Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

We Are The Lever Enders

The Spragg Dog

i remeber the burnden paddock joining the lever end, the corner nearest the manny road on that day we beat sheff utd

it was on your marks when the final whistle went

I remember all the ''lads'' seeing that from the manny rd north and going down to the lever end waiting for sheffield's finest to come outside. The south yorkshire lot were covered in ammonia from the old jif bottles and were in Italian army mode back into the lever end until someone on this board said ''shit,look at that fucking lot''........the embankment had emptied and were heading across the car park towards us. The fuckers were still chasing us to Moses Gate !!! IIRC,a couple of coaches of Sheff Utd had parked in farnworth and got a good kicking,before and after the match.

I remember all the ''lads'' seeing that from the manny rd north and going down to the lever end waiting for sheffield's finest to come outside. The south yorkshire lot were covered in ammonia from the old jif bottles and were in Italian army mode back into the lever end until someone on this board said ''shit,look at that fucking lot''........the embankment had emptied and were heading across the car park towards us. The fuckers were still chasing us to Moses Gate !!! IIRC,a couple of coaches of Sheff Utd had parked in farnworth and got a good kicking,before and after the match.

That was one hell of a frightening day.

i remeber the burnden paddock joining the lever end, the corner nearest the manny road on that day we beat sheff utd

it was on your marks when the final whistle went

Went into the bookies over the ground got talking to a right sheff U bruiser about 10 years older than me he was waxing on about TC he were a bit thick so I said your right there's only 1 TC Tony Caldwell he looked me with a steely eye and said you mean Tony Fucking Currie as I scuttled out of the bookies double sharp, any how in the ground I spotted him again ripping seats out of the Burnden seats and lobbing seats down at us in the paddock cheeky bugger spotted me mid way through throwing a seat and before he thew it give me a wave. I didn't hang around long after the match straight on the 542 normally I'd have hung about seeing if there was any shenanigans but not that day.

• Moderators

the fella with the russian name was on the car park as we strolled jogged pegged it up towards weston street

stand and fight you cnuts he shouted with a broom handle in his hands

get fcuked was the chorus

he was next seen flying up weston street

Went into the bookies over the ground got talking to a right sheff U bruiser about 10 years older than me he was waxing on about TC he were a bit thick so I said your right there's only 1 TC Tony Caldwell he looked me with a STEELY eye and said you mean Tony Fucking Currie as I scuttled out of the bookies double sharp, any how in the ground I spotted him again ripping seats out of the Burnden seats and lobbing seats down at us in the paddock cheeky bugger spotted me mid way through throwing a seat and before he thew it give me a wave. I didn't hang around long after the match straight on the 542 normally I'd have hung about seeing if there was any shenanigans but not that day.

I like what you did there.

The club captain Ray Deakin's brother looked to be enjoying a punch up in the Manny Road seats that day. I started watching on the Manny Rd south terrace but climbed over to the north on safety grounds. We were heavily out numbered before several hundred of them climbed over the back of the Embankment, think of the Michael Caine film Zulu and you will get the general idea.

We left a full time to see as Miami said hundreds of them run from the Embankment to exchange pleasantries with our lot leaving the Lever End. Managed to mingle in on the walk up Manchester Road towards town but legged it up Bradshawgate when they turned up Trinity Street but not before shouting "fuck off you sheep shaggers" in an earty teenage high pitched voice. 1-1 I reckon.

• Members

Anyone remember Watford away 1969 ish 'who threw that fakkin can!' on the Rookery end

A legendary moment!

"We're the Watford, we're the Watford, we're the Watford Rookery!"

First place I ever saw original skinheads in the late 60's. Sheepskin coats, Bens, Cherry Red Docs and stone coloured Levi Staprest.

The bollocks. The wavy Mod locks had gone within days of getting back to Bolton. A number one with a shaved in parting at Cains at the junction of CNR and COR. The barber of choice for the discerning boot boy  :D

Edited by bolty58

• Members

Was a great time to be a teen between 69-71, just for the fashion alone. Being a skinhead, then a crombie boy and all the match and music scene action.

Spot on. The natural progression - Skinhead, Suedehead, Smoothie, Brolly Boy, back to Mod, Casual.................

Brilliant era the late 60's and early 70's. Brutus, Jaytex, Staprest, Crombie, Royals, Docs, Bens, 501's, Lee Riders etc.