Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Th'egg Chasing

superjohnmcginlay

Once went watching hull fc against somebody or other when they played at their old ground.

I learnt swear words I never knew existed!

It really isn't surprising I have a potty mouth having been taken to Wiggin for RL & thRMI for the football before I'd even started infant school.

Tell you what. If they did take union to 13 then they need to learn how to tackle properly.

In open plays theres been heads and shoulders all over the shop in this Wales Ireland game which in fairness has been half decent. Id put it on a par with championship one in terms of quality.

But If you're going to hit big then get your head in the right place before you break your neck. Basic stuff.

And don't get me in the quality of passing and catching.

You can tell they don't do it often.

It is utter fucking rubbish. The ball is live barely ever and when it is it is not passing through hands. The penalties are for offences no cunt but the ref is aware of, the basic skills are pitiful, don't get me started on the scrums. Two or more minutes to get right what is little more than a formality to get the ball back live. Pish.

Out of interest, are the Farrell family considered outcasts in league circles?

No not really.

He went to union when he wasn't good enough for league anymore.

You get a lot of union folk critical of league yet forget the improvements made by the likes of Edwards, Ford, etc al. Things like not having the fat lads playing anymore, stuff like that.

I didn't. A scrum is a means of getting the ball in play. In league it takes seconds, in union it takes weeks. A tap would be preferable, yes. Of course, once the backs in union eventually receive the ball from a scrum, they display the greatest possible alacrity in shoeing it to the other team. Who then do the same. Repeat until penalty is awarded and zzzzzzz

Ok, so we're back to where we started.

You don't value a proper scrum, but lots of people do. The sight of 12 grown men having a gentle hug and avoiding competing for the ball is probably a good metaphor for the whole game, given the complete lack of competition at the breakdown too.

We only have scrums as a means to restarting the game. No more no less.

Days of fat lads huffing and puffing for an age whilst the ball rattles around pit boots went years ago in our game. This season you don't even have to have a full 6 in the scrum when attacking.

The reason is so when the ball comes out there are only 7 men outside of the scrum so straight away the game is open and fast.

In union, its an excuse for 16 men to have a rest.

Even the more intelligent in union see the benefit of it and are pushing for non-contested scrums.

For John wilkinsons sake I honestly hope he sees some success. That bloke is a Salford legend. Without him they'd be Swinton.

Thing is, I can't see the new mon sticking at it.

Once he's thrown xyz at it and the folk of Salford still struggle to number 5000 at one of the most inaccesible stadiums in the game unless you have a car, I think he'll get bored.

There's a huge problem there too. The club don't get much if the secondary spend as they rent the ground. Unless he resolves that then they'll never succeed as a business.

He's going to buy the councils share of the stadium, 51 per cent. There is also a relief rd being built next year.

Not sure of the "official" attendance last night but seeing as the tickets were only on sale from Wednesday it was a decent turn out.

Salford for me too. Used to be wiggin but started to get a bit fed up when they had no competition, win after win so I went to the other extreme.

What the ex leyther said though. I used to play union and reckon I could do now if I wasn't such a lazy twat.

No comparison though, league is far superior. Just need a fresh team for my lad as his has folded. He plays at full back and he's like greased lightning. Getting tubby as he's not played for weeks