Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Shit Things Folk Used To Hanker After...

Youri McAnespie

I remember them. Weren't they around the same time as BK (British Knights) and also LA Gear (with their two sets of contrasting laces) ? I never owned any of 'em. They were too dear. If they weren't in Shu-String or on the market I wasn't getting 'em.

I think every mum must've tried it on at least once, palming us off with crap from these two places. My mate asked his mum for a pair of Nike once and received 'Nicks' - of course he received a sound beating when he came out in them (accompanied by a chant of 'scrubber, scrubber...' :)) I had some shitty ones once called 'Zephyr' - I tried to pass them off as a really good french make, but my so-called friends were having none of it, and I got the 'scrubber' treatment minus 'the beats' as I was quite hard :blush:

If i remember right, those who couldn't afford LA Gear, PumP, Troop or BK often got Pony 'Linebacker', Pony by name Pony by nature.

I was briefly a greb and wore Converse 360

Converse+ERX+360+white%253Ared.jpg

or Reebok Hexalite and thought I looked the dog's bollocks, when in fact I looked like dogs' shit.

Soon saw the light and got some Nike Air from Gibsons Sports back room - got 'em for a song as well, only problem one was size 8 t'other was size 9...

Edited by Youri McAnespie

bought myself some reebok pump back 1989/90ish. They were well over a 100 quid which when I look back now was utterly ridiculous!

That was pretty steep, but I remember it not being unusual for most people to spend £50+ on trainers. On a different note, but the same theme (stuff that was more expensive in the past), I often think how much I and others must've spent on CDs over the years...

And now you could probably buy the whole collection for about £7.67 on Amazon...

Vinyl however, has kept it's value...thank f*ck.

I bought myself some reebok pump back 1989/90ish. They were well over a 100 quid which when I look back now was utterly ridiculous!

I still have a pair of Reebok pump.

Ok they're the DGK ones and I only bought em t'other year but they're still pumps.

Oh and everyone wanted one of these bad boys.

hypercolor.jpg

More annoying a few years later when I found out how much they cost to make & could buy for cost price :(

Ah, but where would one buy a NafNaf puffa jacket* to complete the look nowadays?

I can't for the life of me find a picture of one of those Kappa Ski jackets - blue with silver shoulders, that were all the rage circa 1988.

* Not Naff Naff - they still sell those on Farnworth Market.

Anyway, some more overpriced faddy shite...

Balance%20Platform%20Pogo%20Ball.jpg

I'm sure loads of people hadn't a clue who James were - they just used to wear the T-shirt as a fashion statement. A bit like De-La-Soul gear also...

This got me thinking of people wearing ridiculous flares, which segues into something I witnessed in Bolton town centre yesterday - several bellends wearing shit-catchers, that the crotch of which, was literally at/or below the knee joint. Waddling along like fucking penguins, reminded me of those tits in the 'baggy' era, whose flares had to be bigger than everyone elses.