Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oslo & Tallinn

Smiley

Much to see & do? Any recommended tips, hotels, bars, restaurants, etc.

Possibly have 4-6 hours in Oslo city centre.

And 2 full days in Tallinn.

Got a wedding in Helsinki - but as I've previously been and didn't really want to return, I'm trying to enhance the trip either side and reduce time in Hel!!

T'other option is Copenhagen instead of Oslo - would have similar - 3-4 hours to explore (been Cop before, but not been since I was 8-9 years old).

Edited by Smiley

Got a wedding in Helsinki - but as I've previously been and didn't really want to return, I'm trying to enhance the trip either side and reduce time in Hel!!

T'other option is Copenhagen instead of Oslo - would have similar - 3-4 hours to explore (been Cop before, but not been since I was 8-9 years old).

Depends what you like, there is Akershus Fortress , world war 2 stuff, for a drink I would suggest Aker Brygger overlooks the water ( but it will not be cheap) or if you like museum’s you could go to Bygdoy that where the Viking ship and Fram Museum are, or if you have time you could go up to Holmenkollon to have a look at the ski jump, you can go to the top if you so wish

You could do all of Tallin in a day its Tiny, nice square and some good bars, Walk the city walks is a TV tower that you can go up and see the Views easy to get to on the Bus.

Stayed in the Radisson Blu had a great Sky Bar with views across the whole City.

also KGB muesum which was closed when we went based in Hotel but on a secert floor of it, was also a church tower you could go up and walk about outside.

Edit Call Olevisite Church

Edited by Elson

Oslo is so compact you can wander round and see most of it within a couple of hours. Everything you need eating and drinking wise can be found on Karl Johansgate,

If you are getting the train from the airport (which is fucking expensive, as is everything in scandinavia) get off at either sentrum or national theateret, which will see you in the middle of everthing.

Helsinki not worth visiting then?

Seen what I needed to see last time. Found it a bit grim.

It's planes trains & boats. Flying to Oslo Rygge - bus to city centre (sounds a drag - 1hr 40). Then following afternoon express train to Oslo Gard. (If I've read correctly its £20 for a 20 min journey - FFS!) & flight to Helsinki. Wedding. Bit of sightseeing & then ferry to Tallinn.

Edited by Smiley

Seen what I needed to see last time. Found it a bit grim.

It's planes trains & boats. Flying to Oslo Rygge - bus to city centre (sounds a drag - 1hr 40). Then following afternoon express train to Oslo Gard. (If I've read correctly its £20 for a 20 min journey - FFS!) & flight to Helsinki. Wedding. Bit of sightseeing & then ferry to Tallinn.

Went to Oslo in 2002, the train fares are about right.   See if JB from Doncaster has still got the sports bar in the main street

• 2 months later...

Self employed man in holiday surprise.

(Sent from my sunbed)

You taken your mobility scooter down to the Dog & Duck for a full English and 'Only Fools & Horses' re-runs yet today?

(Sent from the in-flight wifi en-route to Helsinki)

You taken your mobility scooter down to the Dog & Duck for a full English and 'Only Fools & Horses' re-runs yet today?

(Sent from the in-flight wifi en-route to Helsinki)

All inclusive mate. Jeremy Kyle on telly in room.

Edited by Ani

Didn't rate Tallin much...

of the three visited that particular year it came a poor third behind hamburg and prague...

Understandable if on lads trips - but for scoring lots of Brownie points it's a bob-on place for taking the little lady.

Was in Oslo on Monday & heading back there tomorrow after 5 days in Badeland gjestegaard. The train journey is just under 2 hours and cost 225 krona. About £22.50 at current rate one way. Paid on average £6.40 a pint in Oslo and its about the same price all over Norway for 0.4 litre. Guinness was £8.40 for a 0.6 litre. It is an expensive country to visit but the natives all speak English and are really friendly. I, d recommend it but warn the bank manager first.