Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton V Wigan

MickyD

There are very few genuine rivalries.

Most of the fake ones are born of jealousy to a bigger local club. Our hatred of United, Bury's of us, Burnley's of Blackburn etc. This isn't a rivalry, as someone said above, because it's only one way.

Most rivalries develop through being the same size and competing the same area. Liverpool v Everton, Tottenham v Arsenal, United v City etc.

Then there are the other kind, like we have with Wolves and Tranmere. Not based on locality, more based on an event (or events) that sparked the situation.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the fake ones are born of jealousy to a bigger local club. Our hatred of United, Bury's of us, Burnley's of Blackburn etc. This isn't a rivalry, as someone said above, because it's only one way.

Most rivalries develop through being the same size and competing the same area. Liverpool v Everton, Tottenham v Arsenal, United v City etc.

Then there are the other kind, like we have with Wolves and Tranmere. Not based on locality, more based on an event (or events) that sparked the situation.

The Burnley Blackburn thing is very much two way mate.

The biggest rivalries IMO are the rivalries born or escalated for non footballing reasons.

Ie Pompy/Southampton and the dockers strike saga, Cardiff/Swansea for plentiful reasons, the Sheffield derby due to steelworker disputes and generic scrapping every Saturday night, and dare is say it the Bpool/Preston derby. People from the two towns simply don't get on,which was born from BAE site worker disputes in the 60's/70's involving sites at strand road Preston and Warton etc.

I dislike most of them. Can't really be arsed with City or Oldham, Rochdale aren't on the radar and I can't raise any enthusiasm about Preston.

I can't stand United that'll always be the case. However, eight or nine years ago I stopped feeling gutted if we lost against them. They're out of our orbit - even when we're in the same league as them. Beating them was still fantastic though!

Bury? Hate the fact that they kept beating us in the 80s but they're as small time as it gets.

That leaves the shower with whom we currently share the Championship. Wigan? Certainly dislike them - but no more so than Blackburn. Always had a respect for Burnley but that's diminished in recent times. That leaves Blackpool, another set of petty Bolton Wanderers haters. I'm looking forward to the Wigan match on March 29 but also to the Blackpool game on March 25 and hoping we can beat them in the league for the first time since we started playing them again in 2010. Hope we don't overlook the Blackpool game just because it is followed by Wigan.

• Moderators

There are plenty; not sure what your definition of genuine is but city wise you've got a fair few

The obvious ones like utd v city, Liverpool v everton, down to smaller ones likes bristol rovers v city, Stoke v port vale etc

Then two neighbouring towns like Newcastle Sunderland, pompey Southampton, blackburn burnley to further afield like Ipswich Norwich and I've even been to a Peterborough Cambridge game and they hate each other

Chuck in the likes of utd Liverpool and I start to get jealous we don't have one

Edited by ZicoKelly

There are plenty; not sure what your definition of genuine is but city wise you've got a fair few

The obvious ones like utd v city, Liverpool v everton, down to smaller ones likes bristol rovers v city, Stoke v port vale etc

Then two neighbouring towns like Newcastle Sunderland, pompey Southampton, blackburn burnley to further afield like Ipswich Norwich and I've even been to a Peterborough Cambridge game and they hate each other

Chuck in the likes of utd Liverpool and I start to get jealous we don't have one

Millwall/West Ham

Villa v Birmingham

Luton v Watford

Wolves v West Brom

Etc etc

Have you been for that brain scan yet snoop?

The Burnley Blackburn thing is very much two way mate.

The biggest rivalries IMO are the rivalries born or escalated for non footballing reasons.

Ie Pompy/Southampton and the dockers strike saga, Cardiff/Swansea for plentiful reasons, the Sheffield derby due to steelworker disputes and generic scrapping every Saturday night, and dare is say it the Bpool/Preston derby. People from the two towns simply don't get on,which was born from BAE site worker disputes in the 60's/70's involving sites at strand road Preston and Warton etc.

Millwall/West Ham

Villa v Birmingham

Luton v Watford

Wolves v West Brom

Etc etc

All same-sized clubs from the same area (with possible exception of Millwall/West Ham)... which was my point. Any confrontations that may occur only serve to fuel that rivalry.

Have you been for that brain scan yet snoop?

Not quite sure what you're referring to here.

All same-sized clubs from the same area (with possible exception of Millwall/West Ham)... which was my point. Any confrontations that may occur only serve to fuel that rivalry.

Not quite sure what you're referring to here.

I don't understand what qualifies as a genuine rivalry to you?

. Aye.

Today's boring quiz question, no cheating. 2 football teams were formed by Lancashire & Yorkshire loco works. RMI were one, who was the other?

Doncaster?

York?

I just find it confusing because there seems to be quite a few genuine rivalries. Anyway when's someone going to do a link to that rivalry survey from the early 2000s. Weren't we in the top ten most hated?

See that's the problem. Most hated doesn't necessarily mean that we have the most rivalry. It just means other clubs think our fans are all dicks.

You can't mess with time though, ask Michael J Fox at the under the sea dance. Plus, if they'd have increased the capacity there's no way they'd have built the pool and so I'd never have seen the dolphins as a child.

Everything for a reason. :)

See that's the problem. Most hated doesn't necessarily mean that we have the most rivalry. It just means other clubs think our fans are all dicks.

Seriously snoop...what are you on about??

You don't think Millwall v west ham is a genuine rivalry?

Or west Brom wolves?

Just because they are similar sized clubs?

I still don't get it.

What rivalry would you consider genuine??

I think you really need to learn how to read then... it was spelled out quite clearly.

just confused me as you said there was very few genuine rivalries but then explained your criteria and this qualifies loads of clubs as having genuine rivals? I don't think we've got a genuine rival but in that survey loads of clubs had us as second or third team they hate. Always the bridesmaid never the bride us. Besides wigan it would be Bury or tranmere I suppose and none of us want that wedding.