Great Britain and Northern Ireland"

However, people in NI can chose to represent the Republic (like in football).

aye, but then we can quote the Olympic council of Ireland saying they represent the island, as someone else said, depends on who they are affiliated to in their chosen sport. Don't think Ireland has been known at the games as the "republic" is the point I was making, dont think the team display the tricolour but shamrocks? its known as "Ireland" as, as you say, can elect to represent either. ( known as Eire or the free state in some early years, but in modern times) I may well be wrong but it's just the way i've always understood it.

I personally think, the majority of decisions, depend on competition for team places rather than a persons political persuasion, especially in a sport such as boxing where Britain is strong for example, your a young lad from Belfast competing against young lads from all over Britain and your the same weight as the likes of Amir Khan, or, your up against three or four from all over Ireland and maybe even a shoe in to go because they only have that many.

choice between not going as britain or competing as team Ireland must be only one winner for most to be honest. probably the same reason Mcguigan represented NI even though he's from the republic.

aye, but then we can quote the Olympic council of Ireland saying they represent the island, as someone else said, depends on who they are affiliated to in their chosen sport. Don't think Ireland has been known at the games as the "republic" is the point I was making, dont think the team display the tricolour but shamrocks? its known as "Ireland" as, as you say, can elect to represent either. ( known as Eire or the free state in some early years, but in modern times) I may well be wrong but it's just the way i've always understood it.

I personally think, the majority of decisions, depend on competition for team places rather than a persons political persuasion, especially in a sport such as boxing where Britain is strong for example, your a young lad from Belfast competing against young lads from all over Britain and your the same weight as the likes of Amir Khan, or, your up against three or four from all over Ireland and maybe even a shoe in to go because they only have that many.

choice between not going as britain or competing as team Ireland must be only one winner for most to be honest. probably the same reason Mcguigan represented NI even though he's from the republic.

They do the tricolour in the Olympics and play the soldier song as the anthem. Rugby is different ( I'm sure some other sports are as well).

"representing the island of Ireland" is typical republican speak. The republic always calls itself "Ireland"

• Site Supporter

They do the tricolour in the Olympics and play the soldier song as the anthem. Rugby is different ( I'm sure some other sports are as well).

"representing the island of Ireland" is typical republican speak. The republic always calls itself "Ireland"

aye fair point,I'll concede that point thinking about it, suppose it could be seen that way, and i was more thinking of the vests/ jerseys/tracksuits etc to be honest, but yeh, I can see that point now, just never thought of it that way, suppose it depends which viewpoint you look at it from,, never really thought about it that much to be honest, but always thought it was a good thing as most elect to represent, and possibly due to the competition factor more get the chance to go. But suppose there will always be the "republican" factor with an island team of any description that some will be opposed to and some will love because of it.

you may find this an interesting debate/ article http://premierkj.hubpages.com/hub/Rory-McIlroy-Identity-Crisis nothing to do with the olympics but good points on teams/affiliations etc. prob wont interest anyone else :roll:

Interesting article, but II have seen a picture of Rory with an NI flag so I'm not sure he deliberately avoids the issue. More like he doesn't flaunt it.

Google "Rory Mcilroy flag" and you'll see the image.

It's a complex issue and people feel differently, it's not just what community they are from.

I am from NI, support Ireland in Rugby and would never support England. In football I would support NI and dont really care what England or ROI do.

In cricket I would support England.

• Site Supporter

Interesting article, but II have seen a picture of Rory with an NI flag so I'm not sure he deliberately avoids the issue. More like he doesn't flaunt it.

Google "Rory Mcilroy flag" and you'll see the image.

It's a complex issue and people feel differently, it's not just what community they are from.

I am from NI, support Ireland in Rugby and would never support England. In football I would support NI and dont really care what England or ROI do.

In cricket I would support England.

aye, but who do you follow in the GAA, that's the important thing :D

ps no offence if you hate it :innocent:

aye, but who do you follow in the GAA, that's the important thing :D

ps no offence if you hate it :innocent:

Not really my thing, but I might enjoy watching it if I knew the rules. Hurling looks rough as fuck.

The NI police has a team so things change.